Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,972,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This apparently is starting to be a problem for the airlines, according to relatives in that industry. I guess the service dogs fly for free(?), thus avoiding the ticket charges.
If they charge for extra bags, a coke, a service dog isn't seen as any different. Soon the lavatory will have a coin slot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,287,366 times
I agree that there should be some form of ID or something, but the police confirmed his story to the owner.

Last edited by jjrose; 08-30-2013 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Incorrect information

Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,971,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This apparently is starting to be a problem for the airlines, according to relatives in that industry. I guess the service dogs fly for free(?), thus avoiding the ticket charges.
The cruise lines have been dealing with this for years.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,257,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A military vet with PTSD was refused service in a Massachusetts restaurant because the owner didn't believe he needed his service dog.

‘Get that F**king Fake Service Dog Out’: Restaurant Owner Turns Away Disabled Vet and His Dog | Video | TheBlaze.com
While it is despicable I say a private owner has the right to do so.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,231,643 times
Geez, some people are just petty.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,324,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
While it is despicable I say a private owner has the right to do so.
Nope.

Quote:
As a rule, service dogs are allowed to go anywhere that the general public goes. That includes any privately owned businesses that serve the public such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxi’s, theaters, concerts, sports facilities, etc. The American Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that businesses allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are allowed. If you enter a business and are told that you cannot bring your dog inside, you simply tell them that you have a disability and that this is your service dog. By law, a business is not allowed to ask you what your disability is, nor can they demand proof that your dog is “certified”. Each state may have additional laws that provide protection to service dogs and the people they serve.
Source

I personally think that asking for proof of certification should be allowed, but as of now, it is not. The reason I think that is that many people who simply want to bring their dogs will attempt to claim that it's a service dog. Therapy dogs are not included in the ADA, though, certified or not.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Geez, some people are just petty.
who are you referring to as being petty, the vet or the owner? I do think the owner needs to get over it and find another place to eat, on the other hand the owner should be ashamed of himself. No matter how one feels about the war or war in general, we need to support our vets 100% regardless. They give their lives up for us in many cases, and in other cases live with disabilities, some we can not see for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who are you referring to as being petty, the vet or the owner? I do think the owner needs to get over it and find another place to eat, on the other hand the owner should be ashamed of himself. No matter how one feels about the war or war in general, we need to support our vets 100% regardless. They give their lives up for us in many cases, and in other cases live with disabilities, some we can not see for the rest of their lives.

Amen friend, well said, and yes i agree with you. We need to support our vets, regardless how one feels.

So many have given up their lives for us, and how many are living with disabilitites, only to be humilated by many. We should never forget about those who put their lives in harm way, to keep us safe.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,382,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Service dogs are a tough one because there is little certification needed for one. You can buy a service dog jacket online for your dog and call it good. It also makes it harder in states where you are not allowed to ask as well.

I can understand the owner's point of view, who would want to eat in a restaurant with a dog in it, but at the same time I know how well trained real service dogs are and they are acceptable to have in any place.

Though with the owner apologizing for the overreaction, I don't see the point of this being a big enough issue to warrant a need for an article.
I would and I have.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM

15,822 posts, read 12,523,324 times
Are 'service dogs' registered somewhere? Seems more and more people are claiming their pooch (every dog is a comfort dog) as as service dogs and expecting 'rights'. It's OK for private establishments to discriminate against gays but not dogs? Replace 'gay' with 'vet' and right-wingers totally flip their positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies