Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:56 PM

51,701 posts, read 25,995,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Catholic church rather. I'm not Catholic or even religious. But yes, adultery, neglect, and abandonment are not grounds for annulment. Catching your spouse sexually abusing your child is not grounds for annulment. Protestants don't believe in marriage as a sacrament to begin with so the "sanctity of marriage" has much less meaning. Protestants don't have annulments as, well, marriage isn't a sacrament to them. Not sure what you or your husband are anyway. Annulment would never be a concern for me as I'm not Catholic so it wouldn't happen.
You're right. I did not realize that the sanctity of marriage was specific to Catholicism. I was using it in a more general term.

Isn't divorce still a no-no for Catholics? Or has that changed?

From what I can tell, Catholic annulments aren't that difficult to get. I know two people who got them after marriages that lasted for years and produced several children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:59 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,815,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The leading cause of divorce is marriage.
The leading cause of marriage is stupidity.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,512,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
From some old book:

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Gay marriage does not destroy families. Divorce does.
But God joined together a man and woman, so in essence gay marriage does the same as divorce.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:19 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
But God joined together a man and woman, so in essence gay marriage does the same as divorce.
In the U.S. - gay marriage is legally a marriage.

For God - gay marriage is not a marriage.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,367,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You're right. I did not realize that the sanctity of marriage was specific to Catholicism. I was using it in a more general term.

Isn't divorce still a no-no for Catholics? Or has that changed?

From what I can tell, Catholic annulments aren't that difficult to get. I know two people who got them after marriages that lasted for years and produced several children.
Generally, yes. But divorce is just a civil procedure so there's nothing the Church can do beyond saying don't get divorced just because your husband beats you, has affairs, and spends money gambling and on prostitutes so you have trouble paying the rent.

I suspect they never got an annulment. Annulments are NOT easy to get. They're recognizing that the marriage should not have occurred at the time. Accidentally married your cousin? You can get an annulment. Married someone who was (in the eyes of the church) married, you can get an annulment. Lots of Catholics don't really take it seriously though. Eg, I have family that is Catholic that have divorced and remarried. They couldn't get married in the Catholic church because they're bigamists as far as the Church is concerned but they did it anyway. They still show up at the Catholic church, however, with their new spouse and nothing really comes of it. From the Church's perspective, however, showing up with you new husband is basically like bringing the person your cheating on your wife with to Sunday dinner. That it regularly happens gives you an idea of how seriously most Catholics today take the sanctity of marriage (not seriously at all). Catholics are really the only ones that took it that seriously to begin with and they for the most part don't any longer is the point. Sanctity of marriage was not convenient for them so they disregarded it and the behavior is so common that no one bats an eye when the bigamists come to Sunday mass.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,512,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In the U.S. - gay marriage is legally a marriage.

For God - gay marriage is not a marriage.
Right, and the OP is referencing the Bible, hence my reply.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Right, and the OP is referencing the Bible, hence my reply.
I had no problem with your reply... I was just adding on...

Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,623,314 times
Nah, we evolve towards a beehive of the gender neutral corporate bees, much unlike peasant and hunter gatherers of the past we earn our living by selling our individual arses on the market and not by working together with a spouse/family, this removed "survival" foundation from under the family institution, what's left is largerly feel good (while it lasts) association of two individuals who could very well survive by selling their arses to the corporate pimp individually this removes the original glue of the marriage.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,390,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
From some old book:

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Gay marriage does not destroy families. Divorce does.
Since when does divorce get labelled as "EASY" ..Most Divorce is contentious however sometimes dissolution of marriage is agreed to by both parties..which is rare

Divorce ( whether man/women or gay marriage) can become dangerous and costly ( Court costs/lawyer fees) BUT getting away from abusers or cheaters is NOT EASY! Narcissists often isolate their partner..thus try to CONTROL..IF able the abused is able to escape..BUT the Controller often goes ballistic in their effort to demand "Obedience"!

It's far to easy to group together ALL marriages in the same bowel of relationships. Then of course complicated by religious demands and social demands. 9 out of 10 always blame the female..Thus the female who ( in the old days) was expected to endure abuse or control yet history has exposed the notion that females are actually more power than OLD School thinkers thought. This is not just feminism, but recognizing ALL human's a more than just an old notion "Role" to play..but have actual IMPORTANT skills that make a difference.

Back to Easy Divorce..Man..Unless a marriage for gain ( of convenience)..then of course for those who understand responsibility..ALL the rest become a "Money Pit' that only the lawyers benefit. It's not easy as OP claims!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:28 PM

51,701 posts, read 25,995,509 times
How do Catholics get "easy divorces?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies