Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,604,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All but one state mandates a minimum amount of auto liability insurance. The sole exception requires the uninsured to demonstrate the ability to cover liability out of pocket.

All car loans require car owners to maintain auto insurance, including collision.

All property mortgages require owners to demonstrate and maintain insurance.

Only in America, do people value their phones more so than their own health.
What's your subsidy going to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,122,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
That's not entirely true. Exchanges are open to everyone, not just low-income people. Here in Minnesota, the state exchange is a far better deal than our previous state plan and way cheaper than going to the private market.
Ceese's point was that no one is required to buy from an exchange.

One can buy an ACA compliant policy directly from an insurer.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM

3,600 posts, read 6,812,395 times
Quote:
Insurance is all about mutualization of risks:

The healthy subsidize the benefits of the sick.
Safe drivers subsidize the cost of reckless drivers.
Sober drivers subsidize the cost of DUIs.
Those who live subsidize the benefits of those who die sooner rather than later.
Those who do not live in areas prone to fill in the blank subsidize the benefit of those who do.
Those who manage not to get sued subsidize the cost of those who do.
Bad analogy.

1. Reckless drivers do not have their car insurance subsidized if they are poor.

2. There is no tort reform in the ACA

3. Drivers would have DUIs usually are either thrown off their insurance policies or have their premiums tripled and the government does not subsidize their premiums or guarantee them coverage like they do with healthcare.

4. Those who live in areas prone to flooding/sink holes etc often times cannot even get insurance unlike healthcare pre existing condition with the ACA.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,702,422 times
Quote:
All but one state mandates a minimum amount of auto liability insurance. The sole exception requires the uninsured to demonstrate the ability to cover liability out of pocket.

All car loans require car owners to maintain auto insurance, including collision.

All property mortgages require owners to demonstrate and maintain insurance.

Only in America, do people value their phones more so than their own health.
One could make a slightly more nuanced argument though. Mortgages and car loans require insurance because that is property that could suffer a loss -- and therefore cause the bank to be holding a worthless asset.

No such construct exists with human bodies.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,159,825 times
This is the "error message" I got from healthcare.gov

Quote:
Oops. You didn't check your email in time.

You should've gotten an email from the Marketplace with a link, but too much time has passed for that link to work. Re-enter your information now, and we'll send you another email. Check your email soon, and click the link in the email to create your Marketplace account. If you've already verified your email address, you can log in If you've already verified your email address, you can log in here.
I checked it within two minutes of getting the e-mail and waited about 4 minutes on the site for it to load.

This was oh over 15 minutes ago and no re-email was sent.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I just talked to an insurance broker... OMFG! I can get right now a 2013 plan with 5k deductible for under $200... the same plan in 2014 will be a little under $500.... he basically told me to buy now so that I don't pay a 250% increase next year... he's right... if you can, buy now! The problem is, after the plan expires next year, I will have to pay the $500 or decrease the plan's benefits which would only reduce it to a little more than $400 a month.... the corporation was paying everyone's PPO health benefits for the entire family and we are dumping them into the exchange for 2014... looks like I am going to be subsidizing someone's insurance for $3600/year... I can't believe I am being robbed thousands of dollars...
Interesting...It's my understanding that all individual healthcare plans that are non ACA complaint will be terminated on 12/31/2013. For your own sake, please verify.

Many posting here, there, everywhere tend to compare prices ignoring the benefits and in doing so are comparing apples to oranges.

The cheapest pre ACA sub prime policies tend to have high deductibles, low lifetime caps and plenty of exclusions.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You can't get a subsidy without being on the exchange... and that is pretty much the only people going on the exchange... Open enrollment may continue but you have to have coverage on 1/1/2014... that 3/22/2014 date is pointless, that is just for enrolling...

That's weird that you went to BCBS site because I tried to go to Anthem BCBS and got a whole bunch of errors and couldn't get through...
My state has 6 insurers and 360 plans. The state exchange would, in theory, allow consumers to more easily compare and contrast plans.

In 2016, your IRS tax filing for fiscal year 2015, is going to ask if your were insured in 2014. If one has not, one will be expected to pay the penalty. If one buys a policy either through an exchange or direct from an insurer or agent by the close of the open enrollment period on 3/31/2014, one will be in a position of responding to the IRS with an affirmative answer.

Of course delaying the purchase till 3/31/2014 is not going to mean a darn thing if one becomes sick or injured prior to the effective date of the policy.

The Illinois BCBS site is very unstable. It was hit or miss.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,159,825 times
Quote:
Interesting...It's my understanding that all individual healthcare plans that are non ACA complaint will be terminated on 12/31/2013. For your own sake, please verify.

Many posting here, there, everywhere tend to compare prices ignoring the benefits and in doing so are comparing apples to oranges.

The cheapest pre ACA sub prime policies tend to have high deductibles, low lifetime caps and plenty of exclusions.
That is true. Many are just seeing the costs going up and worried about that rather than the fact that there is no such thing as a pre-existing condition.

However, the issue is if you make more the medicaid cap in your state, you will need to pay for the insurance whether you have the money to do so or not. For Arizona it is a little over $11K a year.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The ACA requires you to be insured whether you have a job or not... losing a job requires you to be insured the day after losing your job... how many days can you be uninsured without being penalized?
I DK. How many days does one want to be 100% responsible for any and all accidents or health issues? Unemployment is tough enough without this burden, too.

Any system can be gamed.

Some people who choose to remain uninsured and intend to not pay a penalty will respond "yes" when asked on their 2015 return if they were insured in 2014. Will the IRS cross reference every return with a database of insured or randomly pick X %?

Some will purchase healthcare policies and stop paying after the first month's premium.

Are those who refuse to be accountable for their own healthcare risks more likely to commit tax fraud? We'll have to wait and see.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Why are you quoting my post and the reply has nothing to do with mandates and entitlements which was what my post was about...
Oh evil....
My point was and remains that we all pay when people choose not be uninsured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies