Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,861,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You can't support safety nets with one breathe and call people down on their luck "leeches" with your next breathe... Somebody might point you to a dictionary.

Hypocrite - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
One is temporary, the other is on going. This is why I believe everyone should have to pay some form of income taxes, and the earned income tax credit should be eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM

38,748 posts, read 22,528,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if someone does not pay any federal taxes and benifits greatly from the taxes of others are they not "leeches"?
Someone filing their income taxes, following the rules and gets a tax return that eclipses the taxes they paid in, is not a leech, they are just following the yax laws. It's the government that makes the tax laws. The Bush tax cuts are what causes so many people to fall off the tax rolls, they were supposed to be temporary. Now they are permanent, and I don't fault the people who benefit.

A leech is someone refusing to pull their weight, because they won't even try to get a job, and knowingly cheats the system to get as much free stuff as possible. The hard working guy who files his taxes is not a leech if government gives him a large tax return.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Someone filing their income taxes, following the rules and gets a tax return that eclipses the taxes they paid in, is not a leech, they are just following the yax laws. It's the government that makes the tax laws. The Bush tax cuts are what causes so many people to fall off the tax rolls, they were supposed to be temporary. Now they are permanent, and I don't fault the people who benefit.

A leech is someone refusing to pull their weight, because they won't even try to get a job, and knowingly cheats the system to get as much free stuff as possible. The hard working guy who files his taxes is not a leech if government gives him a large tax return.
Did you read the post directly above yours?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Quite possibly, because this 40% isn't far off the mark? Just look at the other thread on here about the EBT Cards and Walmart. The second someone can take advantage of someone else's money, they do and in droves. That is a leech and a dreg of society.
The leeches are the same people who go into a grocery store, eat all the free food samples without any intention of buying anything.

They were the same ones who would buy a used PlayStation at a garage sale, take it to Walmart, lie that they bought it there and lost the receipt, and return it for $300. Walmart does not allow returns anymore without a receipt because of the leeches, who abused the store's trust.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,283,210 times
Quote:

In which case you don't fault the ultra rich for using every tax loophole their accountants and tax lawyers can find.
I agree with you. I blame our elected reps who pass laws that allow for such abuses... I never fault people for taking advantage of the law. I fault those who facilitate the takers by passing bad laws or not adjusting the laws to counter the abuses.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM

32,300 posts, read 15,244,801 times
Quote:
The leeches are the same people who go into a grocery store, eat all the free food samples without any intention of buying anything.

They were the same ones who would buy a used PlayStation at a garage sale, take it to Walmart, lie that they bought it there and lost the receipt, and return it for $300. Walmart does not allow returns anymore without a receipt because of the leeches, who abused the store's trust.

Oh please, I don't believe that for one minute. There are no stores that allow returns without a receipt.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Oh please, I don't believe that for one minute. There are no stores that allow returns without a receipt.
Do you want to guess why Costco changed it return policy re electronics?

And many stores still take returns without a receipt, Home Depot is one that I am familiar with, best buy as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Walmart used to do this, and people used to rip them off. Hell, I think the shoplifters had a real deal going, and Walmart finally figured out that too many people are scum, and stopped the policy.

I did a quick Google search, that took me less then a minute. Google is your friend: (Or Bing in this case

walmart return policy "usedto" "without a receipt" - Bing
Walmart Corporate - Walmart's Return Policy

Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In which case you don't fault the ultra rich for using every tax loophole their accountants and tax lawyers can find.
I agree with you. I blame our elected reps who pass laws that allow for such abuses... I never fault people for taking advantage of the law. I fault those who facilitate the takers by passing bad laws or not adjusting the laws to counter the abuses.
The politicians have always bought votes thru our tax laws. With sweet tax loopholes for the rich corporations, they buy donations and favors.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,480,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do you think that Republicans on food stamps or other aid/welfare are hypocrites.
No.

I am a Republican on disability. According to liberals I've talked to I am "voting against my self interest." Nonsense. I never met another conservative who begrudged me my disability. Because I am legitimately disabled. And before I became disabled, I did not begrudge other legitimately disabled people their benefits either. See how that works? The same goes for the poor.
Quote:
The Republican party has made it a central issue that "Obama is a food stamp President" and saying similar things.
Because he is. Do you understand the concept of "too much"? See, the idea is that you can have none of something, too little of something, the right amount of something, or too much of something. Just because you don't support too much of something, doesn't mean you therefore support none of that thing. It's not rocket science.
Quote:
I recently heard about someone that is supposedly a "hard core Republican" but turns out they receive food stamps..

How is this NOT hypocritical?
Simple logic. Something that escapes most partisan liberals. Which you seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies