Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,131,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Dogs are good for lots of reasons. But that shouldn't be a blanket opening to throw an SD jacket on it an perpetuate a fraud. I'll maintain till my last days on this planet that the girl I described above a was a fraud and had zero disabilities. Her "service" dog was essentially dragged off the train by her owner, who apparently needed to run off the train to catch the next train. Her disability was being an idiot. No dog required.
I was responding to your description about it being a toy poodle and that she could quite obviously see just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,881,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
It would appear that he legally has the right to have his dog with him. The article is certainly not real clear there but it sort of implies it. It appears the owner realizes he over reacted.
At least the owner isnt Politically Correct!! (Too much of that crap now)

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Actually, fighting a war in Iraq had nothing to do with protecting the freedom of that business owner or anybody else in the United States.

Still he was unlawfully discriminated against and the owner has already apologized. He should consider for suing for damages. On the other hand, even a legitimate service animal is subject to reasonable standards of behavior, and if the dog ate off the man's plate in a restaurant I'm siding with the owner.
I go along with this post to the extent that the plate issue is being overblown but understood as repulsing to some.

The caveat to all of this is the accepted norm of geographical areas. I've been in many countries where pub meals with dogs present and rubber boots with horsecrap on them is the norm.

The eating off the plate thing might upset some but aren't the plates washed before re-using them? How would this be any different than say a person with a terrible cold sore on their lip eating off that very plate?

Hell, I'll share a plate with a dog before sharing it after a washing with some of the people I've seen eating in restaurants.

Much fuss over nothing.

Vet accepting apology and moving on would put him on the higher road.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This apparently is starting to be a problem for the airlines, according to relatives in that industry. I guess the service dogs fly for free(?), thus avoiding the ticket charges.
It's not so much that they fly for free (though I'd have to be an idiot to think that doesn't figure in somewhere) but what constitutes a "service animal".
Under current regulations a mini horse can be classified a "service animal". Then you have the people who're obviously taking advantage of the lack of actual regulation.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If they charge for extra bags, a coke, a service dog isn't seen as any different. Soon the lavatory will have a coin slot.
Already in place on one airline.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I know the law says not, but service dogs need to be licensed. People can't just slap a handicapped tag on their car and say it is one anymore because people abused it. Same should be true here. They need to be regulated because right now too many "service dogs" are not service dogs but pets. Supposedly comfort and therapy dogs aren't allowed, but all the person needs to do is not call it one of those. You don't even have to put one if those little jackets on them. Eventually, people will get frustrated enough that the laws and regulations will come.
You raise a good point, maybe it's time to link the animals to handicap plates? You at LEAST have to qualify for a placard and have one?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,592 times
He should have just quietly called the Health Department and Animal Control.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I know people abuse the dog and therapy pet situation, there have been plenty of stories and examples.

As far as service dogs go, I understand seeing eye dogs, they are the standard by which all other service dogs will be judged by most people and rightly so IMO. It's that level of service, the kind that lets someone function outside and be mobile in a very physical sense, that elevate service dogs to a special place.

Sadly we have too many dogs (an other animals) that people try to pass off as special when they are really just pets with some sort of title.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 AM

The best outcome for this situation already occurred which was the restaurant owner and the vet got together and worked it out.
End of story, proper conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies