Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM

30,120 posts, read 18,733,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You agree with the league imposing this rule......if they do? Wow. It makes no sense to me. Guys talk **** all the time........even back in the day. NFL is about gone.........sadly............it was fun while it lasted.

Agreed. I really liked the old NFL. Remember when they had to stop the live telecast of the Chiefs-Raiders game around 1972 when a 45 minute fight broke out between the two teams?

Remember when every pass play did not have a pass interference call?

Remember when every punt or kickoff did not have a "block in the back" call?

Remember when "holding" calls were not called as a matter of course every fourth or fifth play?

Remember the running game?

The NFL needs to change:

1. make all holding legal: It would reduce injuries (reduce velocity of impact) and make the "line battle" look like a bar fight. The players are too big today and M x V = momentum. You cannot control mass, but you can reduce velocity.

2. make pass interference legal: allow the defender or the reciever to throw the other to the ground to get open. It would reduce the speed that both would be able to establish prior to a tackle.

3. stop using hard plastic helmets: trauma in football is BLUNT force- there is no need for a plastic weapon on one's head.

4. Grow the grass or create turf two inches long: slowing velocity will reduce injuries. It would affect everyone equally.

5. Require only three "down" offensive lineman. The different formations would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:44 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,844,613 times
nobody is offended by the word if its a black guy calling a black guy that.

if a white guy said that during a game the black guy would be ejected for pummeling the white guy so bad for saying it.

this is something that people just have to live with. matter of fact, i was standing in a subway line and a black teen was sitting there with some other people and i overheard him say n***a once in conversation he was having with somebody. i simply pretended not to hear and waited in line.

that word is not perceived negatively among this generation of black kids.

id say its on the level of these dumb lol, wtf, comments white kids created. i actually heard a white the other day say l o l. i was just laughing to myself. i'm only 29, and i'm too old for that white geek talk.

this is an overreach by goodell.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Oh so in the NFL they don't play thanks for clearing it up.
What I mean is that the same rules that govern any other workplace also apply to the gridiron. If you or I used racial slurs against our co-workers, we'd be in trouble. Why should the NFL be different?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,287 times
I find it funny, how the league would consider this rule, yet told Congress that the word Redskins is not offensive. So I guess if you make a few billion dollars off the offensive word, that's ok.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,046,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Didn't say that KU...stay with me.

I said that i can't defend the rule, ONLY the league's right to impose it. It's a private workplace whether we like it or not.

Yep...if they came down on Cooper, they've GOT to put an end to everyone else that says it audibly.

And in a sense, that's fair.
Let em play. I am on the "chain gang" for many high school games and they yack all day long..........just like we used to yack when I played. Some of it gets out of control but they take care of it on the field. Scoreboard is what matters. If the officials decide a game because of what some guy yacks............and where is the line? Just the N word or can they get away with talking about somebody's mom? Can they call em a MF? I mean it happens during the entire game. Folks threaten to kill each other.......lol. It is what it is. After the game they all shake hands and say a prayer..........many of em anyway. Its just ridiculous. You can't regulate folks speech during a football game where these guys are all jacked up. Remember that Sherman interview when he was all crazy?? Hell that guy graduated from Stanford and is smarter than most but he was just juiced. Leave these guys alone and let em do what they do. Somebody crosses the line they get their knee taken out.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:41 PM

17,663 posts, read 17,790,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Basically the game will be decided on a penalty where a black guy called another black guy the n-word, and didn’t mean anything by it.

NFL may impose 15-yard penalties for racial slurs on the field | ProFootballTalk
For white players only. Black players get a pass.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed. I really liked the old NFL. Remember when they had to stop the live telecast of the Chiefs-Raiders game around 1972 when a 45 minute fight broke out between the two teams?

Remember when every pass play did not have a pass interference call?

Remember when every punt or kickoff did not have a "block in the back" call?

Remember when "holding" calls were not called as a matter of course every fourth or fifth play?

Remember the running game?

The NFL needs to change:

1. make all holding legal: It would reduce injuries (reduce velocity of impact) and make the "line battle" look like a bar fight. The players are too big today and M x V = momentum. You cannot control mass, but you can reduce velocity.

2. make pass interference legal: allow the defender or the reciever to throw the other to the ground to get open. It would reduce the speed that both would be able to establish prior to a tackle.

3. stop using hard plastic helmets: trauma in football is BLUNT force- there is no need for a plastic weapon on one's head.

4. Grow the grass or create turf two inches long: slowing velocity will reduce injuries. It would affect everyone equally.

5. Require only three "down" offensive lineman. The different formations would be interesting.
My son plays in high school and he said he misses the grass fields as they all have turf now too. Nothing like a rain storm coming through and playing in the muck. Nobody gets to do that anymore though as the turf fields are on every high school field now. NFL has decided they want scoring so make everything harder on the defense. Now you can't even yack at somebody on the other side of the ball. I agree there in no need for the N word but there are a lot harsher things yelled at folks on a football field than that and the refs don't need to have to worry about penalizing bantor. They got enough penalties to call and they call plenty. Like you say just go slug it out. The three down offensive lineman is used in the arena league.........I think they can still talk sheet though.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Let em play. I am on the "chain gang" for many high school games and they yack all day long..........just like we used to yack when I played. Some of it gets out of control but they take care of it on the field. Scoreboard is what matters. If the officials decide a game because of what some guy yacks............and where is the line? Just the N word or can they get away with talking about somebody's mom? Can they call em a MF? I mean it happens during the entire game. Folks threaten to kill each other.......lol. It is what it is. After the game they all shake hands and say a prayer..........many of em anyway. Its just ridiculous. You can't regulate folks speech during a football game where these guys are all jacked up. Remember that Sherman interview when he was all crazy?? Hell that guy graduated from Stanford and is smarter than most but he was just juiced. Leave these guys alone and let em do what they do. Somebody crosses the line they get their knee taken out.
Can't do that.

They punished Riley Cooper...the Rubicon has been crossed.

The N word is now a punishable offense. A precedent was set.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
For white players only. Black players get a pass.
Or will they? I mean I have heard black guys calling each other the N word for years........since I was in hi skool. So will they get a penalty? This entire madness is ridiculous. Leave football alone........but liberals want it to change to be a nice sport where it's not so violent. Well sorry liberals football is violent..........you can commit crimes on the field and jack folks up. That is why it's so fun.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Or will they? I mean I have heard black guys calling each other the N word for years........since I was in hi skool. So will they get a penalty? This entire madness is ridiculous. Leave football alone........but liberals want it to change to be a nice sport where it's not so violent. Well sorry liberals football is violent..........you can commit crimes on the field and jack folks up. That is why it's so fun.
Roger Goodell and the NFL owners are liberals?

That's news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies