Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,793,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is a matter of good triumphing over evil.
Yes, painting these people as 'bad' means they don't have to feel guilty for killing them, and in fact can be happy about it.

While they don't actively seek out trouble (as that would be 'bad'), they are paranoid and insecure and dying for a chance to 'prove' themselves. They're addicted to that rush of power that they receive every time they handle a gun, and eagerly await an opportunity to exercise that power over others. But the others can't be someone who threatens their 'good' self-image-- they have to be 'bad' people who deserve what they get.

So yes, I agree... but trying to pretend it isn't akin to a junkie shooting heroin is pretty dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,536,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
Since the thugs were from texas cant you say texas made the country a little more dangerous
Well that's liberal reasoning for you. A decrease in thugs makes the country more dangerous.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:07 PM

15,702 posts, read 10,505,336 times
There is no benefit to argue with stupid people.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,113,186 times
Whole lot of armed robbery going on in the supposedly safe state of Texas.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,347,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Whole lot of armed robbery going on in the supposedly safe state of Texas.
You would think with all the guns they are toting that there wouldn't be any violence there to begin with because criminals would know everyone is probably armed there.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:35 PM

24,833 posts, read 17,587,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Yes, painting these people as 'bad' means they don't have to feel guilty for killing them, and in fact can be happy about it.

While they don't actively seek out trouble (as that would be 'bad'), they are paranoid and insecure and dying for a chance to 'prove' themselves. They're addicted to that rush of power that they receive every time they handle a gun, and eagerly await an opportunity to exercise that power over others. But the others can't be someone who threatens their 'good' self-image-- they have to be 'bad' people who deserve what they get.

So yes, I agree... but trying to pretend it isn't akin to a junkie shooting heroin is pretty dishonest.

I'm not painting anything.

In the 2 examples given by the OP a thug put a gun to the head of another guy who was simply opening his store, with the intent to rob him. The other case a gun went to the head of an innocent guy who was minding his own business in the attempt to carjack him.

In the first case you could give the thug the bag which held the guys medicine not cash like the thug probably hoped for so at that point does the thug run away sad that he didn't score money or does he shoot the shop keep out of anger and rifles his pockets as he dies. Would you want ot take the chance?

In the second case I actually don't agree with the shooting, the thugs were already in the car and getting ready to speed away. The car owner though he never asked to be jacked should have run away at that point which he probably would have if he didn't have a gun but instead he chose to shoot the thug who had just threatened his very life. In any other state besides Texas that guy could be in trouble.

There is no reason to paint these thugs with anything but their own blood. They choose to go on a crime spree figuring they could bully their way with a gun to get what they wanted from an innocent person. The thugs paid a heavy price for their stupid choice.

To say gun owners are "dying for a chance to 'prove' themselves" is actually a silly statement and it is obvious you have never handled a firearm.

People have the right to defend themselves or not to. You have that choice.

Criminals commit crimes thinking they will not be caught. Heroine addicts shoot that junk expecting to get high never thinking they could die. Bad things happen to good people and it is hard to be sympathetic when something bad happens to a bad person who risked it all for a thrill.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM

24,833 posts, read 17,587,901 times
Another thought on this.
The media, half the nation, the President is all over the story when a cop shoots a black person who they believed to be a threat at that point. The justice system weeds out the good from the bad in these cases.

However every single day there are dozens or more shootings involving one drug dealer shooting another yet we hear nothing from anyone. Is it because both the drug dealing criminals are painted as BAD people?

I don't think anyone is being dehumanized by labeling them bad or thugs or whatever. We are not talking about Jewish people during WW2 they were the victims and the Nazis were the thugs.

I have a choice everyday to pick up a gun and go rob people or to drive my car 100mph through a school zone. I don't because I have made a choice to be a good guy.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,536,320 times
Having had an armed thug invade my home I have zero sympathy for the perps. My armed thug survived the encounter and so did I thanks to my dog who ran him off with prejudice. Interestingly, the police sergeant who came to my house told me flat out to kill him if he showed up again. I though that was good advice.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 PM

30,589 posts, read 24,004,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Here come the straw men.

And every single time something like this happens, the CD regulars chime in with how glad they are that these people are dead.

It's not the guns that disturb me, it's the attitude of the people who use them. I'm thoroughly convinced that they would enjoy it if someone was breaking into their house, simply because it would give them an opportunity to legally kill someone.
What attitude would that be? The attitude of the guy who was carjacked at gun point, you know, a gun pointed in his face, and told to walk to the back of his car and kneel down, while he got robbed?

How about the attitude of the store clerk who had a gun held to his head, and forced to hand over a bag. Are you talking about that attitude?

In that case, then I support their attitudes, see nothing wrong with their attitudes, and am extremely suspicious of anyone who would call that a bad attitude.

Yes, as a matter of fact, were that me, you better believe that I'd be glad that the perps were dead and NOT me. You having a problem with that is pretty sickening.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,793,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What attitude would that be? The attitude of the guy who was carjacked at gun point, you know, a gun pointed in his face, and told to walk to the back of his car and kneel down, while he got robbed?

How about the attitude of the store clerk who had a gun held to his head, and forced to hand over a bag. Are you talking about that attitude?

In that case, then I support their attitudes, see nothing wrong with their attitudes, and am extremely suspicious of anyone who would call that a bad attitude.

Yes, as a matter of fact, were that me, you better believe that I'd be glad that the perps were dead and NOT me. You having a problem with that is pretty sickening.
First of all, you're talking about robberies, not murders. But when you pulled a gun out in those circumstances, the chance of them becoming murders or killings goes up pretty quickly.

Second of all, I wasn't talking about victims, I was talking about the people who enjoy the thought of guns being used to kill 'bad' people.

I'm sure you're getting lots of reps from people who don't care about rational thought and just like that you're conjuring up all sorts of images of crises to feed your paranoia, though... so well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies