Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,370,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's a sad day when a Canadian knows more about American history than you do.
This American is glad someone knows it.

It's certainly not the average Religious Right poster on CD who seems to think God sent the Bill of Rights to Ronald Reagan while he was in the shining city upon the hill.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-11-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,370,862 times
A hindu group has plans to put a statue of one of their gods on the grounds now too. The local news ancors claim it is unlikely since displays have to have a link with Oklahoma history. Not what I understand. Wonder how they get past this one.

Just imagine the bible thumpers starting a collection of monuments to world religion.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,232,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
A hindu group has plans to put a statue of one of their gods on the grounds now too. The local news ancors claim it is unlikely since displays have to have a link with Oklahoma history. Not what I understand. Wonder how they get past this one.

Just imagine the bible thumpers starting a collection of monuments to world religion.
They just might end up having to do what they should have been doing all along: Love and respect others instead of embracing the current "We are the best, we are the only ones who will be saved, all others be damned" approach that is so prevalent in US Christian culture.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,273,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There aren't different interpretations and different teachings. But there are those who have twisted the truth of scripture to suit there own beliefs. They wrongly interpret scripture to fit with what they believe.

The various translations are simply translations into modern Enlgish, but they do not change the interpretation.

However, the Jehovas Witnesses (they are not Crhistians, but a cult) have written their own bible to suit their anti-Christian view of Christ.

The Catholics do not even read the bible, and they rely on their traditions, what the church says. The bible does not support many Catholic teaching, for instance their teachings on Mary, the Mass, and their teaching about "prugatory," (an idea that is found nowhere in the bible).

If you seriously wanted your question answered, I suggest "Evidence That Demands a Verdict," by Josh McDowell.

But I doubt you really care. You are only trying to discredit the bible with the popular secularist lies and phoney arguments that do not stand up under investigation. That was the challenge given to Josh McDowell, and he took it up. He ended up a believer.
Sadly I know a lot of folks here in Oklahoma who would agree with this guy. I have been taught most of my life that Catholics, Jehovas Witnesses, Mormons and so on were not christians and unless they woke up and saw the light, they would all burn in hell. I remember my history teacher explaining to us how Catholics were domed to burn in Hell.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,610,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The Romans should have just keep the Jews in Jerusalem
why?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,364,670 times
Quote:
Could you point out the circular logic in anything I've said?
Religions in general are circularly (ill)-logical, but that's another discussion.

Quote:
You should be seeking God's truth.
Which god? Which truth? Who are you or anyone else to say?

If there WERE "One god" and "One truth" it's likely we wouldn't have dozens of world religions and scores and scores of Christian denominations, eh?

Quote:
There are only God's truths. There are no other possiblilities in my faith (Christian) or any faith. God is God. Period.
Of course, this is completely meritless, and based on absolutely NOTHING but your own beliefs and opinions.

The FACT is, there is absolutely no more reason to claim Yahweh, patron deity of some sects of ancient Hebrews, is "real" and all other gods are false than there is to say the same of Odin, Zeus, Vishnu or Ra.

None whatsoever.

Quote:
The range of beliefs and the teachings of other religions are not the beauty of the world, and they do not lead to joy and wonder.
This is one of the most sanctimonious, arrogant, presumptuous and ignorant things I've ever read.

Who the hell, if you don't mind, gave you the power and insight to judge for everyone what is "truth" and what will lead to joy and wonder? What a load of baseless, infantile garbage.

Can you even take your blinders off for a moment and become aware how ridiculous and spiteful you sound?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 PM

57,398 posts, read 26,481,121 times
Festivus comes to the state capital of Florida

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...isplay-Capitol

Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,232,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Can you even take your blinders off for a moment and become aware how ridiculous and spiteful you sound?
No he can't. He's a self-righteous zealot and acts exactly like all other self-righteous zealots.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,918,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This is one of the most sanctimonious, arrogant, presumptuous and ignorant things I've ever read.

Who the hell, if you don't mind, gave you the power and insight to judge for everyone what is "truth" and what will lead to joy and wonder? What a load of baseless, infantile garbage.

Every one of nonenseneguy's responses in this thread is sanctimonious, arrogant, presumptuous and ignorant. He has decided that he, and he alone, knows "the truth" and the rest of us are going to burn in hell if we don't agree with him.

And unfortunately, he is a good representation of the fundamentalist Christians (please note, I do not include all Christians or people of religion, just the fundies like nononsenseguy) not only on this board, but in this country. They cannot be allowed to turn the United States into a theocracy that tolerates nothing outside of their narrow little world view.

I would like it to begin with removing these religious monuments from property that belongs to all citizens. But failing that, then I hope every religion, large and small, demands equal right to put up their own monuments. If the backward fundamentalists in Oklahoma want religion on their government property, let's give it to them, in every flavor and creed. Clutter up their capital grounds with a religious monument to every religion known to man. Now THAT I could support.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 PM

717 posts, read 651,406 times
Quote:
It means exactly what it says, "All scripture is God breathed." That is to include the words of the apostles, as Paul said (Galatians 1:11,12):
11 I want you to know brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
So, Paul acknowledges and affirms that what he received, he received from God.
No, it does not. Paul never calls his words scripture. Peter says that Paul's words are scripture but never Paul himself. As well Peter's words were almost certainly written AFTER Paul's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies