Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,193,366 times

Advertisements

US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq (broken link)
Matthis Chiroux was honorably discharged last year, and placed in the Individual Ready Reserves (IRR), a pool of former soldiers who can be "reactivated" in a national emergency or war. Chiroux served five years in the army, with tours in Afghanistan, Japan, Germany and the Philippines.
Now he is being called up again, and refuses to go. Chiroux's father calls the IRR a "backdoor draft."
There is an Exemption program, but I don't think this is what Chiroux is suggesting.
I am of two minds about this. When someone considers signing on with the military, it is up to that person to think long and hard about this decision--and make it an informed decision, which includes any fine print concerning an 8-year mandatory service obligation.
OTOH
I've heard stories about what can go on in recruiting. Those guys were hanging around my younger son's high school all the time, chatting up 16-17 year olds.
Chiroux has already served, and served honorably. He cannot in *good* conscience take part in what is going on there, so he is making a stand.
What is going to happen to Chiroux?
What should happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM

540 posts, read 966,617 times
Here is a copy of the enlistment document. It really isn't "fine print." If one even glances at the document that they are signing, they will clearly see their active duty and reserve commitment.
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...rms/dd0004.pdf

Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,006,989 times
I applaud him. He should receive a medal, and Bush/Cheney and Co. should be charged with war crimes. More soldiers should protest this sham of a war. Its a shame our brave soldiers are used as cannon fodder by Bush and Cheney (Cheney,who received silver-spoon deferments and Bush's cake appointment to National Guard unit that didn't go to war...and Bush even shirked his duty there).

Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,412,143 times
Afghan & the PI are enough to give him PTSD.
Would you knowingly and willfully return to a war zone after you were discharged?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,786,747 times
The man signed a contract. Period. Backdoor draft? Hah, give me a break. He signed a contract, pure and simple. What should be his future? Definitely not in any branch of the armed forces. If he got a bonus for a specified amount of time per the contract, he should have to relinquish whatever portion he will not be entitled to after he is given at a minimum of an administrative discharge, second only to a BCD, court-martialed for dereliction of duty, reduced in rank, tossed out, and forfeit any and all benefits he may have incurred. To paraphrase something I've heard, "If you can't do the time, don't sign the line."

Now the next question is, was he discharged, or simply released from active duty, to return or go to a reserve status to complete his obligation? If he was discharged, he has/had no further obligation; if he was released from active duty, assigned to a reserve status, well, now, that's a whole different scenario. And to answer chielgirl, I seriously doubt anyone would return to a war zone after being discharged. Even I would not do that, willingly.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,692,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq (broken link)
Matthis Chiroux was honorably discharged last year, and placed in the Individual Ready Reserves (IRR), a pool of former soldiers who can be "reactivated" in a national emergency or war. Chiroux served five years in the army, with tours in Afghanistan, Japan, Germany and the Philippines.
Now he is being called up again, and refuses to go. Chiroux's father calls the IRR a "backdoor draft."
There is an Exemption program, but I don't think this is what Chiroux is suggesting.
I am of two minds about this. When someone considers signing on with the military, it is up to that person to think long and hard about this decision--and make it an informed decision, which includes any fine print concerning an 8-year mandatory service obligation.
OTOH
I've heard stories about what can go on in recruiting. Those guys were hanging around my younger son's high school all the time, chatting up 16-17 year olds.
Chiroux has already served, and served honorably. He cannot in *good* conscience take part in what is going on there, so he is making a stand.
What is going to happen to Chiroux?
What should happen?
Yes, recruiters do prey on kids, whenever they get the chance. No doubt about it. But if you sign up, it is your responsibility to read the fine print.

I'm all for conscientious objector status, provided (1) a superior officer orders a solider to do something immoral or if (2) there's a draft and you're morally opposed to the action. In all other cases, I have little sympathy.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,284,954 times
It's pretty simple really. The young man has two choices.

1) return to active duty and fulfill his signed contract with the government.

or

2) face charges. During war time, the penalty can be "Death".

traitor

Main Entry: trai·tor
Pronunciation: \ˈtrā-tər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English traytour, from Anglo-French traitre, from Latin traditor, from tradere to hand over, deliver, betray, from trans-, tra- trans- + dare to give — more at date
Date: 13th century
1 : one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty
2 : one who commits treason

He'll have plenty of time to make his statement, once he gets out of the service. Right now, he's not out. He's just catagorized as something that is different then Active Duty. He committed to 8 years, has done 5. He's still under contract and it's not going to be taken care of with a couple of lawyers arguing over more time or money.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:28 AM

439 posts, read 1,236,790 times
First i wouldnt say he is a traitor, he has been deployed, so thats harsh. I will say you sign up for a TOTAL of eight years as everyone has said. When i signed up they told me a MEPS 4-5 times this is total of eight years. He should show up and go, it may stink but he signed the contract.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,101,758 times
This brings up a point that is being missed. In order to try to do this war on the cheap, we bring people in, then basically lay them off until we want them again instead of keeping them on active duty and paying them. Now he has been out of the service, with no connection, no training, no benefits, nothing and when we need a body we demand that he just give up everything and go. He is obligated by law, but we do a disservice to the people on that particular program.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:19 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
This brings up a point that is being missed. In order to try to do this war on the cheap, we bring people in, then basically lay them off until we want them again instead of keeping them on active duty and paying them. Now he has been out of the service, with no connection, no training, no benefits, nothing and when we need a body we demand that he just give up everything and go. He is obligated by law, but we do a disservice to the people on that particular program.
Not necessarily. Whether he is paid or not, receives training or not, gets bennies or not depends on whether he is in active drill status or IRR (Individual Ready Reserve). If he is in active drill status, he plays in his branch once a month - a weekend, usually, being paid a full day's pay for each four-hour period of "training" or attendance, gets free medical and dental, gets access to the base exchange and/or commissary and the gas station - and also performs a minimum of 12 days active duty training at a place where he can garner the needed training to keep his skills sharp. Even if he is in IRR, he can still participate in a limited manner by doing correspondence courses to get "points" that will accumulate toward a possible future retirement from the reserve side of the house.

There is more, a whole lot more to the reserves than what appears on the surface. You would do well to look a little deeper to be able to effectively criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies