Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support the Usage of Racial/Cultural Slurs?
Yes. I will exercise my freedom of speech whenever possible. 14 36.84%
No. I don't see any point in harboring an intolerant mindset. 24 63.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
So are you saying that whites should be allowed to say the N word? It seems like a lot of whites are fighting to be able to use that word.

Lehigh Valley, double standards exist whether you like them or not. There is probably a double standard that protects you.

Eminems use of the N word was negative and hateful in conotation. Like slave owner language. If you don't understand this then you shouldn't.
Whites should be able to say whatever they want, and vice-versa. I wouldn't say Eminem is hateful towards blacks either, he grew up with them, sings their music, for all intends and purposes, he is black.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,412 times
Quote:
So are you saying that whites should be allowed to say the N word? It seems like a lot of whites are fighting to be able to use that word. .
No one is "fighting" to say it, since it is not illegal to say ni**er.

Quote:
Lehigh Valley, double standards exist whether you like them or not. There is probably a double standard that protects you.
A lot of things exist whether I like them or not, but that doesn't make it right or wrong .
Maybe you have an example of one?

Quote:
Eminems use of the N word was negative and hateful in conotation. Like slave owner language. If you don't understand this then you shouldn't
That is your opinion and others think differently than you. Some people think the term "redneck" is a hateful slur, others embrace the term. It depends on someones perception of a word and that is too subjective to outlaw something.
The fact of the matter is Eminem had every right in the U.S to say that, because he is protected. Imus had every right in the U.S. to say what he did. However, if they have personal or financial repercussions for saying it, so be it. However, they should not face legal ones.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 PM

222 posts, read 691,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Whites should be able to say whatever they want, and vice-versa. I wouldn't say Eminem is hateful towards blacks either, he grew up with them, sings their music, for all intends and purposes, he is black.
So would this make Jimi Hendrix or Lenny Kravitz white?
Eminem never said he was black. In fact he didn't start out with rap

Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
I detest such words but the blacks are a bit less than honest when they jump all over some lame brain radio host for using words their so-called "artist" use in almost every song and every night on BET. If they hate those words so much THEY need to quit using them all the time.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I detest such words but the blacks are a bit less than honest when they jump all over some lame brain radio host for using words their so-called "artist" use in almost every song and every night on BET. If they hate those words so much THEY need to quit using them all the time.
Careful, your white sheet is starting to show!!
I'm one of "the blacks" and I do not use that word in my daily conversations, I know of many more who also refrain from using that word. When we do it's because we are witnessing ni@@erish behavior be the person black or white.
In the future please refrain from assuming "the blacks" use this word all the time, we don't.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
Sure, why not. The point is in America you can say whatever the hell you want. case closed.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
In a lot of countries; Kravitz would be 'White' in the legal sense.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Free speech should not be hindered. It seems to me, however, that the concept of freedom of speech is being confused with poor language skills and overall bad manners.

English is a beautiful, rich language. People who use racial slurs in their day to day conversations are effectively demonstrating a poor command of the language. The use of racial slurs while trying to prove a point weakens the argument. The use of blanket statements and non-evidence based generalizations makes the speaker appear uneducated and dim-witted.

Some people do not realize that the language they use says a lot about them. Seriously, speakers who resort to racial slurs end up casting themselves in a poorer light than their intended target.

Besides, don't embarass your parents. Show that they raised you better than that. One of the reasons I don't like to use racial slurs is that to this day I'm afraid my 78 year old mother might hear me and she's still capable of beating the daylights out of me.

On a lighter note, I'll give you an example on how you can use proper English to respond to an insult/offensive language. When I was in college, I worked as a cocktail waitress at a restaurant/lounge. One night, a customer thought he was being funny and said something really foul to me. It was so bad I was speechless. After he saw the look on my face he started to apologize. Apologies are fine, but the damage had been done. So, I crisply retorted, "Thank you, but you do not need to be concerned, sir. In this establishment, we serve anybody." He laughed and said I had a great sense of humor. He gave me a 20.00 dollar tip (that was back in '84). In reality, I meant to insult him back in every sense of the word, and in my mind, I accomplished just that.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,778 times
Quote:
So are you saying that whites should be allowed to say the N word?
Yep.
Quote:
It seems like a lot of whites are fighting to be able to use that word.
What do you mean, "fighting to"? Who is fighting to use the word? I hear people, black and white, use the word pretty frequently, as I have my whole life.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Free speech should not be hindered. It seems to me, however, that the concept of freedom of speech is being confused with poor language skills and overall bad manners.

English is a beautiful, rich language. People who use racial slurs in their day to day conversations are effectively demonstrating a poor command of the language. The use of racial slurs while trying to prove a point weakens the argument. The use of blanket statements and non-evidence based generalizations makes the speaker appear uneducated and dim-witted.

Some people do not realize that the language they use says a lot about them. Seriously, speakers who resort to racial slurs end up casting themselves in a poorer light than their intended target.

Besides, don't embarass your parents. Show that they raised you better than that. One of the reasons I don't like to use racial slurs is that to this day I'm afraid my 78 year old mother might hear me and she's still capable of beating the daylights out of me.

On a lighter note, I'll give you an example on how you can use proper English to respond to an insult/offensive language. When I was in college, I worked as a cocktail waitress at a restaurant/lounge. One night, a customer thought he was being funny and said something really foul to me. It was so bad I was speechless. After he saw the look on my face he started to apologize. Apologies are fine, but the damage had been done. So, I crisply retorted, "Thank you, but you do not need to be concerned, sir. In this establishment, we serve anybody." He laughed and said I had a great sense of humor. He gave me a 20.00 dollar tip (that was back in '84). In reality, I meant to insult him back in every sense of the word, and in my mind, I accomplished just that.
Great post. Says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies