Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,554,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So your claim is that after foreclosure, you still get to keep the house?

By that logic, why aren't people charged tax on their credit card balances and on all the other debt they owe? Have they not similarly acquired "assets" via the same means?

I'm sorry, what is it about the definition of collateral and lending are you missing?

What does it matter that you are taxed on an asset that you decide(d) to use as collateral to purchase?

If I take out a car loan, I pay fees/taxes on that car - in some states, yearly - despite the existence of a loan that uses my purchase as collateral. If I take out an in-store loan to purchase a refrigerator, the right of repossession exists even though I paid taxes at the time of purchase for that refrigerator.

Credit card debt is merely unsecured debt. Your collateral is your credit score and the threat of a judgment (which, by the way, COULD result in the forced sale of your house, garnishment of wages, etc., depending on the state).

People do not pay taxes on their mortgage balance. In fact, they get a credit towards their taxes for interest paid. And yes, it's still considered an ASSET, the value of which is weighed against any loans you have.... mortgage or otherwise.

So if your house is worth 300k, and you owe 150k, you have 150k of assets/net worth. Because you can sell the house, pay off the note and pocket 150k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM

89,896 posts, read 45,615,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm sorry, what is it about the definition of collateral and lending are you missing?
Nothing. Why are you insisting one can keep an asset pledged as collateral for a loan one fails to repay?

Quote:
What does it matter that you are taxed on an asset that you decide(d) to use as collateral to purchase?
If it's pledged as collateral, you don't own the asset. Ask any county registrar. Check any foreclosure sales.

Quote:
Credit card debt is merely unsecured debt.
It is used to acquire, in part, personal property. Some states tax personal property.

Quote:
People do not pay taxes on their mortgage balance.
Indeed, they do. People pay property taxes on the entire assessed valuation, not just on their actual equity stake.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,554,721 times
Quote:
Nothing. Why are you insisting one can keep an asset pledged as collateral for a loan one fails to repay?
I have said no such thing. Please demonstrate where I have "insisted" same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
If it's pledged as collateral, you don't own the asset. Ask any county registrar.
Yes, you do. You own it and will continue to own it until such time as the bank exercises its right to foreclose because you failed to make good on the repayment of your loan. That's how SECURED loans work when dealing with any purchase.

I have a house and a mortgage. The name of my mortgage company does not appear anywhere on the deed filed with the clerk of court. The mortgage SECURING the bank's interests in my house as collateral for the money they put towards the purchase of my home is also filed with the clerk of court, but does not convey ANY ownership interest to the bank.

Finally, though I owe money to the bank still, I do have equity in my home. That equity is part of my net worth. The balance of the mortgage loan acts as a negative towards my net worth.

Quote:
It is used to acquire, in part, personal property. Some states tax personal property.
And you pay higher interest rates because it is unsecured and the bank has no right to repossess items purchased with the credit card. (Again, unless they obtain judgment and attach your assets).

Quote:
Indeed, they do. People pay property taxes on the entire assessed valuation, not just on their actual equity stake.
A mortgage bank has no "equity stake" in your property. Only the people appearing on the deed have such an equity stake.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 690 times
Quote:
Only if you totally ignore U.S. Census data.

You're REALLY in very deep denial, aren't you?

Let's have another look...
The richest 1% earn 19% of wages but pay 37% of taxes. That in SPITE of the fact that much of their income is dividends and cap gains that are taxed at a lower rate.
The simple fact that the upper 5% of wages didnt even come close to following inflation (325% increase compared to 750% inflation) also means that a lot more people are making that upper 5% of income (remember, this shows the upper 5% of INCOME not the upper 5% of earners or these income dollars would be much higher keeping pace with inflation).
Overall what this graph shows is that the average American is doing much better than in the 1950s and it is in a liberals best interest to tell the middle class (the MAJORITY of voters) that they are losing out.
It is the typical economic envy SCAM.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,549,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyshowsus View Post
The richest 1% earn 19% of wages but pay 37% of taxes. That in SPITE of the fact that much of their income is dividends and cap gains that are taxed at a lower rate.
The simple fact that the upper 5% of wages didnt even come close to following inflation (325% increase compared to 750% inflation) also means that a lot more people are making that upper 5% of income (remember, this shows the upper 5% of INCOME not the upper 5% of earners or these income dollars would be much higher keeping pace with inflation).
Overall what this graph shows is that the average American is doing much better than in the 1950s and it is in a liberals best interest to tell the middle class (the MAJORITY of voters) that they are losing out.
It is the typical economic envy SCAM.
This is a 4 month old topic. if you want to discuss it please post a new one. Don't resurrect a months old one.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,798,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
This says that the top 40% of wage earners pay 106% of income taxes.
You only need to earn $32,000 a year to be in the top 40% of income earners in the United States. Heck, only 25% of people in this country have incomes of more than $50,000/year. Does CNBC and OP seriously consider a $15/hour wage "wealthy?"
Good catch.

And to be in the top 33.5% you only need to make $37,500/year.

Affluence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is more of a commentary on the extreme wealth gap in the US than it is cause to assume the rich are carrying the country.

And 8k/year? There's no way to survive on that.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM

7,607 posts, read 5,855,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Finally, the third and most important aspect is that conservative tax policy is also a huge contributor to this income tax story.

conservatives want lower income taxes on rich people, but when conservatives go to the American people to sell lower taxes, they say lower income taxes for EVERYONE.

This means that every time conservatives lowered the income tax bill of the well to do, they lowered the income tax bill of everyone else, this resulted in fewer people paying federal income taxes, which greatly contributed to the reality we have today.
No the problem is a spending problem and we will NEVER tax our way out.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,047,256 times
Then why doesn't Trump release his if he has nothing to worry about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies