Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 PM

63,349 posts, read 29,423,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"mutt" nation.

Sounds like a downer...

I for one have parents who are immigrants, now American citizens. They wanted to assimilate in terms of living the American dream, but I don't think they felt they should forget their mother country, their culture or their first language. I've seen first hand how both can be had.

Not sure anyone could detect my father was not native born, also spoke perfect English before coming to this country, but he never got the hang of American sports or rock-and-roll or hamburgers. Always complained no one knew how to make a good cup of coffee in the states...

My mom on the other hand still has an accent, but loves her home here in America and the life they have enjoyed, both pretty well successful in their own right, both bi-lingual that is more than most Americans can claim.

I for one enjoy the cultural differences here, pretty much all of them. I still remember when I took my family for a vacation in Italy. After so many days, we were so wanting something other than Italian food, we could hardly take it (and I LOVE Italian food), but it was hard to find any other cuisine! Even in Rome!

No such problem here in the states...

We've got it all here, and what's wrong with that?
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Nothing wrong with ethnic "businesses". What I am talking about is assimilation out in mainstream America. I don't care what culture or language ones chooses to
practice at home. If I truly want to experience a foreign culture in every way I will visit that foreign country. I don't need it in my face 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,455,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
If they are so unwelcomed as to form a colony then why are they here in the first place?
Because they don't let right-wing xenophobes dictate what course of action to take with their lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Nothing wrong with ethnic "businesses". What I am talking about is assimilation out in mainstream America. I don't care what culture or language ones chooses to
practice at home. If I truly want to experience a foreign culture in every way I will visit that foreign country. I don't need it in my face 24/7.
Tough tamales, right-winger. You'll listen to foreign languages and like it.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,334,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't get the logic: because Timothy McVeigh bombed a federal building, western nations should have not have misgivings about increasing numbers of Muslims in their countries. I guess? Is that the argument?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,455,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I don't get the logic: because Timothy McVeigh bombed a federal building, western nations should have not have misgivings about increasing numbers of Muslims in their countries. I guess? Is that the argument?
The point is, unlike Muslims, no one condemns all Christians for the actions of a few.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM

500 posts, read 320,981 times
Quote:

You are much too logical (and sensible) to be in this cyber neighborhood!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,334,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The point is, unlike Muslims, no one condemns all Christians for the actions of a few.
You can condemn whomever you want. The point is that we don't need people bringing the worst aspects of Middle Eastern culture here to the States. Timothy McVeigh has nothing to do with it.

As to the original point: I don't see how any of this would make one a fascist. And if it's racist, then oh well. You shouldn't base policy decisions solely on whether something is "racist" or not.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,958,769 times
Quote:
You can condemn whomever you want. The point is that we don't need people bringing the worst aspects of Middle Eastern culture here to the States. Timothy McVeigh has nothing to do with it.

As to the original point: I don't see how any of this would make one a fascist. And if it's racist, then oh well. You shouldn't base policy decisions solely on whether something is "racist" or not.
Agreed. Too; "Islam", like "Hispanic", ain't even a race.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,527,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Several European countries have traditionally been very proactive about preserving their unique cultures, many even having laws on the books to keep things a certain way.
What laws?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,958,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What laws?
French language law and, word is Iceland's real tough about keeping their language "pure".

Old 09-29-2015, 09:35 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,527,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
French language law and, word is Iceland's real tough about keeping their language "pure".
France's language law is the Tourbon law and requires the use of French in commercial contracts, government funded education, some broadcast media and the workplace, there are no restrictions against speaking or writing in another language in private non-commercial settings. I searched and can't find any reference to Iceland having any specific language laws...they do try to resist bastardization of their ancient language, but English is compulsory in school.

Neither country prohibits the use of another language, so I'm not sure why this topic is relevant to the US, do we need to tell businesses to conduct transactions in English, or maybe some people would like language laws here to prohibit people from speaking in Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies