Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,498,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009;

If the law states that gay marriage is legal, I am sure that there are many, many judges and clerks who do not have religious convictions that oppose such arrangments who can conduct these ceremonies.
A JUDGE would likely be able to not officiate based on religious belief. Since officiating is not part of the job description.

That judge would henceforth be arguably recusable for any issue (or even, Plaintiff or Defendant) who is gay and has a case before them, but the DISCRETION is what separates the CLERK from the JUDGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,287,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't think she can state "religious beliefs" in defense of her actions. She is merely defying the law (as I would expect of a gay activist). She should be removed from the bench.

It is quite a different tale.

Gays seem to understand THEIR rights, but completely disregard the rights of others. It is like when smokers used to spoil your dinner in restaurants.

If the law states that gay marriage is legal, I am sure that there are many, many judges and clerks who do not have religious convictions that oppose such arrangments who can conduct these ceremonies.
She is not defying the law since no laws requires any judge in that state to marry anyone.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,864,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A JUDGE would likely be able to not officiate based on religious belief. Since officiating is not part of the job description.

That judge would henceforth be arguably recusable for any issue (or even, Plaintiff or Defendant) who is gay and has a case before them, but the DISCRETION is what separates the CLERK from the JUDGE.
Thanks for repeating this - again.

A generalization I am beginning to form about anti-SSM folks - they don't read threads before they post. Another generalization - they don't understand calendars.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 AM

31,414 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You're gonna have to be more specific. Which things? The Rapture? Armageddon? The majority Catholic US Supreme Court countenancing the imposition of sharia law in Detroit (or is it Dearborn)? People marrying their cats? Pedophiles marrying little kids? God smiting gay people? More plagues? Josh Duggar being persecuted because he's an upright moral christian? Obama declaring himself dictator (or god - I can't keep it straight)? Michelle Obama being a man?
Apparently you have a hard time reading and just like to ramble on as if everyone who doesn't walk in lock step with you is a Righty. I was specific wrt Trans and Polys.

Of course Gay marriage has opened the door for Transgender and Poly issues to be brought for front of the news. Why would it not? Equal rights for all tax paying adults is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies