Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 08:40 AM

45,671 posts, read 24,272,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
One more time. The facts speak for themselves.

NATO expenditures in 2016....

USA = $664B
Germany = $40B
France = $43B
All of Europe including Turkey = $238B

i.e. The USA is paying for 73% of the cost of NATO. Yet it's primary purpose is to protect Europe. Europe is benefiting greatly at the expense of the US taxpayer.
NO NO NO NO NO

The 664 Billion is not NATO EXPENDITURES...OMG -- the ignorance is mind boggling.

664 Billion is the total defense budget for the USA --- end of story. You don't even know what the figures you are presenting.

There is something alled NATO COMMON FUNDS BURDENSHARING. Each year the budget to operate NATO -- directly is reviewed and member countries pay a portion of that budget based on their Gross National Income.

The USA has always carried 22-25% of that budget -- which is not 664 billion but it is included in the 664 billion defense budget.

US Pays 22.1% of NATO Budget; Germany 14.7%; 13 Allies Pay Less Than 1%

It is amazing to me that people don't understand what they are arguing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,056,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So the US should show a strong military presence around the world, huh? Tell me: did you feel this way a year ago? Or are you just against anything that Donald Trump says?
Did I say that? Me thinks not. I believe we need to pull out of the ME, we have done more harm than good and at some point we need to realize that nothing we can do is going to change anything other than get more of our fine young Men and Women killed, after a decade and a half of constant war it is time to change our stand. Yes, we need to leave Some bases in Europe, there are good reasons to do so, without them it would very difficult to conduct any real missions if they were needed. Plus Putin would love us to pull out, and that is reason enough to leave some presence there, you forget that they are our allies and if they were to fall we would be alone between Russia and China, not good. I am against Trump because he is an idiot when it comes to foreign and domestic issues, has zero leadership skills other than manipulating his minority base, and as we are starting to see (as if his past was not proof enough) that he does not believe that the rules apply to him, something that may very well lead to his downfall. Yes, I want that Idiot out of the Whitehouse before he does even more damage to this Nation, Pence would be far more preferable to trump, he knows how the government works, including the office of President, he has a Party that supports him, for good or bad, and he is sane and I doubt he is a criminal. So the answer is yes I felt that way a year ago, I was against Obama arming anyone as I am against trump doing the same the SA's and Kurds, I wanted Obama to get our butt out of Iraq and to wrap it up in Afghanistan and get out of there also, we had done what we could in both. I was not a supporter of Hillary and I voted nearly straight Repub in the election, except for President for which I skipped, since there was no None of the Above as a choice.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 AM

2,944 posts, read 2,030,531 times
Don't have time to read through 36 pages but have a few of them. The idea that European countries can't count on the U.S. or the U.K. is laughable. It's quite clearly the opposite. Anyone that doesn't see it that way probably is from one of those European countries.

Heck, Germans can't even trust Angela Merkel to lead with their best interests at heart. Around 2 million Muslim invaders of her country that she defends over her own people as they gang rape, beat and kill Germans in their own country.

Germany was able to recover with much financial assistance from the United States from the destruction Hitler invited on it, but how exactly are they going to recover from the Muslim invasion that has ruined the country and turned it into a dangerous cesspool in many areas, including one of the most wonderful places on Earth, southern Bavaria? Before the call went out from an ISIS Imam for Muslims around the world to invade Europe, Germany already had around 5 million Muslims (mostly Turks) living in no-go zones. Muslims did not want ethnic Germans going into those areas, God help them if they did. The 5 million number is the number I heard in a news story, didn't fact check it, but I have no doubt it was in the millions. And 6.6 millions so-called refugees are waiting in Jordan, N. Africa, and Turkey, half of which are in Turkey. 6m refugees are waiting to travel to Europe | Daily Mail Online Wont be long before they are released into Europe, especially the ones in Turkey. Erdogan would love that, he'll find an excuse despite the agreement Turkey has with Europe.

Angela can't even lead properly as leader of Germany, how could she possibly be a reliable partner for the United States and Great Britain? And Macron of France is clearly an extremely arrogant man who is a left-winger. He'll be even less of a friend to the United States than Merkel the way it's looking so far.

Regarding NATO, the time to disband it and stop allowing Germany and other European countries from feeding off the teet of the United States for their expensive defense was around 1990. As the former Soviet Union was breaking apart we should have gradually wound NATO down and European countries should have relied on themselves for their own defense. One of the biggest reasons we have an approximate 20 trillion dollar debt is because we were Europe's army, navy and air force on our own dime. And what gratitude do we get from them? Practically none from their leaders of today.

With Putin leading Russia and invading Crimea and aggressively having his military use provocative actions against the U.S. and European countries, buzzing U.S. ships, etc., I thought, "Too late now to disband NATO. Have to stay united to protect against Russia's lunatic leader.".

Now though with Europe's leaders' mindsets being against the U.S. and the U.K., I think it is indeed time to wind NATO down. Let those countries build proper navies, armies, and air forces to protect themselves. We have housecleaning to do here in the United States, including actually balancing the budget, and reducing our debt.

So Frau Merkel, because it doesn't appear you have a good opponent to run against you, probably because you put them all in prison for faux hate speech, you'll probably win again. When you do, I suggest you open up your coffers and use all those Yankee dollars your country has acquired from the American taxpayer and servicemen and women who spent their paychecks while stationed there, and build your military up to where it needs to be to protect your people. Tired of you globalists, including E.U. globalists ruining your own countries.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
just give europe to putin...
Seems to be the plan, RR is rolling over in his grave.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 AM

26,691 posts, read 14,702,773 times
I am happy that some leeches are off our back!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Because of the ignorance of the average American, especially the Leftists, about our Constitution. We shouldn't have anything to do with this unholy alliance called NATO. Just my opinion, but I support Donald Trump in calling them out for not paying their share.

US contributes 3.61% ($650 M) of our GDP. Only 2% is required. We are going into debt and paying more than our share, while other countries are not paying even close to their share.

Obama was the worst President in U.S. History. I predict Trump will go down as one of the greatest. This trip was historic. He got better reception than Obama ever did everywhere he went.
USA does not contribute 3.61%, the USA has a TOTAL defense budget of 650 billion -- not million because it chooses to be a military power house.

The 2% is not REQUIRED it is a guideline for countries to work towards by 2024 for their OWN defense budget...not for NATO budget.

Do some reading kids and learn what you are debating.

That's all

Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am happy that some leeches are off our back!
What? What does this even mean?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You learned Math. Apparently they no longer teach Math (or History for that matter) to the Leftists.
Actually what is apparent is that WK is clueless when it comes to expenditures and GDP, as for history, those that believe Putin/Russia can be trusted have no business discussing or even using the word History.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Because of the ignorance of the average American, especially the Leftists, about our Constitution. We shouldn't have anything to do with this unholy alliance called NATO. Just my opinion, but I support Donald Trump in calling them out for not paying their share.

US contributes 3.61% ($650 M) of our GDP. Only 2% is required. We are going into debt and paying more than our share, while other countries are not paying even close to their share.

Obama was the worst President in U.S. History. I predict Trump will go down as one of the greatest. This trip was historic. He got better reception than Obama ever did everywhere he went.
USA does not contribute 3.61%, the USA has a TOTAL defense budget of 650 billion -- not million because it chooses to be a military power house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita..._United_States

Old 05-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

The 2% is not REQUIRED it is a guideline for countries to work towards by 2024 for their OWN defense budget...not for NATO budget.

Do some reading kids and learn what you are debating.

That's all
The information has been provided to them time and time again here, the problem is they refuse to grasp the facts or simply cannot grasp them.

Read? Their fearless leader does not read and he proudly admits that, that seems to be common trait with the ignorant.

Wasting time with the willfully ignorant, you would have better luck talking to a cat, at least it listens, well sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies