Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

31,297 posts, read 20,816,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
News for you, Obama is not rich, he's not poor, but he's not rich.
He's richer than 99% of Americans and his Crony Capitalist buddies are wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

89,507 posts, read 45,203,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So by going to a flat tax from a progressive tax...we will suddenly make wealth inequality better?
Immediately? No. But it most definitely would remove the government's incentive to maintain as wide of an income gap as possible in order to maximize tax revenue. AND more people would take a much more active role in holding politicians and our government accountable because they would have a financial stake in making sure the government cuts back on excess spending, waste, and sweetheart no-bid contracts for their friends.
Quote:
Having seen some of the issues from voucher schools I dont buy that at all.
There is no such thing as a voucher school. What a voucher does is enable education money to follow the student to the school they attend. It means those who want to escape abysmally performing schools can do so.
Quote:
I agree schools for those who would better make use of them...ie merit schools? might be good.
It would be good, but as I stated in my recent post, actually educating everyone to the best of their ability is against the Democrats' best interest. The DNC knows darn well their largest voter demographic is the undereducated and poor.

Quote:
1992 was a long time ago.
Which is why I said "and the books that have followed." Stanley continues his research on the rich, has published more books since then, and posts updates, etc., on his website. His books are available to borrow at libraries. It won't cost you a dime to read them unless you keep them out past their return due date.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,028,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. The Koch brothers inherited their money. Soros is rumored to have been born to a wealthy family-but to be honest Im not seeing a ton of factual references to his childhood. Buffet's father was a congressman, and later owned an investment house. nope no money there.

Look you can peddle that fantasy all you want-the reality is that wealth like there takes both hard work, luck, and a good starting base. The ones you mentioned all work hard. But so do millions of Americans. then you need luck. And thats pretty random. And these days...you often need a good starting base. I believe there was a time that all it took was hard work. The later hard work and some luck. But these days? hahaha. no. You take all of these people money away and they will not be among the rich again.

As for the poor? Yes some of them would blow it. These are the typical "I deserve this because I am special people". I have a sister-she'd probably start a lawn mowing company. Another one would invest it and ignore it, I'd do a little of both. But I have some people I know...they'd blow it all.
In the same vein, you could also argue that it takes some luck to be born into an environment that teaches and encourages you to game the system. Many poor are born into that sort of environment, and they spend their lives living at the expense of others.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
So, you think businesses should be allowed to own rivers?
Yes. Businesses usually take very good care of things that they own because they know it's good for business. Just go to Disney World and look around.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
In the same vein, you could also argue that it takes some luck to be born into an environment that teaches and encourages you to game the system. Many poor are born into that sort of environment, and they spend their lives living at the expense of others.
Millions of babies don't even get to be born, so it takes a lot of luck just to be born.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,192,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. Businesses usually take very good care of things that they own because they know it's good for business. Just go to Disney World and look around.
Disney world isn't the same thing as say, a chemical company owning a river. I think a better idea is that the people keep their ownership of rivers and just not let businesses pollute them.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,905,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why does that need to change? Did they steal what they have or something? If it's stolen, then yes something needs to be done about this. If they earned it, it's theirs not anyone else's to worry about. I'm also not sure I want to live in a country that is against gaining wealth. The only way you'll stop this is to steal it from them. You see what you are missing is only the top works hard enough to accumulate this kind of wealth. Why are you blaming them for the rest of the folks who didn't do things like start up Microsoft, invent something, start a chain of businesses, or have the good fortune to have been born to parents who did..etc, etc, ect...? There is nothing stopping you from taking out loans and starting your own business and working it until you succeed. Personally, I'm too lazy to do that so I work a job like most folks but I don't begrudge those who have worked for what they have for what they have. Perhaps they worked harder than me, are smarter than me or are just luckier than me but it's theirs not mine.

I'm not sure who told you life was supposed to be fair but they lied to you.

I really don't care how much wealth the top 1% has. It isn't mine and doesn't affect me. Now if they want to just cut me a check for a million, I'd be ever so grateful......but it is theirs to do with as they wish.
Since at the same time the top 1% accrued exorbitant wealth, the middle class and poor have lost wealth. Perhaps the wealthy billionaires such as the Waltons could pay a livable wage.......... Instead, they are glad that so many people have the attitude you have. Keep waiting for that "trickle down!"

9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact

Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,905,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yeah, because we all know that businesses have never polluted the air, rivers, or land.

Will companies buy our air now too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNyrqYfU45o

Last edited by jojajn; 11-13-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,321,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Disney world isn't the same thing as say, a chemical company owning a river. I think a better idea is that the people keep their ownership of rivers and just not let businesses pollute them.
You really believe that Disneyland is different from Lake Erie? LMAO..

I know ...some of these posters think we live inside an Ayn Rand novel.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,106,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

So, then...if government didn't interfere at all in business, wages would be much higher for most jobs, especially low end jobs? And thus, the economy and the populace as a whole would be much better off?
Absolutely.

I'm not saying that businesses should have carte blanche to pollute and place employees in harms way.

However, government should have stayed out of the way of wages and benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies