Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
{snip}

Volcanic greenhouse gas emissions are as nothing compared to what we crank out. And maybe you should look up "the year without a summer".
So on the one hand you say volcanoes are nothing compared to the green house gas emissions human can crank out, but then you reference a volcano that altered the planet's climate.

Clearly volcanoes do have a more significant impact then humans, because a volcano eruption can overwhelm the planet's ability to absorb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Some haven't.
How have humans evolved?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Around 40% of the worlds population lives within 50 miles of the coastline, a large part of them right at sea level. Just think of the impact to a wealthy country like the US with all the major cites right near sea level, Washington DC, Baltimore, NY, Boston, better start adding to that disaster relief fund now.

Imagine the impact to the poorer countries, what is their solution?
Sea levels have been slowly rising at a steady pace for centuries, but what the scammers will do is use a year where a high discharges of ice from Greenland's glaciers occurred, and extrapolate that same rate of melt for every year thereafter. They will turn the data into charts, graphs and make wild predictions. Basically using actual data and turning it into propaganda.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Let the free market decide if they want to attempt a stop rising sea levels or not. I can guarantee that an ice age would have far more catastrophic effects to the economy than a warmer earth. A warmer earth means a longer growing season, doesn't sound like something you want to stop unless you live near sea level.
I don't want the "market" dictating human existance. To hell with the market.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Sea levels have been slowly rising at a steady pace for centuries, but what the scammers will do is use a year where a high discharges of ice from Greenland's glaciers occurred, and extrapolate that same rate of melt for every year thereafter. They will turn the data into charts, graphs and make wild predictions. Basically using actual data and turning it into propaganda.
Yes there are fluctuations in both directions but on average sea levels are rising.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
When I'm around people like you I always lie to them that I believe in man-made global warming so they never question my intelligence. Hopefully this strategy will save me from being sent to a reeducation camp in the future.
As I stated "US republicans are the only people on this entire planet, that are stupid enough to (not) believe in man made global warming." And all you republicans need to be sent to a reeducation camp (today.)

Even China believes in Global warming,

US and China agree to cooperate more closely to fight global warming | News | DW.DE | 15.02.2014
Climate solutions: China tackling climate change challenges with dynamic approach | The Jakarta Post

But republicans want to stay in the Fox news/ExxonMobile cult and say "man made global warming is a hoax" (to protect large corporations profits.)

Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I don't want the "market" dictating human existance. To hell with the market.

I was wondering how exactly a free market would address global warming, do we rely on their reaction to the current trends on their own? Do we trust that oil companies will develop a conscience in advance for the good o mankind, because I haven't seen that take place yet.

I always think of things like tobacco, the Pinto Automobile, asbestos, agent orange, DDT when it comes to the free market taking it's course. All good that ends well I guess in the eyes of some.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
The same people who said that smoking was harmless are the same ones denying AGW... In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question serious cancer risks to secondhand smoke, and to lobby against government public-health reforms. More recently, the Institute has focused on questioning the science of human-caused climate change, and was described by the New York Times as "the primary American organization pushing climate change skepticism.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes there are fluctuations in both directions but on average sea levels are rising.
Yes they are, the seas have been rising ever since the end of the last Ice-Age.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The same people who said that smoking was harmless are the same ones denying AGW... In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question serious cancer risks to secondhand smoke, and to lobby against government public-health reforms. More recently, the Institute has focused on questioning the science of human-caused climate change, and was described by the New York Times as "the primary American organization pushing climate change skepticism.
Getting desperate if you feel the need to make the smoking analogy.

The AGW movement is more akin to primitive man burning witches at the stake, or carving the human hearts out of sacrificial victims to make amends to the gods over a drought or a bad harvest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies