Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:31 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,347,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The deficit ballooned under George Bush after the Dems got control of the House and Senate, then went to an all time high when the Dems controlled the Presidency, House and Senate. Now that we elected Republicans to control the House and Senate, the Community Organizer has been doing better.
Its easy spending other peoples money.

Why I favor term limits for all politicians.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:38 AM

12,160 posts, read 6,710,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Clintons surplus was a sham. He borrowed money from social security to pay down public debt. I thought everyone knew this by now, but maybe those partisan blinders are thick.
I did not know this.
Is this why SS is bankrupt?
I was always told they take our SS out of our paychecks, invest it for our future when we later take it back out with the accrued interest it earned so it was a balanced thing. I never understood why all the SS monies disappeared. And now people think taking SS is a form of welfare.

Was it only Clinton who stole our SS money, or did other presidents do this also?

Last edited by mountainrose; 10-16-2015 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 06:41 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,386,227 times
On this subject here is my favorite link: U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time. As of this time we are about $18 and a half trillion away from balanced. There are so many that argue that balancing is unimportant. But as individuals, if you don't have the money to pay your taxes, our government will not give you a free pass because you overspent. The same should apply to them.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,411,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I did not know this!
I was always told they take our SS out of our paychecks, invest it for our future when we later take it back out with the accrued interest it earned so it was a balanced thing. I never understood why all the SS monies disappeared. And now people think taking SS is a form of welfare.

Was it only Clinton who stole our SS money, or did other presidents do this also?

Lyndon Johnson started this when he rolled all of SS into the General Fund and issue IOUs for what was taken.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 AM

45,528 posts, read 26,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I did not know this.

your money is not set aside for you. Money taken out of your check today is given to someone else with no obligation for you to recoup any of it.
When and if you ever collect, it will be at the expense of someone with a job.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,569,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
your money is not set aside for you. Money taken out of your check today is given to someone else with no obligation for you to recoup any of it.
When and if you ever collect, it will be at the expense of someone with a job.
This. At some point, someone is going to be left holding the bag. Like a game of musical chairs.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:57 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,509,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's completely ludicrous to think the actions of Bush Jr wouldn't impact the next president....

Two major wars, Medicare Part D, Dept of Homeland Security, etc. on top of tax cuts followed by the worst global financial crisis...

When Bush Jr took office in 2000, China's GDP ~1 trillion USD and now it's over 6 trillion USD in 2015. The world has changed son.
Bill Clinton is responsible for the increase in China's GDP son.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:01 AM

78,860 posts, read 46,995,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's completely ludicrous to think the actions of Bush Jr wouldn't impact the next president....

Two major wars, Medicare Part D, Dept of Homeland Security, etc. on top of tax cuts followed by the worst global financial crisis...

When Bush Jr took office in 2000, China's GDP ~1 trillion USD and now it's over 6 trillion USD in 2015. The world has changed son.

I believe it was Clinton that signed the China Free Trade Act, in 2000 right before leaving office.
That is not to say NAFTA HW. Bush's son, wouldn't have signed it too.
No matter what Progressive party you pick, the American people are screwed, by the corporate world that run governments with their money and influence.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 19,813,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Its easy spending other peoples money.

Why I favor term limits for all politicians.
Well you have idiots that give all the credit or blame to the President not realizing apparently that it's Congress' job to pass a budget and the President to sign or not sign. And I'm guessing the idiot % that has this idea to be quite high, particularly among Democrat voters (those without the ability to use logic, cause and effect). They believe the President rules without interference. This whole thread is based on the premise that Obama rules and decides everything.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:18 AM

8,922 posts, read 5,693,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Take your meds and ask your mother before you use her computer again. He's collected record taxes and doubled debt. He's a complete cluster..
You obviously watch too much Faux news. Go spin your crap to someone who will listen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies