Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Sort of random, but it's sort of scary that London has +$20 Trillion in networth there while the US total net worth is about $80 trillion.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-new-york-asia

The world's so-called "ultra high net worth individuals" – those with $30m (£21m) or more in assets apart from their main home – number 167,669, according to a report from estate agents Knight Frank – up 59% over the past decade.

Roughly equal to the population of the London borough of Kensington and Chelsea – and many of them do indeed have a place there – they control more than $20tn in assets – more than the national output of the US and Germany put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I understand you cannot differentiate between theoretical value and real value.

The theoretical value of stocks and houses is worthless, since it isn't real.

It would appear you also don't understand that this is not cash, rather it's the theoretical value of equity in stocks and housing as estimated from residuals derived from data from other sectors, dependent on the availability of other data.

In order convert it to cash to be used, the stocks or houses have to be sold, or the owners have to borrow against the equity.

So it's meaningless.
You think only cash is meaningful when calculating net worth? Go back to school.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You think only cash is meaningful when calculating net worth? Go back to school.
Now now...maybe I could convince him to give me all of his assets in exchange for this shiny penny.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,613 times
Originally Posted by surfman

I'm not twisting this into bad news so much as making it clearer that these figures do not affect the average person. It's another case of the rich getting richer being portrayed as benefiting everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This sure confirms the wisdom of my decision to not be an average person. And it makes me wonder why the president spends so much time stoking the green monster, instead of promoting the personal qualities that lead to greater wealth.
Unfortunately, he is part of the liberal progressive party which relies on ignorant dependence. If you take away those on welfare and working for the government, they'd only have the Hollywood crowd and students left, though they are losing the student demography rapidly.

They have to keep racism, and the war on women, and the war on immigrants, and homophobic rhetoric escalated... in order to keep their voter base. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be a member of such a tolerant party.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,613 times
Originally Posted by Mircea

It would appear you also don't understand that this is not cash, rather it's the theoretical value of equity in stocks and housing as estimated from residuals derived from data from other sectors, dependent on the availability of other data.

In order convert it to cash to be used, the stocks or houses have to be sold, or the owners have to borrow against the equity.

So it's meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You're arguing the theory of capital and finance with Mircea? More schooling would do you better, honestly.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
US government spending is what, $3.5 trillion a year or so? More than the entire combined net worth of every single person in the country...spent every year. Does anyone think this just might be a problem?
The only problem is you making statements without bothering to check facts on your own!

Ever heard of Google?

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releas...rent/z1r-1.pdf

Quote:
The net worth of households and nonprofits was $80.7 trillion at the end of 2013, about $3 trillion more than at the end of the third quarter.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does wealth grow if incomes go down and welfare goes up?
The value of your house and your stock portfolio can go up, even if you earn less money at your job.

How difficult is this to understand?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Originally Posted by Mircea

So it's meaningless.

You're arguing the theory of capital and finance with Mircea? More schooling would do you better, honestly.
Mircea talks pretty well, but he misses the point while arguing unimportant details. The value of property is real. Yes I understand that if suddenly everyone had their own planet somewhere else that the value would change, or if we had a nuclear war that all the value would be meaningless. I even understand that the drop in real estate values didn't delete X dollars. But really, the "theoretical value" is STILL value if it has a basis in reality.

Guess what. It does. Stocks have a value because thats what people will pay-same with real estate. Its not like I can claim im a trillionaire because of the value of my house, its got a pretty well estimated value right now. Until I sell it I don't know if im 100% right or not. That doesn't mean I will sell it for a penny. I can very easily say its more valuable then my car and be right. EVEN if it burned down as I have insurance.

So yeah, lets not get sidetracked by nonsense like this from Mircea.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Originally Posted by surfman

I'm not twisting this into bad news so much as making it clearer that these figures do not affect the average person. It's another case of the rich getting richer being portrayed as benefiting everyone...
When a MAJORITY of your fellow citizens either own a home or stock (or even both) - WHICH IS THE CASE, then yeah, it DOES affect the "average person" (pretty much by definition).

The fact that it may not affect YOU is not really relevent. Maybe you should have had the wisdom of the "average person" and invested in either one or the other or both.

Ken

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Like I said, it skews the data, and the whole thing is meaningless anyway.

Estimates are residuals derived from other data for which the availability depends on still yet more data from elsewhere?

Please, you sound like the Enron CFO.
This calculation for household wealth is the same one that was used in previous years.

And as long as they continue to use the same calculations year after year, and we see household wealth on the rise, then we know it's moving in a positive direction. And that is a very good thing.

The fact that you think this number is meaningless, is meaningless in itself. You are just giving one man's opinion.

Quote:

So it's meaningless.
The value of cash is not fixed.

The value of U.S. currency goes up and down based on world events and inflation.

So cash is just as meaningless as stocks and home prices.

Which makes your argument meaningless as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies