Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,577,435 times

Advertisements

The fact that there are two sides to this argument really says a lot about the American people as human beings.

Why on earth would anyone besides a sociopathic bully attack anybody?

How many of you can say that your life, or your well-being, depends on attacking anybody? You live in the wealthiest nation on earth, and you would rather kill human beings with your bare hands, than share any of it?

Last edited by jtur88; 01-17-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,799,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Totally true, but how many million dollar conventional smart bombs does it take to kill a million soldiers? Do we have enough? Do we have enough money to build enough? Vastly superior numbers CAN eventually devour even the steepest of technology gaps.

Edit add: AGAIN this is just a thought exercise!!! No statement of my opinions on war of even this particular topic!!!
Guess I should have said BILLION dollar smart bombs...can't get a good smart bomb for a million anymore *sigh*

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,317,727 times
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
The Chinese suck at fighting if it isn't martial arts. They lost more soldiers in less than a year Vietnam than the US lost in eight years.
I guess one could explain China's great losses in Vietnam with the theory that the Chinese at the time maybe had more soldiers than they have had weapons? In that case why not try to bury the enemy with your troops? Each dead Chinese soldier is a mouth less to feed and a gun less to be armed with bullets. And the soldiers will keep coming anyway (I mean Chinese history has proven that they will keep having babies no matter what, even when it is against the law).
If I had a surplus of military manpower that would be the strategy I'd use. To the Chinese it would be a win/win situation even when they’d lost the war.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,482,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How many of you can say that your life, or your well-being, depends on attacking anybody? You live in the wealthiest nation on earth, and you would rather kill human beings with your bare hands, than share any of it?
How about it, all you Luxembourgers? Feeling froggy enough to jump?

World's Richest Countries: Luxembourg, Norway & Switzerland Lead Top Ten GNP Nations

Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,268,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
To me China is a much more inward focused country than the US. I don't see them as potential military enemies, save for the unresolved Taiwan issue. Some posters familiar with the area have informed me that the conflict between China and Taiwan is not as bad as it appears on the surface, and perhaps they are correct.

Personally, except for the Taiwan issue I really don't see a military conflict evolving with China. My concerns are much greater in how Russia is going to evolve over the next few years.

NPR : China's Hu Makes Peace Overture to Taiwan
Wars need not be fought with bullets as in my opinion wars fought will dollars are much more total in what they encompass.

However as to the OP's assertions, I am still trying to get my mind around it, but it does go to show the American mindset quite clear. It has an almost Conan the Barbarian quality to it.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,917,944 times
Is it time we attacked China?

Only if you want one HELL of an ass whuppin!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,602 times
Listen, it's hard enough in Iraq right now. There is no way we could attack china successfully and take over their land, as they could not attack us and take over us. The US is the most powerful empire ever, however every great empire eventually falls. We could not possibly attack China, carry on with Iraq, and then back Israel when Iran's attacks them. What kind of question was that?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,317,727 times
Originally Posted by bradleygene03
Quote:
What kind of question was that?
A philosophical one?
I believe it was meant as a thought exercise.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,359,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Is it time we attacked China?

Only if you want one HELL of an ass whuppin!
Do you even have a clue???
I'll break it down for you. Make it simple.
China's navy would be no match for our west coast navy let alone the combined strength of east and west coast Navies. Their Subs are Russian designed and built diesel boats. Antiques compared to ours.
Airforce. China's airforce is at least 3 generations behind ours. Their pilots have no combat experience to speak of.
China does have a huge standing army. But an army armed with older technology. They don't have attack helo's to match ours, nor tanks.
China does not have the ability to project power away from their own continent. In otherwards amphibious assault, aircraft carriers or bombers with legs long enough to reach us.
Missiles Unless China used Nukes she would be helpless to retaliate against us. If China used Nukes we would retaliate in kind in which case game over.
We can not invade china. It is too vast and not enough close airfields to allow us to support a ground invasion.
Any questions????

Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,212,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do you even have a clue???
I'll break it down for you. Make it simple.
China's navy would be no match for our west coast navy let alone the combined strength of east and west coast Navies. Their Subs are Russian designed and built diesel boats. Antiques compared to ours.
Airforce. China's airforce is at least 3 generations behind ours. Their pilots have no combat experience to speak of.
China does have a huge standing army. But an army armed with older technology. They don't have attack helo's to match ours, nor tanks.
China does not have the ability to project power away from their own continent. In otherwards amphibious assault, aircraft carriers or bombers with legs long enough to reach us.
Missiles Unless China used Nukes she would be helpless to retaliate against us. If China used Nukes we would retaliate in kind in which case game over.
We can not invade china. It is too vast and not enough close airfields to allow us to support a ground invasion.
Any questions????
THANK YOU, god, I don't understand why people don't get this. So what if they have a huge number of citizens? What are they going to do against a much better supplied, armed, and trained fighting force? And like it has already been said in this thread, wars are not fought with open field battles anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies