Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
You don't know squat. Just throwing out trash talk without a clue.

Wearing "jerseys" doesn't address the question of a dress code for skimpily clad cheerleaders.

Nice try,...no cigar.

Going to make it personal, are you?
I wasn't addressing skimpy clothes. You are not rational when you are off your meds.
I address the assumption that he didn't see football players wearing their uniforms to school.
I guess the volleyball shorts have been banned too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well then, these "costumes" show too much skin.

It should not matter if they are costumes or not, if they are inappropriate, then they are inappropriate. It's not like the cheerleader outfits must be sleeveless to be functional. We are not talking about swim or gymnastics teams here. I could understand if a school decided the students could not wear swimsuits or gymnastics outfits to class.

I am in agreement. My point is that as a costume it may or may not violate the dress code of the school. When I was in school, we could not wear jeans and had to wear a suit and tie on Tuesday to attend chapel.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Stupid question. The members of the track and swimming teams probably can't wear their uniforms to class, either.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,226,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How about the swim team or women's gymnastics?
Never have seen either worn to class......

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,226,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Going to make it personal, are you?
I wasn't addressing skimpy clothes. You are not rational when you are off your meds.
I address the assumption that he didn't see football players wearing their uniforms to school.
I guess the volleyball shorts have been banned too?
You weren't "addressing skimpy clothes"? Maybe you should read the link in post #1 before you completely make an ass of yourself.

If ANY attire violates school dress code, then it should not be allowed.

How's that,....or do I need to write more slowly so that you can comprehend?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
I don't ever remember seeing a band member or football player wearing their uniforms to school before the Friday night contest, so why exempt cheerleaders because "it has always been done that way". Sometimes cheerleaders' skimpy attire is a distraction, and if it violates the dress code it should be banned. Rules should be applied equally or not at all.
True, the football team and band either wear just their jerseys, team/band t-shirt, team/band polo shirt, or they dress up such as wearing a dress shirt & tie. I am a huge fan of the dressing up. The less hypocritical answer though is to make cheerleading outfits fit in the dress code, in some schools those things have practically become obscene - just saying.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes, it is a costume, but I remember cheerleaders wearing their "costumes" to school, to generate school spirit, doing cheers in the hallways and getting their schoolmates all cheering and ready for the football game that evening. It was more than just CHEER LEADING, it was school spirit, getting people together, getting interest in the sports teams, etc.
When I was in high school, the cheerleader's skirts were rather modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How about the swim team or women's gymnastics?
Between my two kids, they did both, and on meet day they usually wore their warm-ups or a dress, sometimes a team T-shirt or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
True, the football team and band either wear just their jerseys, team/band t-shirt, team/band polo shirt, or they dress up such as wearing a dress shirt & tie. I am a huge fan of the dressing up. The less hypocritical answer though is to make cheerleading outfits fit in the dress code, in some schools those things have practically become obscene - just saying.
I like the dressing up, too. When my oldest did HS gymnastics this was often the rule. The attire got looser by the time my younger was a senior.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-28-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Never knew a high school that didn't have a written dress code.

I think you are full of sheep dip.
I was teaching at a middle school where a first year prinicipal tried it for a year. Notice I said a year. It was an incredible disaster. The increase in discipline problems was just mind boggling, even I wouldn't have predicted it mattered as much as it did.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Stupid question. The members of the track and swimming teams probably can't wear their uniforms to class, either.
Those track and swimming uniforms are functional, cheerleader outfits do not need to show a lot of skin to be functional, otherwise the boys cheerleader outfits would be sleeveless with tight shorts that were an inch below their butts too.

I have not seen a photo of these objectionable outfits; the one in the OP link shows long sleeves.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The less hypocritical answer though is to make cheerleading outfits fit in the dress code, in some schools those things have practically become obscene - just saying.
I'm sure if you moved to the town that has done this and registered to vote there you could have a say in the policies of the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies