Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 PM

374 posts, read 983,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
My God, there are a lot of idiots out there, and they all seem to be "educating" our children.
...and she was heard crying out loud as they hauled her out of the cafeteria, "don't taze me bro!"

As for kids eating steak, If there is some left over from the night before, my 8yo daughter begs for it. She loves top sirloin. I could see her taking it in lieu of her sandwich and I wouldn't blame her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,975 times
Common sense is not so common anymore.

I'll give you an example of over-the-top stupidity I encountered. Years ago, I worked at a government installation. I performed many tasks related to IT. Lots of hands-on contact with hardware. At one point, there were high-level government safety experts touring our facility looking for safety violations. The inside joke was to intentionally create some simple safety violations that they could 'discover', write up and then be on their way.

Anyway, I was busy doing my job when one of these so-called 'inspectors' came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was changing out a hard drive on a server. He asked me what safety precautions I followed. I told him that I unplugged the power from the outlet prior to opening up the chassis and also used a grounding strap to minimize static electric to protect the electronics. He said great, why did I do that. I told him because of the hazard of electricity within the chassis. He then asked me 'how did you know electricity can be dangerous?'.

I didn't know how to respond to that. Was it a joke or was he serious? My boss who was standing behind him just rolled his eyes, smiled and walked off laughing to himself. My response was 'common sense - you learn as a kid that you don't play with electricity'. He then lectured me on how common sense can not be used as a learning tool. After he walked off, my boss came back. We discussed this gentleman's IQ level and the wise use our tax dollars are being put to.

Yes, this is a pretty sad state of affairs. Mentally, I always look back and wonder how the great men who tamed the wilderness of our country would survive in this type of society.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Am I ever glad I got out of school many decades ago. I have carried a folding pocketknife in my right front pants pocket since I was five years old. In school, out of school and anywhere else except to bed or in the shower I have carried a pocketknife. It was and is a basic tool. Whenever I felt I needed to carry a weapon it was not a pocketknife but a dagger or a gun and usually both. Schools need to concentrate on teaching kids the difference between a tool and a weapon and what the responsibilities of being armed.

IMHO security of everybody is greatly increased when everyone is armed not when they are left with only their fists and feet. Or to the “protection” of the police or “security” guards that could care less about protecting anything. Bureaucrats hate armed people as much as barons hate armed peasants and for the same reason. Armed populations limit their illusion of control.

The cafeteria folks should consider the alternative of bringing a steak to school and eating it without the fanciness of a knife or fork.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Also, remember that the police file charges all the time that are later dropped. They usually file 4 or 5 charges to hold an alleged perp, when they actually prosecute only one of them. Who tells them to drop them? The DA. The DA is a politician, you know.

Raising dust about charges is mostly a waste of time.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 AM

57 posts, read 142,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
He then lectured me on how common sense can not be used as a learning tool.
*HEADDESK*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies