Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
When a MAJORITY of your fellow citizens either own a home or stock (or even both) - WHICH IS THE CASE, then yeah, it DOES affect the "average person" (pretty much by definition).

The fact that it may not affect YOU is not really relevent.

Ken
LOL. define "affect".

Home ownership is at its lowest rate in a decade-and falling.

And stock ownership? Same thing. in 2002 67% of Americans invested in stock. 2011 it was at 54%.

And the average 401K is 90K that sounds good right? But....the median is less then 10K. Yeah. The "average" person who owns stock via a 401K has less the 10K there.

Does it affect the "average" person. sure...by a tiny amount. The VAST majority of this is not benefiting the average person-its going to the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. define "affect".

Home ownership is at its lowest rate in a decade-and falling.

And stock ownership? Same thing. in 2002 67% of Americans invested in stock. 2011 it was at 54%.

And the average 401K is 90K that sounds good right? But....the median is less then 10K. Yeah. The "average" person who owns stock via a 401K has less the 10K there.

Does it affect the "average" person. sure...by a tiny amount. The VAST majority of this is not benefiting the average person-its going to the top.
"Affect" - for me it meant I could RETIRE.
Is that enough "affect" for you?
It meant I could sell my house in cold wet Seattle and move to warm sunny Arizona without having dig my way out from "underwater" on my house.
Is that enough "affect" for you?
And I'm not alone - last year 4 MILLION Americans came out from being "underwater" on their homes - something that gave them FREEDOM from being shackled to their existing house and location.
I don't know how one puts a price on such freedom, but it MOST DEFINITELY has value.

Is it true that folks with the most money gained the most in the stock market?
Of course it is - WHEN has that EVER been different? So what? It doesn't mean the "little people" don't benefit from the gains they've made.

Ken

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
This calculation for household wealth is the same one that was used in previous years.

And as long as they continue to use the same calculations year after year, and we see household wealth on the rise, then we know it's moving in a positive direction. And that is a very good thing.

The fact that you think this number is meaningless, is meaningless in itself. You are just giving one man's opinion.

The value of cash is not fixed.

The value of U.S. currency goes up and down based on world events and inflation.

So cash is just as meaningless as stocks and home prices.

Which makes your argument meaningless as well.
Your last 4 statements sum it up pretty well.
The fact is, the stooopid arguments that "the fact that stock values went up and home values went up doesn't 'mean anything' because those are simply 'theoretical" increases", is pure unadulterated bullsh*t attempts to minimize and ignore some very good news.
As you mention, those increases are no more "theoretical" than the values of ones's paycheck is. If THOSE THINGS "only have real value when you spend them" then the very same thing is true of one's paycheck. Until it's spent it has "no value" either (but you never see any of the wingnuts argue that paycheck has no value).

The fact is, increases or decreases in stock holdings or home prices HAVE VALUE and they HAVE IMPACT - even if they don't "cash them in" they impact people's confidence and therefor their BEHAVIORS. One need only look back to the "theoretical" decrease in the value of the stock market in 2008 to see the "impact" it had on the entire world's economy.

The argument the wingnuts are trying to make is dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB - not to mention DESPERATE!!!!!!!

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-06-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies