Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,390,768 times

Advertisements

bunky lol pretty much right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,262,727 times
Moved to the main P&OC Forum, not a Presidential Election Forum issue.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,684,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
China has such finanical power of the U.S. and its armies are incredibly threatening to the U.S. military. There are numerous stories of human rights violations and it is a communistic state. Don't we have the authority and power to take over China? I see China as more threatening than Iran or even Iraq. Wasn't Iraq's human rights violation prompted our attack when we couldn't find WMDs? Instead we aren't even sanctioning China and trading with them in more imports than exports.. there is substantial trade imbalance and we are making their dictatorship stronger! Just why aren't we attacking China if we are so responsible as we claim to be... I hear China is making overt threats to Taiwan as well... We want to attack Iran already and helping China out?

Death pits technology against Chinese control - CNN.com

It wouldn't be a good idea. They have more troops than we have bullets. I really doubt we would do anything even if they attacked Taiwan. Besides, if we did attack them, the first thing they would do is dump all their reserves of US dollars. Which would probably cause other nations to do it as well. We would be in a deep recession before the first real battle ever took place. Plus, in order to pull it off we would have to start up a draft again. Which isn't going to happen.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I also dont think they would have an issue coming to our shores to fight. Scary.
Actually China does not have the transport capability to come to our shores in the numbers required.
China's military is several generations behind ours and not up to the challenge.
China's navy although greatly improved over the last 10 years would stand no chance against our west coast Navy alone.
We can't invade China because the logistics required make it nearly impossible.
If war broke out it is very likely that it would evolve into a at the very least limited nuclear exchange. Worst case full exchange. Russia would feel compelled to side with China in fear of being the next target. Lose lose deal. It wont happen.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,205,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
China holds almost half of our $9trillion national debt. If they wanted to hurt us, they could without a single bullet being fired. Iran too. Saudi Arabia too.
Come on now, be realistic...if they pissed us off im pretty sure we would just say screw the debt. I don't think if war broke out we would feel too teriibly obliged to make any kind of payment to the country we're fighting Also, while china has many more people, it ends up being totally irrelevant. Wars are not fought with manpower anymore. Technologically we are superior. We have a much better trained, better staffed, better funded, more powerful navy and airforce. They wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to attack our mainland, we wouldn't stand a chance if we invaded theirs. Our economies are dependent on each other. It would be a completely retarded decision on both countries parts to go to war. Besides even IF they did have the ability to invade our country, and they don't, ever heard of mutually assured destruction? We have enough nukes to destroy the world several times over...no one, and I mean no one that doesn't have a death wish for the world will try to invade our country.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,653,924 times
All China would need to do would be to start zapping American military and civilian satellites out of the sky, and the rhetoric would probably cool down in a hurry.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,205,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
All China would need to do would be to start zapping American military and civilian satellites out of the sky, and the rhetoric would probably cool down in a hurry.
Okay..just because they shot down a sate doesn't mean they are as godly as you're betraying them to be

Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,653,924 times
It's not a matter of being Godly. It's a matter of hitting your enemy at his weak points, in order to get him to back off. That's one of the principles from The Art of War, which, incidentally, comes from China...

Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,233,413 times
I studied in China in 1983. They were very backwards. I was asked to be a American rep at a computer center about 40 miles out of Beijing. The whole center was dressed up in white lab smocks and booties. There was on IBM desktop computer. That was the entire computing capacity of the facility.

I went back in 1990 and spent two months touring throughout including the frontier near Afghanistan and up through Tibet. Big change. ALL the old cities were either replaced or being replaced. Instaed of millions of bicycles, there were cars.

In the early 1990s I had a discussion with some attorneys about how since the fall of the Soviet Union, that we needed to watch out for China. It was my belief that unlike Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines, China really does not owe the US or Europe any allegiance and they have valid reason to be extremely POed at Taiwan and Japan. These lawyers looked at me and said "what is China going to do, come after us with picks and shovels?"

When I was in College at UC Berk in the 70's, I had a Japanese girlfriend. The Chinese cooks at my family's restaurant would openly say "F(word... sorry) Japanese". I did not understand the hostility.

When I was studying in China, I ran into locals who were wealthy and educated that were incensed when a Japanese woman would appear in full Japanese kimono say "how dare she". I did not understand why they were so upset.

In 1984 I returned to the US and married a Japanese woman. On a new years dinner, I went to her aunt's home and was introduced to an old man. He ws not a relative, but I was told he was rich and had made his money as a war profiteer. Why was he here?

In 1997, Iris Chang wrote her book. The Rape of Nanking. Oh.. Now I understand a little. Very few people cared.

In the last few years, witnesses from Unit 731 have started to tell their stories. No one listened.

I am not a China fan boi. I am happy not happy with the whole Wen Ho Lee thing or any of the other spy activities. We do it too, but if our get caught, they don't sue for money and get it.

Japan will not admit to these atrocities, China is not happy. People are instead calling for an attack on China. I still don't understand.

I raised this issue in the history forum under Japanese War Crimes and someone said there was nothing to be gained by discussing this, I was hate mongering and that the Japanese people he knew were decent and warm. Wow.

My theory is that Confucian teachings will prevent China from actual aggression toward Japan and Taiwan. I don't really see what China would have to gain. They seem to be kicking our butts as it is. In a few more decades, their standard of living will approach or exceed ours. They will be able to crush us financially soon. I don't understand why we would want to make a physical war on them. They could quite possibly kick our butts.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 01-17-2008 at 02:55 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,877,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
No way! From an overall military balance of power, China is every bit our equal, possibly even our better depending on the manner in which a hypothetical war might be fought. We may have a technological advantage but they definitely have superior numbers. It's highly likely a major war with China will be inevitable but we have to make sure it gets fought on our terms.
The Chinese suck at fighting if it isn't martial arts. They lost more soldiers in less than a year Vietnam than the US lost in eight years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies