Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Has it completely escaped your attention that the income gap has been widening overall since at least 1947?

Enjoy your economic oppression. You're advocating for it.

By the way... the income gap is going to widen further still, because idiots don't understand that it's in the federal government's best interest to promote such to maximize income tax revenue. What are the lefties' words for that? Oh, yeah... "Embrace the suck."
Poor who earn $10,000 a year will always be poor, and we will always have people like that. So if the rest of the nation moves on, and median family income goes from $20,000 to $60,000, the income gap widens.

We live in a global market now, this is not 1950 where the corner market store owner had just one store. We have progressed from a corner store, to multiple stores in a county, to hundreds of stores across the country, to thousand of stores across the world. Companies grow, competition is world wide and best the world has to offer to run these multinational companies see their salaries rise in comparison.

We used to compare a poor family's income to the owner of the corner store, we now compare them to people working in multinational companies, so of course the income gap is wider. It's only common sense that the more customers and the wider the distribution and sale of products and services becomes, the more money the top income earners in these companies will make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Has it completely escaped your attention that the income gap has been widening overall since at least 1947?

Enjoy your economic oppression. You're advocating for it.

By the way... the income gap is going to widen further still, because idiots don't understand that it's in the federal government's best interest to promote such to maximize income tax revenue. What are the lefties' words for that? Oh, yeah... "Embrace the suck."
No it has not been widening since 1947.

I am not advocating for anything.

Again, this point you believe has no basis in reality.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

You obviously haven't argued with informedConsent before have you? While I disagree on many things with him that are opinions, things he states as facts he tend to backs, the chart he responded to you with earlier is a good example. All of this data can be checked very easily.

Your response that "No it has not been widening since 1947." is pretty foolish looking unless you care to back up your opinion with real facts.

At this point your rebuttal has no basis in reality, whereas InformedConsents "belief" is very clearly backed up by these things we call "facts". He even provides a nice graph full of data that you can verify from multiple places.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Look:

Do you not see the 95th-percentile line rise higher and faster than any of the others?

Quote:
Since when is actual data not reality?

You know you're only fooling yourself...

Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:

it all depends on your definition

the gini index (income gap) had been kept within the same 10 point range for the last 80 years

Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it all depends on your definition

the gini index (income gap) had been kept within the same 10 point range for the last 80 years

that 10 point range is actually a pretty intense amount of variation if you understand how the co-efficient is measured, and its gone from the bottom of that 10 point range to the top of it. Also-no worries the graph you have is a little out of date, its believed to be back on track and increasing, the crash in the late 2000's really hurt the richest the most in total value, but they've received the vast majority of the gains since then, more then compensating that drop.

The gradual increase in inequality really took off around 1970, and it is a major source of concern.

A certain level of inequality is good, I'd guess it as a gini of around 35. 40 is where it starts being bad (in my opinion), and 45 is just bad. (again opinion)

Old 12-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You obviously haven't argued with informedConsent before have you? While I disagree on many things with him that are opinions, things he states as facts he tend to backs, the chart he responded to you with earlier is a good example. All of this data can be checked very easily.

Your response that "No it has not been widening since 1947." is pretty foolish looking unless you care to back up your opinion with real facts.

At this point your rebuttal has no basis in reality, whereas InformedConsents "belief" is very clearly backed up by these things we call "facts". He even provides a nice graph full of data that you can verify from multiple places.
What facts has he supplied? I have no belief. Income inequality was contracting until the 1960's in this nation.

It contracted again in the 1990's for a brief time. So far I have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Wow, really?

I had no idea some random rich guy paid for: my sales tax, my income tax, my SS and medicare tax, and so on.

That's really nice of them - when do they send me the check?

We all know the answer - never - because it's total BS that "the rich pay all the taxes." They don't, and anyone who can seriously claim such a thing must have absolutely no understanding of how anything in this nation works or actually consider almost anyone with a job "rich." Who believes this nonsense, anyway??

Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Look:

Do you not see the 95th-percentile line rise higher and faster than any of the others?

Since when is actual data not reality?

You know you're only fooling yourself...
http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms/11-28-11pov-f1.png
First, when I responded to you originally, I didn't see those charts, but I disagree.

A Guide to Statistics on Historical Trends in Income Inequality — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
First, when I responded to you originally, I didn't see those charts, but I disagree.

A Guide to Statistics on Historical Trends in Income Inequality — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
From your own link:

I see extremely little decline in the income gap in that chart.

Do you even know how to read charts given their stated parameters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies