Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 732,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We've never had such an Anti-American president who constantly belittles our intelligence and media whilst being totally devoted to a foreign leader and beholden to a foreign country .
Fake news!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,003,320 times
There is unfortunately hatred out there but the country is far from ungovernable. Sorry to those who would like it to be but that strategy will never work, especially with this President.

He'll clean up the mess Obama left behind, much of it intentionally, and he will control what the media has access to if need be. I am sure the MSM won't quit trying to rile up the left but if they don't tone it down I think they will eventually regret what they are doing.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,475,300 times
A local radio host name Todd Herman calls it the 'civil cold war' which I think is apt. I don't know whether he coined it.

There is just a fundamental divide between the forces of collectivism and individualism. Note that while the GOP has dominated in recent elections, collectivism still generally prevails in policy terms. As Jefferson said, it is generally the natural course of things that liberty recedes and government grows. One of the few areas I can think of where I've seen the reverse in my lifetime is gun rights. That is largely thanks to the NRA.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM

26,682 posts, read 29,035,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A local radio host name Todd Herman calls it the 'civil cold war' which I think is apt. I don't know whether he coined it.

There is just a fundamental divide between the forces of collectivism and individualism. Note that while the GOP has dominated in recent elections, collectivism still generally prevails in policy terms. As Jefferson said, it is generally the natural course of things that liberty recedes and government grows. One of the few areas I can think of where I've seen the reverse in my lifetime is gun rights. That is largely thanks to the NRA.
Civil cold war. No man is an island unto himself alone. So no one can survive all by himself. You need other people. Collectivism, to an extent. The problem is where do we draw the line?

I'm getting to think the country is not governable anymore. Some days I think it might still be possible but then Trump comes out with something really bullying and mean spirited and I change my mind. Never in my life have I seen it like this. The 60s weren't as bad as this, the Nixon era wasn't this bad. This Trump has stolen our country and has wild ideas about what he wants to do--most of them self-serving so he and his millionaire friends can make more money. He inherited a country in pretty good shape and he could have made it even better but he chose money over love of country. I don't think I can live with that.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM

186 posts, read 265,087 times
You have to remember the media slogan "if it bleeds...it leads"

They can't make money by saying "The US and the world were happy today. Everyone respected other people's views and everyone got along."

When I took journalism decades ago, we were taught how to keep our stories "neutral"; to just report the news. Now it seems like the bloggers in the media use the opposite techniques to incite contempt and create victims out of everyone.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,077,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I've never seen so much hatred in this Country not even during Vietnam era. Who do you blame the media or ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Blame the malcontents, Rush Limbaugh, Lou Dobbs, Hannity, and Fox News in general. Then the Tea baggers started their crap. Then Republican Obstruction for 8 years. Now, McConnell wants to know why the democrats are obstructing. Really? Republicans are either a little touched or have a case of Alzheimer's. Possibly both....
really? blame the right? you are only going back eight years, but you seem to forget the previous eight years when the left was spewing extreme hate against bush43 and republicans, and then dont forget the arrogance the democrats showed towards the republicans starting in 2007 when they took over congress, and still do today.

in fact lets point the finger where it should be pointed, the left in this country want it to be ungovernable so they can get what they want, an end to the constitution, and end to a president being elected every four years, and the installation of a dictator. and ye this includes a lot of left wing republicans as well, democrats are not alone in this.

also dont forget that democrats obstructed republicans in 2001-2007 when they were in the minority. surprisingly though, they worked together for the most part when clinton was in office, and republicans controlled congress.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,068,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Blame the malcontents, Rush Limbaugh, Lou Dobbs, Hannity, and Fox News in general. Then the Tea baggers started their crap. Then Republican Obstruction for 8 years. Now, McConnell wants to know why the democrats are obstructing. Really? Republicans are either a little touched or have a case of Alzheimer's. Possibly both....

No need to ask which political party you are registered with...........

Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Civil cold war. No man is an island unto himself alone. So no one can survive all by himself. You need other people. Collectivism, to an extent. The problem is where do we draw the line?

I'm getting to think the country is not governable anymore. Some days I think it might still be possible but then Trump comes out with something really bullying and mean spirited and I change my mind. Never in my life have I seen it like this. The 60s weren't as bad as this, the Nixon era wasn't this bad. This Trump has stolen our country and has wild ideas about what he wants to do--most of them self-serving so he and his millionaire friends can make more money. He inherited a country in pretty good shape and he could have made it even better but he chose money over love of country. I don't think I can live with that.

Specific examples? How will he make money with the immigrant tightening? How will he make money from loosening the EPA environmental statutes? How will he make money from Re-negotiating Trade treaties? You have any specific links with proof?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,401,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I've never seen so much hatred in this Country not even during Vietnam era. Who do you blame the media or ?
Don't blame anyone....but we've been divided for years and now the fuse is being lit by Donald J. Trump, so-called president and liar-in-chief.

He will tear this country apart. Believe it. If he doesn't implode soon, the war is coming.

Put a third world lying narcissistic a-hole dictator in the oval office and you have a recipe for civil war. And then there is Dr. Evil, Bannon who foments and feeds off of hate. Trump is his gasoline and is being used to fuel the fire.

I would say that you ain't seen nothing yet. It is going to get much much worse.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I'm still disgusted by what the democrats did to south Vietnam.............Trump is not even close to that.

History News Network | What Happened When Democrats in Congress Cut Off Funding for the Vietnam War?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies