Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM

5,171 posts, read 11,487,863 times

Advertisements

I liked the movie a lot and I also saw some of his other movies and think he was a good actor.
RIP HEATH :-(

Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,682,194 times
As much as I dislike Bush, I think he couldn't have pleased people no matter what he decided. Postpone it, people will say he should be doing more about the war. Give it on time anyway, he would be accused of being insensitive.

Speaking of insensitive, I was watching the news this morning and the Ledger story came on, and they showed video of hundreds of photographers swarmed around his apartment's entrance to get a shot of the body bag coming out. Is nothing sacred? I thought of calling my local NBC affiliate to tell them how distasteful it was to run footage like that. I certainly did not need to see it and anyone who was a friend or family member did not need a circus in such a tragic moment. Sad.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,486,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
As much as I dislike Bush, I think he couldn't have pleased people no matter what he decided. Postpone it, people will say he should be doing more about the war. Give it on time anyway, he would be accused of being insensitive.
Absolutely.
To be honest about it. I feel bad for Junior. He was never really up to the job and now he's being hammered by pretty much everyone. But you know, it seems to me it was abundantly clear (to me at least) that he just wasn't up to snuff even before he was first elected. There were plenty of candidates in both the Republican and Democratic parties that would have been a better choice - and yet he ended up in power. And now, once he's made a mess of things everyone's on his case. Well gee, what do you expect when you elect someone who's not up the task to begin with? I don't really blame him so much as the folks that elected him. Every country gets the government it's people deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Speaking of insensitive, I was watching the news this morning and the Ledger story came on, and they showed video of hundreds of photographers swarmed around his apartment's entrance to get a shot of the body bag coming out. Is nothing sacred? I thought of calling my local NBC affiliate to tell them how distasteful it was to run footage like that. I certainly did not need to see it and anyone who was a friend or family member did not need a circus in such a tragic moment. Sad.
Yeah, and just think of the zoo it'll be if/when Britney Spears OD's.

Ken

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,792,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Yeah, and just think of the zoo it'll be if/when Britney Spears OD's.

Ken
I think Heath Ledger was a decent and caring human being, and it's a loss that he is gone. Britney on the other hand, it won't make a difference when she goes because she doesn't contribute anything useful to society.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM

2,885 posts, read 2,006,433 times
To be honest about it. I feel bad for Junior. He was never really up to the job and now he's being hammered by pretty much everyone.

YOu don't have to feel bad for him. In spite of his terrible legacy, he doesn't feel at all sorry for himself. He really doesn't care what people think of him. He's no real politician.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 2,006,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, but he almost certainly will.
Like to make a wager?

Ken

I don't think you understood Yeledaf. He said:

The latter -- though the film was made for political reasons.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post

It seems to me it was made to make money - which it did. Studios make movies to make money - if they didn't do that they wouldn't be in business very long.

Brokeback Mountain was based on a successful book by a Pulitzer Prize-winning author (a woman by the way, not a gay man) and I'm sure the producers and studio heads thought there was a market for it.

And youknow what? They were right. It did after all, bring in $178 million dollars world-wide (roughly half of that in the US). Seems to me that that's a pretty good financial incentive.

The fact that you (and others) may not like the story is entirely irrelevant - obviously many people did.

Ken

Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post

PS - Why should a movie about gays necessarily have to have a political agenda? All kinds of groups and sub-cultures in America are targeted by Hollywood and movies directed towards those folks are made to get them to buy tickets.

They make "chick flicks" to draw in women and their dates. They make "Action" movies to attract testosterone-fueled young men. They make childrens movies to attract kids and their parents. They make rap movies and kung fu movies and slasher movies and all kinds of crap - but somehow they can't make an occasional movie designed to appeal to gays without it somehow being a "politcal agenda".
Maybe they just made the movie because gays spend money too.

Duh!

Ken

PS - Seems to me that the ones constantly complaining that Hollywood is driven by a political agenda, clearly have a political agenda of their own.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-23-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 1,008,669 times
I, for one, would just like to raise my hand and be counted in the group that:

A) Couldn't care less about Heath Ledger
B) Doesn't like George Bush
C) Doesn't care if people choose to use drugs or not, up to and including their using said substances to off their own lives.
D) Thinks our current "celebrity culture" as perpetrated by a 24 hour news cycle desperately trying to fill airtime, is disgusting and the death of this particular actor is severely overvalued, as far as its actual importance.
E) Has bigger things to worry about in my own life thus cannot be distracted with such trivial bullsht

(A + B + C + D) X E = Yawn.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,792,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
D) Thinks our current "celebrity culture" as perpetrated by a 24 hour news cycle desperately trying to fill airtime, is disgusting and the death of this particular actor is severely overvalued, as far as its actual performance.
Okay, so the fact that he was just an overall nice guy and did lots of charity work is a yawn too. I guess his work for ALAFA and for U.S. Variety - About Variety mean nothing because he had no value to you.

This is a famous actor who would take the time to stop and help someone change a flat tire on their car, or walk up to a woman in the mall and ask her if she was feeling okay because she looked sick. He wasn't your average "normal" self-absorbed Hollywood star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies