Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,566,280 times

Advertisements

Consider the source.

I defy you to find a single year since 1998 where the House passed all 13 Appropriation Bills.

This is the ONLY credible source:
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 1998 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 1999 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2000 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2001 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2002 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2003 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2004 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2005 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2006 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2007 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2008 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2009 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2010 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2011 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2012 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2013 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2014 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,739,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Govt. should not fund the arts, people who like the arts should fund the arts.

The Bush tax cuts led to record govt. revenues BTW. Obama wants four wars, he killed healthcare, killed the 40 hour work week, wrecked the economy, and has created the biggest income gap between wealthy and everyone else since the damage that followed fellow fascist Woodrow Wilson.

Bush was an average American President, but he sure does look exceptional compared to our nation's very worst President: Obama.
Amen, and I'm not even going to bother reading the remainder of the thread. This post explains things very well.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,319,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It is all they got
It's not that, it's that you sit here complaining about a guy who left 5 years ago. The problem he left was smaller than what Carter left Reagan.
Reagan in four years had the economy growing at over 4%, meanwhile the current zero in office is growing unemployment as people stop trying to work, has record breaking people on food stamps and government assistance.
He also created more debt in his administration at this point than all the Presidents did before him combined.

I considered Bush a 50% President which to me is a failure.
This President makes Bush look good and that is sad don't you think.

Bush is gone, we have to still deal with the daily mess that is Obama.
You can go home to bed and dream of the Bush years if you wish, but the concerned people today are more concerned IMO with the nightmare we live every day which is Obama.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The public portion of the National Debt came from Congress spending more than their revenues. This is basic accounting.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,905,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
While I'm no fan of Bush, he is no longer president & he can do what he likes in his free time. I'm not going to sink to the level of conservatives & insult him on a personal level.
I agree with this. I hope Bush is having an enjoyable retirement. I remember how much people hated him and really I didn't think he deserved it at the time and I don't think it is necessary to keep trying to vilify him.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,025,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The Bush tax cuts led to record govt. revenues BTW.

Actually 2000 was the all time record for revenue as a percentage of GDP.
Historical Source of Revenue as Share of GDP

This was likely a result of the tail of the dot com bubble.

Revenue as a percentage of GDP declined 2001-4 and then picked up, fueled by the housing bubble.

Game over in 2008, despite there being 2 years remaining on the cuts.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actually 2000 was the all time record for revenue as a percentage of GDP.
Historical Source of Revenue as Share of GDP

This was likely a result of the tail of the dot com bubble.

Revenue as a percentage of GDP declined 2001-4 and then picked up, fueled by the housing bubble.

Game over in 2008, despite there being 2 years remaining on the cuts.
Actually, the revenue increase was the result of the massive retroactive tax increase imposed by the Democrat controlled Congress in 1993, which is one of the reasons Democrats lost big in 1994.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,229,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It is not 2006 .Bush is not president
You missed the very obvious point, but I'll do you a favor and explain it to you like your a five year old...

Bush cut EDUCATION...deeply.

One of the cuts was to defund the arts in education even thoug it has been proven throughout history how important art programs are in education. (Even the Médicis in the 16th century knew that)

Now Bush is finding the benefits of art for his personal pleasure and life, but he deprived others (kids) of the same benefit at an age when it is probably most important.

He stole something from them to fund his TWO WARS and TAX CUTS for his base...THE HAVES (his words).

These cuts to education have had a domino affect and these affcts are STILL being felt. (the operative word being "still").

It is just a relevant today as it was when he inflicted the injury. Sorry, no erasing the Bush years...they're indelible.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM

23,797 posts, read 24,253,796 times
Seven years after the fact and you're STILL complaining about Bush?

Wow.

I get it. You're ticked off at government in general, because the administration sucks balls and couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, but you must save face because you've been praising Obama since his keynote way back when, so you have to lash out the only way you know how - attack Bush.

The Obama administration may be as transparent as brick wall, but you we can see right through.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM

68,418 posts, read 54,782,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
NEA funding peaked in 2010 at about $150m. Defense budget is $500b. At least the arts can make us happy.

Correction: funding was much higher in the early 90s when accounting for inflation.
Hey, I'm for the arts, it's useless wars I oppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies