Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,238,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
A few deep breaths into a paper bag might help.
I think the mods should ban people who blatantly lie. This isn't an issue of politics. He's twisting an issue into something about policing how people eat. That's not what this is. It's frankly just giving consumers access to information so they can make informed decisions, which I fail to see how that's wrong. Even if one believes it's not the role of government to decide these things (and that's a valid position), to turn this into some vile act of malice designed to control what people eat is entirely dishonest, and not only do I respect people who do that sort of word smithing, I don't respect the people who tolerate it.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,524,753 times
I really wish c-d had autonomy where you could just vote on shutting down a thread. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it

Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,238,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I really wish c-d had autonomy where you could just vote on shutting down a thread. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it
That would be fantastic. Sort of like Reddit downvotes.

We can report posts that violate the ToS. It would be a stretch, but one rule is that threat titles be descriptive and I think it's fair to say a title that is ab absolute lie cannot be considered descriptive. But as if an allegory for the American republic, the current people we'd report this to tend to be more politically aligned with people like the OP. Most of this threads are like this and if it were up to me, he'd have been banned long ago.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 6,519,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Due to nafta and us corn dumping. Corn = high fructose corn syrup = fat people.
HFCS? Just dump it all onto the third world. It'll eventually solve the world's overpopulation problem.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,204,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I agree with all the "pro-info" posts here. But it's not just about calories. How about sodium level, cholesterol, calories from fat, simple sugars?

If you're over 50, have you had a VAP test (free yearly if you have an ACA approved insurance plan).

I'd guess that there's a high correlation between people that don't want nutritional information, and people that want to "go bare" on health insurance. I don't want to pay for their heart surgeries.
Good point. I just assume the sodium, cholesterol etc is going to be higher at a restaurant. Even higher at a chain - well, most likely. I live in an area that has more local restaurants and not so many chains (they are here if one really wants them). I have a few more years before 50. I need to Google VAP test cause I've never heard of it.

So yes, the calories are just one part. I actually think your point is more important than the calorie count. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if that was addressed. I also have a feeling the people that are against this don't care and may be of the larger body type. There may also be a correlation between education and health. We have anti-Obamacare people here that are probably on disability or are 350+ pounds. I don't want them to just die but they do need to advocate and take care of themselves. They may just not understand???

Old 04-09-2017, 10:36 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,466,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
The Food police pointing its crosshairs on pizza.

ObamaCare’s pointless war on pizza | New York Post
What a waste of money. I would rather have that money toward my deductible please. Everyone already knows how fattening pizza is, why do they think it's so popular.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,628,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I think the mods should ban people who blatantly lie. This isn't an issue of politics. He's twisting an issue into something about policing how people eat. That's not what this is. It's frankly just giving consumers access to information so they can make informed decisions, which I fail to see how that's wrong. Even if one believes it's not the role of government to decide these things (and that's a valid position), to turn this into some vile act of malice designed to control what people eat is entirely dishonest, and not only do I respect people who do that sort of word smithing, I don't respect the people who tolerate it.
I don't like posts like this one, either, but in defense of the mods, I suspect they already have their hands full, and probably on a volunteer basis. They should not be expected to fact-check, on top of everything else.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 AM

808 posts, read 752,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Good point. I just assume the sodium, cholesterol etc is going to be higher at a restaurant. Even higher at a chain - well, most likely. I live in an area that has more local restaurants and not so many chains (they are here if one really wants them). I have a few more years before 50. I need to Google VAP test cause I've never heard of it.

So yes, the calories are just one part. I actually think your point is more important than the calorie count. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if that was addressed. I also have a feeling the people that are against this don't care and may be of the larger body type. There may also be a correlation between education and health. We have anti-Obamacare people here that are probably on disability or are 350+ pounds. I don't want them to just die but they do need to advocate and take care of themselves. They may just not understand???
The referenced article didn't address it, but this one does:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...bvN/story.html

specifically

Quote:
Customers can request additional nutritional information that must be provided including total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, and protein.
That seems a bit cumbersome, but if the information is available it means it will probably also be accesable on the web.

For example, 2 slices of Papa Johns mushroom pizza:

Calories in Papa Johns Pizza Large Cheese Pizza With Mushrooms - Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com

Pretty good on protein, relatively low fat content. Horrible on salt content.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 AM

13,299 posts, read 7,910,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
The referenced article didn't address it, but this one does:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...bvN/story.html

specifically

That seems a bit cumbersome, but if the information is available it means it will probably also be accesable on the web.

For example, 2 slices of Papa Johns mushroom pizza:

Calories in Papa Johns Pizza Large Cheese Pizza With Mushrooms - Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com

Pretty good on protein, relatively low fat content. Horrible on salt content.
I've just passed a law that the salt must comprise half sodium and half potassium.

It's the law in my house.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
I love how this which isn't a ban at all on sugary beverages or trans-fats, it's just telling companies who don't have nutritional facts readily available (most do mind you) to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies