Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Does not surprise me in the least, Oregon is bizzaro-world crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oregon is not the first or only state whereby the state's Medicaid System will provide " treatment" for gender identification, including surgery provided prerequisites are met. What appears to make Oregon remarkable is the age of medical consent law. I took a quick spin thru the law and it appeared to be limited to certain medical services. In other words, it did not strike me as broad enough to cover gender reassignment surgery.

Perhaps I missed something.

I am on an I- Pad and DK how to link.

I cannot imagine a medical professional prescribing hormone treatment to ward off puberty, let alone perform sex reassignment surgery on a minor. Sounds like doing so would have a substantially higher degree of medical malpractice risk , over time.

As an aside, gender reassignment surgery is excluded under most healthcare plans.

I do not understand gender dyphoria.
Nah, you didn't miss anything, this is nothing more than a shock fluff piece from Fox News hoping their viewers won't bother to check the facts.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Does not surprise me in the least, Oregon is bizzaro-world crazy.
Says the one living in Spokane....that's an interesting town....

Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The sad irony of the story is that you can be a parent with a child who thinks he or she is the wrong gender, and that child can go have his or her genitals permanently altered with YOUR tax dollars. And all of this can occur without your knowledge.

Liberals truly are ruining this once great country.
This once great country...as you put it, has been a man's country where everyone else was considered inferior. Women finally found equality but others were not so fortunate. There has always been gays and transgenders who have had to suppress themselves because of the backlash they would receive. I'm not sure how liberals are ruining this country when they just want everyone to be accepted for who they are.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
The typical treatment for a transgender minor is hormones to delay puberty and if the minor, after therapy, decided to continue with gender transition, then they begin the hormones to cause the appropriate puberty. The blockers are not at all permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oregon is not the first or only state whereby the state's Medicaid System will provide " treatment" for gender identification, including surgery provided prerequisites are met. What appears to make Oregon remarkable is the age of medical consent law. I took a quick spin thru the law and it appeared to be limited to certain medical services. In other words, it did not strike me as broad enough to cover gender reassignment surgery.

Perhaps I missed something.

I am on an I- Pad and DK how to link.

I cannot imagine a medical professional prescribing hormone treatment to ward off puberty, let alone perform sex reassignment surgery on a minor. Sounds like doing so would have a substantially higher degree of medical malpractice risk , over time.

As an aside, gender reassignment surgery is excluded under most healthcare plans.

I do not understand gender dyphoria.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:12 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Accepted for who they are? Yet you're condoning a 15yr old snipping his male part off and pumping himself full of female hormones - yes, bc that's who he is.

This is just mentally sick, the whole trans thing is. My mom slapped me silly when I came home at 15 after I got my ear pierced. I can only imagine if I came home a girl and told her to call me Katie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This once great country...as you put it, has been a man's country where everyone else was considered inferior. Women finally found equality but others were not so fortunate. There has always been gays and transgenders who have had to suppress themselves because of the backlash they would receive. I'm not sure how liberals are ruining this country when they just want everyone to be accepted for who they are.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:38 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Accepted for who they are? Yet you're condoning a 15yr old snipping his male part off and pumping himself full of female hormones - yes, bc that's who he is.

This is just mentally sick, the whole trans thing is. My mom slapped me silly when I came home at 15 after I got my ear pierced. I can only imagine if I came home a girl and told her to call me Katie.
If your mom is a liberal she would be proud of how courageous you were. If she is sane she would be mortified.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:02 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't think this forum understands how poorly Oregon is run. I think when Democrat policy wonks get together to discuss ideas, they go "so where are we actually going wrong?" and their response is "ah yes, Oregon."
Is it really poorly run? I know there has been a lot of controversy about the Healthcare mandate and the way it was handled in your state, but aside from that and this stupid new law, I have never heard anything bad about Oregon.

As for this law, wow! I can't imagine it will be allowed to stand for long. Even with supportive parents and community, a 15-year old should never go through a sex change operation. Even adults have a hard time with it. Personally, I don't believe in changing your sex for any reason, even if one feels like a different gender in their mind. Just dress the part and live the part, but don't go hacking anything off or adding stuff. I've heard a great number of doctors who have quit doing sex change operations because of the unhappiness of the people who received them.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM

906 posts, read 712,477 times
Humans...

If my child came home the opposite sex I'd sit him down and explain to him that since he is now capable of making his own decisions, he is capable of living on his own and that he has a week to vacate the premises otherwise I shall be forced to hqve him removed.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Humans...

If my child came home the opposite sex I'd sit him down and explain to him that since he is now capable of making his own decisions, he is capable of living on his own and that he has a week to vacate the premises otherwise I shall be forced to hqve him removed.
Sounds like poor parenting, may I suggest forgoing having children if you just plan on abandoning them the moment they make a decision you don't agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies