Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Those track and swimming uniforms are functional, cheerleader outfits do not need to show a lot of skin to be functional, otherwise the boys cheerleader outfits would be sleeveless with tight shorts that were an inch below their butts too.

I have not seen a photo of these objectionable outfits; the one in the OP link shows long sleeves.
I'm sure if you moved to the town that has done this and registered to vote there you could have a say in the policies of the public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm sure if you moved to the town that has done this and registered to vote there you could have a say in the policies of the public schools.
What is that supposed to mean, that you have nothing constructive to add, but responded anyway?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was teaching at a middle school where a first year prinicipal tried it for a year. Notice I said a year. It was an incredible disaster. The increase in discipline problems was just mind boggling, even I wouldn't have predicted it mattered as much as it did.
My kids' middle school had a dress code, but their high school did not. Part of the issue was the HS was new in 1998 when my oldest was a freshman. They were going to do everything "fresh". By the time the youngest was a senior (2005), they were thinking about a dress code. Part of the problem, as I saw it, was that clothing for girls had gotten so s*l*u*t*t*y! It was hard to find any jeans other than super low-cut, and even skirts were low cut. Tops were cropped, so there was all this exposed skin, and not all the girls even looked good with rolls of fat hanging over the tops of their jeans/skirts. (I remember seeing some rock star on TV who looked like she was going to just pop out of her jeans onstage!) Anyway, I don't know what happened, just sayin'.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
My school allowed cheerleaders to wear them, and I don't think it was a problem, but I also have no problem with this rule. It's good to teach that there are times and places with different standards that should be respected.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What is that supposed to mean, that you have nothing constructive to add, but responded anyway?
It's pretty much what I said: if you think you have a better idea than the people who run this particular high school how they should run it and what their team uniforms should look like, feel free to move there and convince them that you know better than they do.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Is any cheerleader going to suffer irreparable emotional damage over this rule? Are they going to be droppig out in droves? It's the school's dress code for classroom attire, so what is the big deal.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default SO? Why is a Cheerleader outfit violating school dress codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
it seems that they are too short, and have sleeveless arms. So you can wear them in front of thousands of high school football fans, just not in school? Now, even I am impressed! At what, is a violation of this forum's terms of service....

Florida high schools banning cheerleaders' uniforms during school day

Florida high schools banning cheerleaders' uniforms during school day | Fox News

Like most school stupidity these days, it goes back to the big outcry in the 90s for "zero tolerance."

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM

176 posts, read 521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like most school stupidity these days, it goes back to the big outcry in the 90s for "zero tolerance."
I've visited many school campuses as an adult while accompanying my high schoolers to activities. I can say that some students in 2010s will push the limits beyond what is reasonable, which is why dress codes have come back into place. Here are the entire rules for the OPs school:

Quote:
Safe and appropriate footwear must be worn. Inappropriate footwear includes, but is not limited
to, roller skates, skate shoes, and bedroom slippers.
Further Clarification/Other Requirements:
A. Form fitting leotard/spandex type clothing (including sport bras) is not allowed unless
proper outer garments cover it.
B. See through or mesh fabric clothing may only be worn over clothing meeting
requirements.
C. Clothing must be appropriate size, with the waist of the garment worn at the student’s
waist.
D. Clothing not properly buttoned, zipped, fastened, or with inappropriate holes or tears shall
not be worn.
E. Clothing and footwear traditionally designed as undergarments or sleepwear shall not be
worn as outer garments.
F. Sunglasses may not be worn inside unless a parent provides a doctor’s note to the school.
G. Bandanas or sweatbands are not allowed to be visible on school grounds during the
regular school hours.
H. Hats or other head coverings may be worn during outside P.E. activities and may not be
worn during any portion of the regular school day without the expressed permission of
the principal.
I. If the school has a mandatory school uniform policy, the student must adhere to those
requirements.
That school has rules for all the students, which apply to both males and females, and to sports kids and cheerleaders and wiz kids and slackers. Everyone is treated equally.

Why the need for rules? Because for example other students should not have to stare at the backside of a boy's boxers because his pants are hanging below his butt, which is what happens nowadays without a dress code.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It makes no difference what the school chooses to do . None.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Our football player, basketball, track, baseball, all wore their jerseys on game day.
Your school must not have had a lot of spirit and pride.
It has nothing to do with spirit and pride. It has to do with the dress code. When you allow some to go without the dress code you are condoning superiority. And with superiority comes bullies and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies