Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
He's probably earned more than he actually makes. But of course, the entitlement class has to take their cut first.

And he continues getting more education, to be the best he can be at his job. He is only in his thirties, and has a very good life ahead of him, yes we are proud of him and our daughter, who also does very well for herself.

He has a high position, and the salary to go along with it, but this does not mean he does not work his butt off, because he does. I come from an Italian background, where work ethics were emphasized. And having pride in yourself matters.

He complains about those who want something for nothing, and why shouldn't he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:12 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
She doesn't work. Shocker, I know.
I don't!
But I did work full-time for 47 years. The real shocker is that my current income tax rate is higher than it was in any year I worked.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:32 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,302,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Define "living wage". If I were 19 years old, with few skills and was only making say $9 an hour, I'd be looking for roommates and a dumpy apartment to rent CHEAP. Cost is the main consideration. Cheap place to work, cheap food (no eating out, lots of Top Ramin) while say taking some classes in welding, carpentry or machining. What I would't do is knock some girl up with no way of providing for a child. Thing is, today everyone that is only willing to put in a "minimum wage" level of effort wants to live like the upper middle class in their own McMansion, nice car, let alone iPhone 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers = psychopaths

Why can't they pretend their tax money goes toward the military industrial complex they adore so much? Or the corporations they defend so vigorously? Because that's where the VAST majority of their tax money actually is spent.
Good. The US gets a return on that investment instead of shovelling money into mouths of liberal entitlists.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:03 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good. The US gets a return on that investment instead of shovelling money into mouths of liberal entitlists.
The "return" on defense/war spending = trillions in debt, thousands of civilian and military casualties. Flag draped coffins galore. Great investment!

Conservatives are a bizarre bunch.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,119,843 times
Hey, I'm still waiting on the answer to my question. If everybody is entitled to healthcare (at the expense of others) due to the belief that without it they will die, does that mean that receiving said healthcare will keep them alive forever?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 PM

34,292 posts, read 17,382,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The "return" on defense/war spending = trillions in debt, thousands of civilian and military casualties. Flag draped coffins galore. Great investment!

Also more homeland safety than 98% of the planet, and a tremendous amount of high paying civilian jobs directly related to defense.

As for flag drapped coffins, in ten years we lost about 1/6th the Vietnam casualty count. Bad but not enormous by any means.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:12 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,857,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Who the hell are YOU to judge the worth of another human being?
Oh you are judged lower than you know.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,857,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Why should someone who works a 40 hour week not expect to make a living wage?
What do you do?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:16 PM

5,314 posts, read 2,374,711 times
The only way people have anything in the first place is either a) they harvested or produced it themselves, or b) someone else did. Unless you made it happen yourself, you're not entitled to anything, because you would be claiming a right to someone else's time and effort.

As I said in another thread, on a remote island by yourself, what does it even mean to be entitled to something? You have to provide for yourself or you die. You can't sit there saying you have a right to food and shelter because nobody else is going to do it for you.

If you say "well we aren't alone...we live in a society" then you're missing my point. If you spend your day chopping logs to build a shelter and fishing for your dinner on the island, is another person who didn't help you entitled to those things? You can be nice and help them, but they don't have a right to your stuff just because they need it.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Also more homeland safety than 98% of the planet, and a tremendous amount of high paying civilian jobs directly related to defense.

As for flag drapped coffins, in ten years we lost about 1/6th the Vietnam casualty count. Bad but not enormous by any means.
Ignoring the tens of thousands of civilian lives we snuffed out thanks to Bush's idiotic wars of choice. But yeah, we didn't extinguish as many lives like we did in Vietnam, ya us .

That doesn't even warrant a golf clap.

Lol @ right-wingers touting government-aided job creation when it's convenient. That's too funny. To borrow a popular conservative phrase--why should my tax dollars go towards the creation of weapons of death? Let the war hawks pay for their toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies