Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:43 AM

17,368 posts, read 11,335,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A beer to go with it.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt embellish the intent of the law with a war description but instead say its a way to give consumers nutritional knowledge they previously didn't have so they can make better choices if their health is important to them. If after reading the dietary info you still want to consume the whole pizza you are still free to do so.
Those who care already know and those who don't still won't. The government does not need to hold our hands over every action we may take.

There comes a point where enough is enough.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:54 AM

13,712 posts, read 9,039,522 times
It does not really fit my description of 'war'. More like, provide the consumer with information. Many will, of course, ignore the nutritional information.

I do like having nutritional information. As an insulin-dependent diabetic, being able to see the carb content of some product invariably will be a deciding factor. I always advise fellow diabetics to ignore such claims on cookies or such that claim to be 'sugar free', for the package will usually indicate a very high carb count.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 AM

809 posts, read 749,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Pizza is one of the most well balanced foods you can eat. A pizza can have vegetables, dairy, meat, and grains. It's a complete nutritious meal all on it's own with all the food groups. What more do you want?

More nutritional information is good. So are you in favor of this part of the ACA?

Every once in awhile I order a mushroom pie. I'd like to know its nutritional content.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 AM

17,368 posts, read 11,335,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
More nutritional information is good. So are you in favor of this part of the ACA?

Every once in awhile I order a mushroom pie. I'd like to know its nutritional content.
By putting mushrooms on your pizza, you're certainly adding lots of nutrients and vitamins.

The Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

I don't care about ACA one way or another except the food police always find fault with everything but tofu.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM

809 posts, read 749,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

I don't care about ACA one way or another except the food police always find fault with everything but tofu.
This isn't about finding fault. It's about providing more information. When I buy food in the supermarket I read the nutritional labels. I do the same when considering a restaurant (as long as they provide the info on their website).

Instead of calling them "food police", call them "food information providers". You can make your own decisions. More information makes for better decisions.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A beer to go with it.

Macro beer is pretty much a standardized product - the Bud you drink next week is going to be pretty much identical to the Bud you drink today, with the same nutritional content (or lack thereof).

The artisan restaurant sausage pizza you eat next week might be made by a new hire, and nutritionally different from the sausage pizza you eat today at the same restaurant. (e.g. it might have more or fewer calories, more or less cheese/sausage/sauce. etc) If restaurants have to standardize every dish, that would be a mess and a disaster. Mandated nutritional labeling in restaurants should be regarded as a ballpark estimate.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:40 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,659,250 times
These "efforts" at behavior-modification never work. One example article, of many you can find for yourself: (sorry it's a long quote)

"In New York City, menu label mandates began in 2008. Back then, people reported that they saw and used calorie counts more often than people did in restaurants without labels. However, every year after that, fewer and fewer people reported noticing them or considering them. Over time, customers started to ignore the labels. More significantly, at no time did the labels lead to a reduction in the calories of what diners ordered. Even if people noticed the calorie counts, they did not change their behavior.
The problem here is that while all of these studies are being packaged as new, we’ve known about much of this for years."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/01/u...high.html?_r=0

Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,604,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It boils down to this, you have two different types of people, those who give a crap about what they eat and those who do not. The people these types of rules are supposed to help don't give a lick about what they are eating. That 275 pound woman ordering the double bacon cheeseburger and supersizes the fries and Diet Coke knows how fattening that is but doesn't care.

People who actually care, will either have a real good idea how bad it is or they will take the 30 seconds necessary to Google it.

It doesn't really matter if that double bacon cheeseburger is 900 calories or 1700 calories. Everybody knows that it is going to have a negative affect on your body. You can eat it as an occasional treat or you can eat it regularly and shorten your life. Let's not pretend that it is some secret that it's high in calories and cholesterol.

Do you want to know what will really work? Fat shaming. If libs who are in favor of a nanny state want to pass a law that helps these fat slobs, do this, put a scale in front of the register with a height chart right behind it. The cashier sees 225 and 5'1", sorry you can only get the grilled chicken wrap with no dressing.

Drive through? "Sir, you look like you are probably too fat to order that. You can come in and use the scale if you believe I'm mistaken."
Come on, you are smarter than that. There is a big difference between requiring that the information be made easily available to the consumer and telling the consumer what to purchase. Some pizzas are an absolute disaster, nutritionally, and others are practically health food. More information is always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Wasted effort.

Maybe 1 in 1,000 will read and understand and make a decison based on that required information.

Maybe 1 in 1,000 will read the nute info to pass time waiting for the pizza.

More unnecessary cost for business and consumer.

A pizza isn't a spring green salad, anyone ordering a pizza knows this and doesn't care.
Depending on what toppings and dressing one puts on that salad, the pizza may actually be a better choice.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,562,495 times
You poor conservatives, it's almost like the government is forcing you to read! Lucky for you folks math is not your strong point anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.