Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,497,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So then what do we do? Should we outlaw junk food? How about beer and cigarettes?
Not necessarily! But we could do a much better job than we do in educating people on what to eat. Since many conservatives are touting "personal responsibility" how about this?

For every whole number increase in BMI number over the max - currently 25, we decrease the amount of health insurance coverage by 10%. So if you have a BMI over 35, you'd be entirely responsible for your health care costs. Would you be O.K. with that? Just wonderin'!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so what is "true" in the south? I am very familiar with the "liberals" down there.
There are a lot of FAT, right-wing, camo-wearing, "conservatives" riding around in their pickups with guns in the back windows with some sort of extremist-view bumper stickers down here.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You don't know one damn thing about this family.
They're Hispanic. Very likely voted Democrat if any of them are actually here legally. And Hispanics are overwhelmingly Roman Catholic, which does not permit the use of birth control or abortions.

Quote:
Why do you hate the poor?
I don't hate them. I'm just pointing out the fact that artificially supporting the poor with means-tested welfare programs is actually oppressing the middle class because of our country's progressive tax structure. See my earlier posts.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM

872 posts, read 828,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
There are a lot of FAT, right-wing, camo-wearing, "conservatives" riding around in their pickups with guns in the back windows with some sort of extremist-view bumper stickers down here.

I live in the South......and maybe, this exists in your twisted mind......but, this is not reality..........

Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,757,982 times
Quote:
but there are even more fat black sickle celled diabetics who also carry guns, but ride on a bus.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But when a liberal tries to suggest that maybe people should eat broccoli and drink water once in a while instead of subsisting on sugar water and junk food, Republicans and conservatives demagogue them to death, saying "you'll pry my Doritos and Big Gulps out of my cold dead hands!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yep. look how they talk about the first lady when she talks about eating healthy.

what RWNJs are really saying is that people on food stamps don't deserve the same freedoms as the rest of us to choose what their families should eat. the same people who complain about this woman and her family eating this god-awful diet would complain if she instead took her family to whole foods and bought organic everything. "if she can buy organic food that I can't even afford, she doesn't need food stamps!", they'd exclaim. because what they really are all about is controlling the poor and punishing them for being poor. imagine if there were government employees sent to educate families like this one on proper nutrition and how to budget their food allowance paid for by tax payers. they'd whine about that too. what if we put gov't. subsidized farmer's markets in the many urban "food deserts" in America. the outrage would still be there from the right. they hate the poor.
This, in a nutshell.

I think that people absolutely should make good food choices and should be given the tools to do so. Imagine the outcry, however, if the government were to start sending people en masse to nutrition classes. I expect that it would be something akin to the silliness about FEMA camps.
Just more liberal indoctrination.

Fast food, junk food, etc. are very expensive in the long run but the fact remains that when people are suffering from food insecurity, those types of foods are almost always going to be the first things that they reach for be it for reward, instant feelings of fullness, whatever.
Until that food insecurity is relieved people will continue to make poor choices. And it does nothing for the cause to stomp one's feet and whine about the long reach of government when people attempt to do just that.
All that does is prove that people really couldn't care less about anything other than their own narrow agenda.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
I live in the South......and maybe, this exists in your twisted mind......but, this is not reality..........
Maybe you need to have your eyesight checked. And the fact that YOU live in the South is certainly no surprise to me.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:59 PM

872 posts, read 828,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This, in a nutshell.

I think that people absolutely should make good food choices and should be given the tools to do so. Imagine the outcry, however, if the government were to start sending people en masse to nutrition classes. I expect that it would be something akin to the silliness about FEMA camps.
Just more liberal indoctrination.

Fast food, junk food, etc. are very expensive in the long run but the fact remains that when people are suffering from food insecurity, those types of foods are almost always going to be the first things that they reach for be it for reward, instant feelings of fullness, whatever.
Until that food insecurity is relieved people will continue to make poor choices. And it does nothing for the cause to stomp one's feet and whine about the long reach of government when people attempt to do just that.
All that does is prove that people really couldn't care less about anything other than their own narrow agenda.
What tools were you given to make good food choices?? Was it your parents?? A class in school?? Trial and error on your part??

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I hope she has enough food stamps to offer her family a nice dinner for Thanksgiving. Hear my prayer O Lord.
Amen.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,757,982 times
Quote:
Maybe you need to have your eyesight checked. And the fact that YOU live in the South is certainly no surprise to me.
I don't believe you live in the south at all. further more, I don't believe you've ever been to the south. in fact, you seem pretty out of touch with the reality of the entire country regardless of geographic location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.