Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,009,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This guy made a comittment, read and signed a contract. Now he wants out. I don't blame him. That's why I would never join the military voluntarily....I'd be a crappy soldier. I won't fight for Exxon or the rest of the American corporate machine.

I agree 1000%. He was probably another young guy hoodwinked by some military recruiters promising him "adventure" and that he'd get to "see the world...blah blah blah." The truth is he ended up having to put his life on the line for big business and for elitist politicians who weren't willing to serve themselves and whose silver-spoon children aren't in the service. You would think that if this war was such a great idea, then Jenna Bush would be in Iraq rather than having ritzy weddings at the Crawford ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:08 PM

439 posts, read 1,237,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Bush was in the guard? Well...technically, but we know what a joke that "service" was...

EXCUSE ME! Do you hve a problem with the National Guard? Please tell us why it is a joke, I am VERY intrested in hearing this

Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
EXCUSE ME! Do you hve a problem with the National Guard? Please tell us why it is a joke, I am VERY intrested in hearing this
The "joke" I'm referring to is not the National Guard itself, but Bush's no-show Guard service. And the fact that he was assigned to that Guard unit to avoid going to war.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,296,318 times
Quote:
I agree 1000%. He was probably another young guy hoodwinked by some military recruiters promising him "adventure" and that he'd get to "see the world...blah blah blah." The truth is he ended up having to put his life on the line for big business and for elitist politicians who weren't willing to serve themselves and whose silver-spoon children aren't in the service. You would think that if this war was such a great idea, then Jenna Bush would be in Iraq rather than having ritzy weddings at the Crawford ranch.
Hoodwinked with a promise? I really don't think so. He knew what he was getting into. Are you telling us that he voluntairly joined an armed service and didn't think he might go to war? Wow, that would be stupid, wouldn't it.

You seem like the type of person that doesn't relish the idea of living in a Free Country. I didn't see your claim to the amount of time you've done in the service. You mentioned, to smart to join. Oh, too smart to want a free country also? You seem to want your freedom of speech, but don't care to defend it to all foreign and domestic. You want somebody else to do that for you so you can set back and complain about how bad of job they are doing.

Do you vote? I'm afraid to get an answer because you probably do and that scares the hell out of me.

When selected for Jury duty, do you willingly go, or are you one of those that does everything they can to get out of it?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,204,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
the military is not a "job"... its a contract, I cant create a contract to build an office building and just stop in the middle, I cant sign a contract to be a consultant and send information to the opponent company, I cant just violate a mortgage agreement, or car loan, or agree to provide a service in exchange for payment, and think I can just "quit" at will.

The minute you sign a contract, it has repercussions to it, you accept those repercussions, or you dont sign.
Yes. It may be a misuse of our volunteer soldiers, but a contract is a contract.

Chiroux and others are opening up quite a dialogue, though.

If we had a real draft, and the sacrifice of our nation's youth became more equitable, perhaps we would leave Iraq sooner rather than later?

Quote:
I agree 1000%. He was probably another young guy hoodwinked by some military recruiters promising him "adventure" and that he'd get to "see the world...blah blah blah." The truth is he ended up having to put his life on the line for big business and for elitist politicians .
Yes, I certainly know what you are getting at, but if you read the link, you'll see that this guy's dad is a rocket scientist; I think Matthis Chiroux was probably fairly well-educated. (Other kids, maybe not so much.)

A question: Can anyone tell me when "Inactive" Ready Reserve become changed into "Individual" Ready Reserve? Or is "Inactive" only used for the National Guard?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,296,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Huh? I didn't realize we had troops on the border. Wait, we don't! They're fighting for our 'national security' (sure) in Iraq.
Yes. They are doing their job for our security. Be it on the bases in Germany, South America, Egypt, Kuwait, Basrha, or where ever. They are keeping our country free. Be it just maintaining presence or by being in firefights and car bombings and laying down their life.

But the smart ass answer you come back with had nothing to do with what was being discussed. But I will address it.

Put down your Archie comic book and take a look outside your door. We have troups helping with border security. You evidentally don't read much do you?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,233,240 times
I'm with ElkHunter on this. This child (cannot be called a Man in my eyes) signed a contract to joined the ARMED FORCES. If somebody doesn't want to even chance going to war, then they should not join the military. This kid needs a good lesson in personal responsibility and should be treated as any soldier who goes AWOL.

I don't care who or what the war is for - when you sign that dotted line, you've just signed yourself away. It takes real commitment to be in the military. Gawd, I'm sick of listening to people who whine about something they had to deal with because of a contract they were "tricked into signing."

This reminds of the stupid homebuyers who didn't read the contract of the crazy mortgage they signed for... and now want the rest of America to bail them out.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yes. They are doing their job for our security. Be it on the bases in Germany, South America, Egypt, Kuwait, Basrha, or where ever. They are keeping our country free. Be it just maintaining presence or by being in firefights and car bombings and laying down their life.
How is being on a base in South America, Egypt, Germany, Iraq, Korea, etc, keeping us free? I think its pretty asinine that we have bases in all these countries. How would we feel if here in America we had Korean, German, or any other countries' military bases here in our towns? I'm thinking it wouldn't be tolerated. But why do we do it?

I would think that by our troops being stationed in foreign countries rather than here in the US, we are more vulnerable to attack.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,233,240 times
Quote:
How is being on a base in South America, Egypt, Germany, Iraq, Korea, etc, keeping us free? I think its pretty asinine that we have bases in all these countries. How would we feel if here in America we had Korean, German, or any other countries' military bases here in our towns? I'm thinking it wouldn't be tolerated. But why do we do it?

I would think that by our troops being stationed in foreign countries rather than here in the US, we are more vulnerable to attack.
It may be asinine in your eyes, but it doesn't excuse the willingness of this child to sign a contract and go back on it because he doesn't "like it." I think he needs to spend time in the brig to think about his actions, or lack thereof.

If you can't make the commitment, don't sign the contract.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,886,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
Nope sorry, it isnt in a military contract that you can only go to war zones you agree with. You go where they say like it or not.
So, like I pointed out in another thread...you obey ALL orders, illegal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies