Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times

Advertisements

yea go for it!!! ghana is a paradise, money falls from the sky and everything is free!!!!!
a lil bit o heaven here on earth.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

You are also right about freedom. What freedom? The US is a police state. It has creature comforts, not freedom.
To strengthen your point gwyn what freedoms do you feel you are lacking in the USA?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
While Ghana might be an interesting place to go for a vacation i think any one used to the American way of life would have a tough time adapting to the different lifestyle of Ghana=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ghana...iw=853&bih=538

Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To strengthen your point gwyn what freedoms do you feel you are lacking in the USA?
Economic freedom is severely lacking in the USA

Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You may want to check the laws and the race sentiments in Africa before you take off.

I was watching a televised documentary once, long time ago, on a situation that took place in Africa. I don't know what the guy did, but they put him in a ring of tires, set him on fire and rolled him down hill. That was the sentencing for whatever crime he committed.

I don't know what you may think of the ME and all the goings on over there, Africa SS different country.
Africa is not a country, you know that right? It's several countries with several distinct cultural groups within each country, just FYI...

Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Africa is not a country, you know that right? It's several countries with several distinct cultural groups within each country, just FYI...
Neither is the ME. FYI, I see my error. SS different countries.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-02-2016 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: quiting while ahead. :)

Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Economic freedom is severely lacking in the USA
How you figure, you allowed to make as much money as you want

Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While Ghana might be an interesting place to go for a vacation i think any one used to the American way of life would have a tough time adapting to the different lifestyle of Ghana=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ghana...iw=853&bih=538
Which exactly is my confusion about why Americans with no immediate family ties or immediate job opportunities would think they'd have a golden life in a place like Accra. As I mentioned in my previous posts, most people I know that move from the US to Ghana already have ties to the country. So any transition they make is easier and they have familiarity and experience navigating the culture. Even then, they complain about the "third world f*ckery" that they often have to deal with. My friend had this hilarious Facebook post about how some conpany tried digging up her driveway to lay down some cables and promised they'd "put all the bricks back where they belong". There was no notice or anything they just showed up and started digging up her driveway. She ended up parking her car over their tools to prevent them from doing it and sat outside watching them and threatening to call the police (which she'd probably have to bribe anyway lol). Also, another frequent issue is land disputes where someone sells a piece of land to multiple people and then you're left battling for ownership with other people that also have deeds to the same piece of land lol! Like I said, it's your typical "third world f*ckery".

There are several YouTube videos about people who move to Accra from the UK or US and struggle with a lot of the differences. Op, at the end of the day, you're an American regardless of your skin color. You'll have to keep this in mind if you're seriously considering this transition. There will be many things that you'll like but many other things that will be downright frustrating.

That being said, there is a great tv series called An African City which chronicles an expats life as she transitions to living in Accra after growing up in the US. It's s bit fantasy and Sex and the City like but many of the stories are taken directly from the writer/director's life as a "returnee". The series has been well received and written up in many high profile publications and media outlets like NPR, Vogue, CNN, Essence, Huffington Post, The New Yorker, and countless others: An African City

Old 08-02-2016, 11:42 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
I'll be moving to Brazil like you are moving if Hillary Clinton wins!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Preferably, Accra, Ghana.

For the simple reason of: I'm tired of America,

1. I'm tired of Monsanto and the lack of organic food options.
2. I'm tired of thinking about race (if everyone was black it would never get brought up to me)
3. I'm tired of the lackluster nightlife. Clubs closing at 2-3 with no establishment for after parties.
4. I'm tired of the senseless laws, there are too many laws in America, I can't even sneeze without getting questioned. I've travelled and it's the LEAST free place I've ever lived in. I swear the government monitors your bank account and if they see you not spending money for a month, somehow, someway you get a $300 parking ticket or traffic violation.
5. Too empty. Where are all the people? Besides New York we have no mega city.
6. Individualistic, small families, too many people with mental health issues. I don't know why people can't just be happy here.
7. Awkward and uptight (probably comes from all our laws), have you spoken to a mainstream American?
8. I feel like 95 % of the people I meet are social constructions and they pride themselves on being like everyone else.
9. Never been a fan of the looks that the British, Nigerian, Mexican, Chinese or these admixtures of people have. From the European world, I like Spain and Portugal. From Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Ethiopia. Asia, s Korea, Cambodia, phillapines. Latin world, brazil and Columbia. Call me vain but it seems we in the US got all immigrants from unattractive countries.

Just giving my 2 cents.
I wish you good luck then.

Some issues you might run into though, responding by the numbers you gave them:
1. You might find your organic options aren't much better. You certainly find less scrutiny preventing food contamination and there's just a lot less food period. If you have a lot of money, this won't be an issue of course.
2. You will almost certainly be seen as an outsider. Look at Liberia, where there are "Americans" that are black and then native blacks -- and they kinda hate each other. And if you're slave-descended, you've almost certainly got some white and other stuff in the mix, so you're going to be a lot lighter skinned and will probably be stigmatized as "that half-white guy" or something. There are also a lot of tribes all over Africa that got stuck in the same country but absolutely despise one another. Humans are just tribal by nature. We have this weird habit of needing to divide the world into "us vs them." There's really no getting away from it.

All the rest, I either have no argument or it's a matter of personal opinion. All of Africa is massively unstable and I personally wouldn't want to risk living there, but I certainly wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies