Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM

118 posts, read 626,770 times

Advertisements

The death of actor Heath Ledger prompted the White House to postpone President Bush's event on Wednesday promoting an ad campaign aimed at preventing prescription drug abuse.

Bush cancels event after Ledger's death - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I Don't know...I'd Think BECAUSE Heath's Death is hitting so hard with so many people, that this is a GREAT time to get the message across!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,798,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post
The death of actor Heath Ledger prompted the White House to postpone President Bush's event on Wednesday promoting an ad campaign aimed at preventing prescription drug abuse.

I Don't know...I'd Think BECAUSE Heath's Death is hitting so hard with so many people, that this is a GREAT time to get the message across!!
AGREED! totally...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,234,655 times
Well, I for one, would see the ad and take the impression that the ad is running because of Heath Ledger. I actually agree with the postponement.

That or Bush needs time to mourn the loss of the actor for a potential BrokeBack Mountain 2.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,473,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, I for one, would see the ad and take the impression that the ad is running because of Heath Ledger. I actually agree with the postponement.

That or Bush needs time to mourn the loss of the actor for a potential BrokeBack Mountain 2.
The film was a disgraceful slur on our country, for which I will always hold Ledger in deep contempt, though his death was regrettable.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,172,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The film was a disgraceful slur on our country...
How so? Are you saying that for political reasons or do you just think it was a crappy movie?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 4,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post

Why would Bush postpone the event? Really? It's not like Ledger was a national hero or role model, nor someone who was really politically active (at least as far as I can recall). Yes his death was a surprise to me, but they haven't even conclusively figured out what happened yet. Do others unrelated and otherwise unintroduced to him really need time to mourn him?

He was a celebrity and yes he was a fellow American and father, and someone who I thought was a great young actor. However, those things should not have any sway over what and how the US President operates. This seems like gossip, a poor judgement call, or a convenient excuse. In any case just bizarre.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
How so? Are you saying that for political reasons or do you just think it was a crappy movie?
The latter -- though the film was made for political reasons.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Why would Bush postpone the event? Really? It's not like Ledger was a national hero or role model, nor someone who was really politically active (at least as far as I can recall). Yes his death was a surprise to me, but they haven't even conclusively figured out what happened yet. Do others unrelated and otherwise unintroduced to him really need time to mourn him?

He was a celebrity and yes he was a fellow American and father, and someone who I thought was a great young actor. However, those things should not have any sway over what and how the US President operates. This seems like gossip, a poor judgement call, or a convenient excuse. In any case just bizarre.
Maybe it's because Bush, contrary to the opinion of many on this form, is a sensitive human being, who felt that the timing of the event might bring more undeserved suffering to Mr. Ledger's family.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM

15,909 posts, read 21,627,279 times
Quote:
The latter -- though the film was made for political reasons.
Do you hold the same contempt for ANY bad movie set in the US?

I do think it's a little ridiculous to cancel. Hundreds of people die every day from overdosing on medications- accidental or on purpose. Yes, it's tragic that such a famous person died. However, what better time to educate people?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,377,543 times
Quote:
The film was a disgraceful slur on our country, for which I will always hold Ledger in deep contempt, though his death was regrettable.
Rampant immigration with no real solutions, an economy going in the toilet, a failed foreign policy, 3929 US Military deaths and tens of thousands of disabled; those not a slur but a hollywood movie about gay cowboys is? Interesting point of view.

Interesting comment in the article:
"We thought it would be better to postpone the event rather than run the risk of anyone thinking that we were being opportunistic in highlighting the issue," she said.
Bush & Co. love to be opportunistic when it is about the spectre of terrorism but to highlight the dangers about the increase in prescription drug use among young people makes them step back a second? Nice priorities. More Americans are harmed by prescription drug use than terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies