Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,960,478 times

Advertisements

OK, in looking at the topics and commentary with so much outrage, distrust and almost open revolt against the government it got me wondering what people really think.

How long do you think it will take for the US to become so crazy politically, racially and religiously that it bursts the seams and degenerates into separate countries?

Or will we just see a iron handed Stalinist type authoritarian tyranny form where anyone speaking out is sent to the gulag, or worse and the government has an overwhelming presence in every detail of life?

Or do you think things will somehow get better? If so how? How do we reconcile the growing divides between groups, beliefs and economic disparities? How do we get good, honest people to serve in office without turning power hungry?

Myself, I think that unless we see a sweeping shift of tolerance, a reduction of tyranical govt controls and some way to reduce crime and the effects of drugs without a police state, I say maybe 50 years before the whole place turns into some kind of european style chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
As long as the government can pay interest on its debt, everything should be stable. Also the unemployment rate isn't very high, so most people would rather hold down a job, rather than try to make waves.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
The late 60s, 70s, and 80s were far more tumultuous, at home and abroad. We made it through just fine.

Btw, we hit rock bottom ages ago; we called it The Bush Years.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,144,743 times
With unemployment at 5%, the lowest in many years, not much danger of collapse. Unless, we get another Bush as president, they are experts at ruining the economy.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
OK, in looking at the topics and commentary with so much outrage, distrust and almost open revolt against the government it got me wondering what people really think.

How long do you think it will take for the US to become so crazy politically, racially and religiously that it bursts the seams and degenerates into separate countries?

Or will we just see a iron handed Stalinist type authoritarian tyranny form where anyone speaking out is sent to the gulag, or worse and the government has an overwhelming presence in every detail of life?

Or do you think things will somehow get better? If so how? How do we reconcile the growing divides between groups, beliefs and economic disparities? How do we get good, honest people to serve in office without turning power hungry?

Myself, I think that unless we see a sweeping shift of tolerance, a reduction of tyranical govt controls and some way to reduce crime and the effects of drugs without a police state, I say maybe 50 years before the whole place turns into some kind of european style chaos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The late 60s, 70s, and 80s were far more tumultuous, at home and abroad. We made it through just fine.

Btw, we hit rock bottom ages ago; we called it The Bush Years.
I have to agree with Raymond here; many of my older friends told me stories about the Vietnam War time and things weren't all that great. Tho things COULD get real ugly between the growing anger against illegal aliens and Muslims.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 3,026 times
The Federal Govt will send every last man into the lines with a ar-15 before they let any state leave. The last time it was tired you know how it turned out. Long before a state separates, the well off and those who can, will have left the country for greener pastures. We aren't there yet, but it could happen in a generation or so.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfkppala View Post
The Federal Govt will send every last man into the lines with a ar-15 before they let any state leave. The last time it was tired you know how it turned out. Long before a state separates, the well off and those who can, will have left the country for greener pastures. We aren't there yet, but it could happen in a generation or so.
Every last man? I don't think it would last 5,000.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 PM

922 posts, read 807,597 times
30-50 years.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,144,743 times
If population trends continue, in 50 years the US will be majority Islamic. Europe will be in 30 years or less.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Every business/economic interest, not only in America, but across most of the world, has no interest in the collapse of the United States, and will do everything in their power to maintain the status quo.

Further, revolutions never originate from the people alone. Revolutions come from within the government, or are otherwise supported by foreign governments. At this point, no corporation benefits from an American collapse. Corporations are by their nature, internationalists. They always support "integration".

The American Revolution was supported by most of the wealthiest people in the country at the time, and it was only successful because of French intervention(who only supported us, to weaken their enemy, the British).

The Soviets collapsed, because the United States, and its ally, Saudi Arabia, conspired to collapse the Soviet economy, by collapsing oil prices in the mid-80's. Which then collapsed the ability of the Soviets to access foreign capital reserves, while they were in the midst of a very expensive foreign war(Afghanistan).

I don't see how the geopolitical and economic interests could possibly align at this point, to cause an American economic collapse/revolution. Especially how the economies of the world are becoming more and more interdependent(IE if America collapses, so does China).

If America began to appear to collapse, we are more likely to end up with an authoritarian government, than to actually collapse. Corporations much prefer Hitler, to anarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies