Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support the Usage of Racial/Cultural Slurs?
Yes. I will exercise my freedom of speech whenever possible. 14 36.84%
No. I don't see any point in harboring an intolerant mindset. 24 63.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 AM

130 posts, read 172,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In a lot of countries; Kravitz would be 'White' in the legal sense.

Perhaps, but the US has a long and infamous history of applying the "one drop" rule... (And this seems to be a rule conceived by the normate perspective.) In the US however, we are allowed to "identify" ourselves and sort of self-label... (this is one of the really nice qualities about the US--ability to have one's own thoughts and voice them)

If an African American wants to use the term (as some people above have stated) to reference a quality--it's not a GOOD quality they're refering to... Well, they have a right to use the word, because their ancestors bore the brunt of slavery and all the hatred that still trickles down with it into everyday life TODAY. Whites do not (and should not) use this out of common courtesy, if nothing else!

By using the N word, a white person is sending messages:

1.) "I think things were GREAT back 150 years ago! The slavery era--ahh, now those were the days!"

2.) "I think so little of you and your ethnicity that I will bash it at every chance I get...Hey, it's just a word!... Get over it! You're lucky we let you live in our neighborhoods! Geesh!"

Do you understand how a word can have so much historical context, because it relates directly back to slavery... a way of life so filled with hatred, abuse, injustice, evil and the vilest forms of human behavior... that it (the word) left an imprint on society which still is felt and is yet to be washed clean from the fabric of our culture.

Further, Jackson and Sharpton have made public pleas to the AA community (in particular, musical artists) to STOP using the word... No, it's really not appropriate, and the excuse "Well, the rapper [fill in the blank] says it..so why can't I?" is a school boy's excuse for having done something that the majority of the population (I hope) knows is very, very wrong...

Of course, in the US, we have "Freedom of Speech" but this protection only goes so far...HATE speech is not protected... The Klan can march, they can "say" their beleifs...But the moment there is a burning cross-- THAT IS HATE SPEECH, and it's not covered by any part of the Constitution....

I remember crosses burning on the mountains near Lake Bomoseen Vt. (no, not the South), in the early 70's. I remember an evening being rushed to the car by my Grandmother as that "beacon" on a high plateau signalled fear, and communicated immenent death... I remember going to a "friend's" house and seeing "The White Man's Bible" on a coffee table, telling my Grandmother, and avoiding that house for the next 20-someodd years of my life... But I also remember the day I logged onto "Hatewatch.org" (run by Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Ctr.) and discovered that "The Exhaulted White Knights" were no longer listed there as an active group on Lake Bomoseen('05). So long, good riddence...

In my mind, I have lots of other things to say...But I don't.. I not going to hate people as much as they hate me.

An important note: if you think you're a fairly descent person, why would you want to say something so horrendous to a portion of our culture? What are you trying to comunicate? If, by using the "N" word, you think you're being cute, endearing, showing you're "really into" a culture... Maybe you should consider that many of the people in "that" culture you're talking about consider the use of the word by people (especuially outside the culture) right up there white sheets and burning crosses..

Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM

762 posts, read 1,595,778 times
Why do white people want to say the N word so bad. Black people don't even say it with N***er we say N***a theres a big difference.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
So many seem to demand restricting of speech they find distasteful.

It seems they miss the whole point of the freedom of speech.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414og View Post
Why do white people want to say the N word so bad. Black people don't even say it with N***er we say N***a theres a big difference.
Why do white people want to say the N word so bad ?

To tell you the truth I don't know any that do.

But I have heard black people say it and it was with the "er" not "a".

Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Why do white people want to say the N word so bad ?

To tell you the truth I don't know any that do.

But I have heard black people say it and it was with the "er" not "a".

in my 18 years of living i haven't heard a black person say "er" just "a" (unless making a joke) but you are probably a lot older than me. Therefore heard a lot more than me. And seriously you never heard some white people want to use the word too its in this post read some of the above post they claim its freedom of speech. To me nobodys stopping a white person from saying the N word.... so i say go ahead do it if you want to dont get mad tho if you get stomped (this part is not geared towards you texanborn im saying in general)

By using the N word, a white person is sending messages:

1.) "I think things were GREAT back 150 years ago! The slavery era--ahh, now those were the days!"

2.) "I think so little of you and your ethnicity that I will bash it at every chance I get...Hey, it's just a word!... Get over it! You're lucky we let you live in our neighborhoods! Geesh!"

Last edited by 414Milwaukee; 12-11-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414og View Post
in my 18 years of living i haven't heard a black person say "er" just "a"....

So as long as white people say the dreaded 'N' word with an 'a' on the end it is okay with you...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Did i say that? oz what color are you just want to know.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM

Sorry but that is what you seemed to be stating.

You stated black people you know use the dreaded 'N' word but pronounce it with an 'a' on the end thus making it okay...

If it is okay for black people to use in this fashion it must be okay for white people,or do you think only some people should be allowed to use certain words?

Kind of like a linguisitic form of segregation...

Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
To prove the point they themselves are without class?? By all means!! Slur away.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
To prove the point they themselves are without class?? By all means!! Slur away.

Equality for all.....

To be as base and without class as the next person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies