Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM

63,605 posts, read 29,792,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"Who the heck is talking about tourists?"

Tourists are people of foreign cultures, and I think foreign cultures is at least a good part of the subject at hand here, the exposure to them. Either way, I mentioned the tourists around me, because I can't always tell if they are tourists or locals, but same applies and/or who cares?

Good people are good people regardless where they are from. Same with the bad people. Good vs bad is about the only distinction that really matters all considered.
Just the fact that you can't tell a tourist from a local makes my point about non-assimilation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,516,743 times
Quote:
"They did not insist on Sharia law being installed in lieu of our constitution."

Who is they?

If this is yet another broad brush to paint an entire group of immigrants, then a word of caution. Again there are millions of American Muslims living in America who have not made any efforts to change the constitution.

If we are talking about people like Kim Davis who feel their beliefs trump the constitution, then of course we are all agreed. The law of the land trumps those beliefs, but the law applies equally to all, not just those you want to pick on...
And there are a ton who do. So what is your point.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:37 PM

659 posts, read 315,946 times
"Just the fact that you can't tell a tourist from a local makes my point about non-assimilation. Thanks."

You are welcome, but before you give me too much pat on the back, I'm not so sure I have helped make your point, nice as this seems to make you feel.

First of all, many tourists are visiting family, so needless to say, it is hard to tell which is which, but clearly they are foreigners given the language they are speaking. I have even spoken to some, and usually one if not all can also speak English. How does any of this mean they have not assimilated? Because they can speak a foreign language?

Perhaps more importantly, does a different language spoken, different clothing, different color skin, different food suggest non-assimilation?

Is that the goal here, that we can't tell from what culture a person may have come? That we all be indistinguishable???

Boy! Reminds me a bit of that first Apple commercial...

Conformity also went over big with the Nazis and look where that got 'em!

Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM

"So what is your point?"

I hope you don't mind I added the question mark.

My words are plain to read, my points as well.

What confuses you?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:41 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,266,280 times
Quote:
there are millions of American Muslims living in America who have not made any efforts to change the constitution.
And, at point in the future, if Muslims outnumber other groups in this country, do you think they'll keep the Constitution? Or shred it in favor of Sharia Law?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,171,067 times
Life in America was much better prior to the progressive movement.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,454,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The same thing can be said for resenting hoards of Hispanics coming into the community and being expected to adopt their culture and language, rather than vice versa.
Ahh... I agree and relate, since black people are still being coerced by a dominant infrastructure to do the same.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:53 PM

63,605 posts, read 29,792,161 times
Quote:
"Just the fact that you can't tell a tourist from a local makes my point about non-assimilation. Thanks."

You are welcome, but before you give me too much pat on the back, I'm not so sure I have helped make your point, nice as this seems to make you feel.

First of all, many tourists are visiting family, so needless to say, it is hard to tell which is which, but clearly they are foreigners given the language they are speaking. I have even spoken to some, and usually one if not all can also speak English. How does any of this mean they have not assimilated? Because they can speak a foreign language?

Perhaps more importantly, does a different language spoken, different clothing, different color skin, different food suggest non-assimilation?

Is that the goal here, that we can't tell from what culture a person may have come? That we all be indistinguishable???

Boy! Reminds me a bit of that first Apple commercial...

Conformity also went over big with the Nazis and look where that got 'em!
I guess you don't know sarcasm when you read it? It certainly was no pat on the back. The fact is that for the most part in regular neighborhoods it isn't tourists you are seeing or listening to. Oh, now the Nazi card comes out. Bye, onto my ignore list you go. I am getting sick to my stomach now.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
And, at point in the future, if Muslims outnumber other groups in this country, do you think they'll keep the Constitution? Or shred it in favor of Sharia Law?
Seems like nothing but "good old boy" sentiments here. Are we all WASPs? Maybe never talked to a Muslim who is not so much about Sharia law? Got it in for Mohammad Ali too? Kareem Abdul Jabbar? Cat Stevens?

Not able to tell a terrorist from anyone else?

Sure you're scared. It's a scary world out there and America has lots of enemies. What's new?

All I would suggest is that we try to tone down the anti-foreigner sentiments and instead maybe do better at electing the right government officials to legislate and enforce the right immigration laws, not at the expense of any one people, but as we have always championed in America -- for all -- not just your kind.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM

"I am getting sick to my stomach now."

Maybe because I have immigrant parents, I am not as inclined to simply accept these anti-foreigner notions as expressed here, but when it comes to getting sick to the stomach, PLEASE!

The Nazis were famous for enforcing assimilation and that is a word littered throughout this thread, not my word. You don't like the comparison?

Of course not!

You don't think the comparison is appropriate just because the Nazis went to extremes?

Tough for you. I disagree.

Of course you can always go where people are more inclined to agree with you. No doubt that makes your tummy feel better.

I disagree but I wish you all the best wherever you may roam, just hopefully not in my neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies