Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,841,882 times

Advertisements

hey michigan moon, just because this black incumbent was warning people doesn't mean they paid attention to him. i would not, because i, along with 99 percent of other people would not care about an HCC election race and would forget about it or just dismiss it.

the whole idea with this story is for white conservative males to portray blacks as bumbling idiots who are not capable or worthy of voting, but as i said more white males voted for mccain/romney based on race then blacks in this election, so it doesnt hold weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,602,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's what I wanna know. If he is, the whole story is meaningless.

Moreover, without even knowing what he was running for and how many votes were cast, it's a senseless piece.

It's a local election in an off year...the kind of election that attracts 3 voters.
It was also a pretty contentious mayoral election, so not as low of a turnout as you would think in an off year.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:57 PM

9,015 posts, read 13,857,524 times
I wonder,due to what he did,can he be "voted out".

Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,796,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
He is being accused of being deceptive on his race and being deceptive that a well known area black man endorsed him (same name as his cousin).
A politician was being deceptive???

Say it ain't so!

Quote:
No one, I repeat, no one is accusing him of hiding his positions on the issues.
Oh, so he was NOT promising people that if they liked their health plan (or their doctor), they could keep them, period... knowing that it was an issue that would hit them directly in the pocketbook and involved a fundamental question of freedom, and knowing that what he was promising, wasn't true.

Instead, he was simply deceiving them on completely unimportant and irrelevant matters... such as his own race.

Remind me, why is this a problem?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,945,226 times
I don't see the problem here... We are supposed to be a racially blind society.. Whether black or white should make no difference.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 AM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
I love how these libbies are tap dancing all over the place. Here is what was proven:

The one running to keep his seat was black. A black Democrat.

The one who was trying to win the seat, (half heartedly), was white. A white Republican.

The white Republican sent out flyers with images of "smiling African Americans", and stated that Ron Wilson endorsed him, and even included fine print RIGHT underneath that stating that Ron Wilson was his cousin. It wasn't a lie. His cousin did endorse him, people just didn't read the fine print. Regardless, what he proved was that, given the choice between a black candidate and an assumption that the other was also a black candidate, people actually voted on ISSUES, not skin color. And it looks like they were pretty darn tired of the Democrat.

It's quite telling if you would stop trying to avoid the reality.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,371,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thats what I was wondering. Did he actually change his opinions deceiving people on that point as well as pretending to be black. I guess it would be one thing if he kept his political views and pretended to be black. IF he has won then it would have been interesting.
But if he also changed his political views.. then whats so special about it?

thats just it.
when pandering for democrat votes, position is irrevelant, skin color and free stuff is all that matters...

Old 11-10-2013, 12:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love how these libbies are tap dancing all over the place. Here is what was proven:

The one running to keep his seat was black. A black Democrat.

The one who was trying to win the seat, (half heartedly), was white. A white Republican.

The white Republican sent out flyers with images of "smiling African Americans", and stated that Ron Wilson endorsed him, and even included fine print RIGHT underneath that stating that Ron Wilson was his cousin. It wasn't a lie. His cousin did endorse him, people just didn't read the fine print. Regardless, what he proved was that, given the choice between a black candidate and an assumption that the other was also a black candidate, people actually voted on ISSUES, not skin color. And it looks like they were pretty darn tired of the Democrat.

It's quite telling if you would stop trying to avoid the reality.
What's telling? That blacks vote based on issues and not skin color? Who didn't know that? The recent mayor's race in Detroit is further evidence of that.

But wait...I thought the wingnuts said that blacks DON'T vote on the issues but on race exclusively?

But still, this story is quite convoluted without knowing what exactly did the man run for (it wasn't in the piece) and how many people even voted.

Regardless, I don't really see what's the big problem here except for one thing....

The Republican party is constantly complaining about their lack of black support and how blacks won't vote for them because of this or that and yet...THIS is the way you wanna get black votes? By being deceptive and admitting it? Is that the way to endear yourself to a black constituency? A constituency that already finds your party to be suspect?

Why not simply keep it real right from the beginning? Chris Christie TRIPLED his black support in New Jersey, and he didn't do it by being quasi-deceitful. He did it by actually GOING into the places where blacks are (imagine that...I know...unimaginable for a right winger) and presenting his point of view even when he knew they sharply disagreed on some issues.

I know...different animal, right? Because unlike Texas Republicans, New Jersey Republicans actually use their heads. SMH

Old 11-10-2013, 12:57 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,592,989 times
It appears that 3 or maybe 4 people read the article and didnt just jump to conclusions.

The man made it seem as if he was endorsed by someone the community respected

And LOL About the against gay marriage line, has anyone ever been to the South ? The Democrats around here are all against gay marriage, atleast the elected one. The guy who just won my districts primary for congress is against gay marriage.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're also finding out one doesn't even have to be alive to either vote or win office
Why do you continue to lie ? Where are all these dead voters ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies