Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,377,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The saddest statement is that Mr. Ledger's legacy is that one movie.
Oh no, the lasting legacy of an actor is going to be a movie that they were proud to make?

Per his own words:
``It felt like a story that had never been put to screen,'' Ledger told Oprah Winfrey in 2006.
I doubt any actor would be sad to know that people will remember them by a character they played. Many actors would only be sad to know they died anonymous.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,477,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Well...not sure if the sort of neon green smiley means you're being facetious or not, but I'm the same way (on the prudish side). I try as much as I can not to be bothered by sexual acts in movies...and in the case of this one, there really wasn't much there to be offended by.
I was trying to lighten it up. Then Lord B implied that I was a murderer, and kind of destroyed the mood...

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 1,009,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Okay, so the fact that he was just an overall nice guy and did lots of charity work is a yawn too. I guess his work for ALAFA and for U.S. Variety - About Variety mean nothing because he had no value to you.

This is a famous actor who would take the time to stop and help someone change a flat tire on their car, or walk up to a woman in the mall and ask her if she was feeling okay because she looked sick. He wasn't your average "normal" self-absorbed Hollywood star.
OK, so, like, thousands of people die every day who were probably profoundly better people than him- no news coverage. He is best known for some stupid Cowboy/Sodomy role in a retarded movie but because he worked with some charity, we're supposed to overvalue his importance and actually care that he offed himself by way of his own decisionmaking process...

Yeah, OK.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well one could say your rationale has made for many bitter old men.....
you seem young enough to change that though....
I just don't think that unpleasantness and talent are synonymous.

Many do.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Oh no, the lasting legacy of an actor is going to be a movie that they were proud to make?

Per his own words:
``It felt like a story that had never been put to screen,'' Ledger told Oprah Winfrey in 2006.
Wow. That is like so heavy.

Quote:
I doubt any actor would be sad to know that people will remember them by a character they played. Many actors would only be sad to know they died anonymous.
Indeed. So now he's famous. Ta dah.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:40 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,173,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I was trying to lighten it up. Then Lord B implied that I was a murderer, and kind of destroyed the mood...
Is this you 'coming out' as a cowboy?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM

5,171 posts, read 11,489,705 times
Sheesh, what was supposed to be so SHOCKING about this movie? Two guys having sex? Give me a break. Most movies show hetero sex, so what is the big deal????
The movie didn't shock me for one second and I thought it was a good portrayal how hard it must have been for gays, and still is now, in some parts of this country. Wasn't there a gay man beaten to death not that long ago, just because he was gay?
Why anyone would feel anger or contempt for Heath Ledger playing this role, is simply beyond me. I have seen him in a couple of other movies and think he was a good actor.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:42 PM

68,436 posts, read 54,913,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
OK, so, like, thousands of people die every day who were probably profoundly better people than him- no news coverage. He is best known for some stupid Cowboy/Sodomy role in a retarded movie but because he worked with some charity, we're supposed to overvalue his importance and actually care that he offed himself by way of his own decisionmaking process...

Yeah, OK.

Blame the media, not the man.

I doubt he lived his life with the intent to cause a media circus upon his death.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:42 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,377,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post

Yeah, OK.
Appearently the President feels enough concern to cancel their event.

Just remember, one actor dies and the President changes course, almost 4000 dead US soldiers and tens of thousand disabled, the President doesn’t have the same concern to change course.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Is this you 'coming out' as a cowboy?
LOL / Okay, knock it off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies