Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Point is we should fire the DA's that overlooked the facts of the case and went to trial. The DA's in Florida have made these mistakes in several cases costing the state millions.
And as much as I hate it, the citizens of Florida are the one who decided he needed to be tried.
The state should reimburse him for their very poor decision.

Then they should fire that witch who filed the trumped up charges.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I got the full story on NPR this morning.

It's ONLY reimbursement for things like expert witnesses, travel expenses, filing costs etc.

It is NOT covering legal fees, so the title of the thread is garbage.

The state generally only pays a tiny amount in cases like this, so collecting 200-300k is just not going to happen.

Zimmermans 2 lawyers legal fees are ADDITIONALLY >1.5million

The money would go to zimmermans defense fund. Unless he gets some big $$$ from some of the news networks there isn't going to be $$$ to pay most of those amounts.

Basically, this money is predominantly going to cover legal costs....it won't be much $$$ and people can split hairs about whom it "goes too" but it's ultimately going to his lawyers.
Thanks man. That's what I figured. I knew that the guy couldn't possibly walk off with some windfall considering that he never paid for anything to begin with. His lawsuit is more or less on behalf of the people he owes.

The guy is broke...and he'll likely be broke for a long time regardless of the success of a lawsuit. ..which he should win by the way.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't CARE who paid...I'm asking a question.

He wants to be reimbursed, so it's fair to ask seeing as how he didn't really pay for anything out of his pocket.
No actually it's pretty irrelevant. As long as he did not mislead folks while soliciting donations he is free to spend the money as he sees fit. I believe some if the money collected was used for living and security expenses. If he is asking for reimbursement it would imply that he made the outlay of money irrespective of its source.

If his dad gave him the money for legal fees he is under no obligation to return the money to his dad if he is reimbursed. Although this is not a particurly moral thing to do.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks man. That's what I figured. I knew that the guy couldn't possibly walk off with some windfall considering that he never paid for anything to begin with. His lawsuit is more or less on behalf of the people he owes.

The guy is broke...and he'll likely be broke for a long time regardless of the success of a lawsuit. ..which he should win by the way.
Well who ever argued he was getting a windfall? That will come when he settles with NBC and becomes a spokesman for the NRA/Self-Defense folks.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And as much as I hate it, the citizens of Florida are the one who decided he needed to be tried.
The state should reimburse him for their very poor decision.

Then they should fire that witch who filed the trumped up charges.
Yup the Gov. should never have appointed a special prosecutor in the 1st place. This is what happens when folks don't lead but cave to the mob. Now the taxpayers will have to pay. Remember there is also a state employee suing for $5M. This thing can easily cost the state/county $10M+

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
George Zimmerman should sue the news networks for broadcasting false or at the very least misleading information.
I am referring to a photograph of Martin at age ten in a white hoodie that has been seen on every TV network especially the major news networks. Actually, Martin was over six foot, about 180 pounds and was several years older at the time of his death. This can easily be seen in the one video of Martin in a store prior to the incident where he towers over the store clerk. Yet TV constantly broadcasts this innocent looking ten year old which misleads the public. Martin was also suspended from his school where he was caught selling drugs. Martin also had a history of violent confrontations at his school.

George Zimmerman should be able to sue the state of Florida, all the TV networks involved, the prosecutors who brought false charges, and the NAACP. I think that President Obama and attorney general Eric Holder should be held liable for their comments and publicly announcing they would seek other charges by which to pursue Mr. Zimmerman. Sadly, the state of Florida continues to harass Mrs. Zimmerman.

I would be proud to have George Zimmerman and his family as my neighbors.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:

Yeah, he's got to be at least 1.5mil in the hole right now, probably closer to 2mil because despite all the handwringing he didn't collect that much in donations on-line.

The lawsuit on his behalf may be sufficient to cover those amounts but then that leaves him broke and unhireable. It's unlikely he is going to be retiring to a tropical paradise from this DEPENDING on how the networks react financially.

The other wildcard is a civil suit by TM's family but since they already collected big $$$ from the homeowners association....and a civil suit will drag TM through the mud....it may never happen. They may just sit back until Zimmerman collects from the networks, see if he is worth more than a nickle and then decide whether it's worth 100k in legal fees for nothing.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, he's got to be at least 1.5mil in the hole right now, probably closer to 2mil because despite all the handwringing he didn't collect that much in donations on-line.

The lawsuit on his behalf may be sufficient to cover those amounts but then that leaves him broke and unhireable. It's unlikely he is going to be retiring to a tropical paradise from this DEPENDING on how the networks react financially.

The other wildcard is a civil suit by TM's family but since they already collected big $$$ from the homeowners association....and a civil suit will drag TM through the mud....it may never happen. They may just sit back until Zimmerman collects from the networks, see if he is worth more than a nickle and then decide whether it's worth 100k in legal fees for nothing.

The Martins won't sue. Between the settlement and donations, they've already collected $7 million:

BUSINESS EXCHANGE: How to Make a Fashion Statement for Trayvon | Washington Informer | African American newspaper, Washington D.C.

Suing Zimmerman would bring out a lot of info that they don't want exposed. And open them up to being responsible for his costs to defend their suit, plus Zimmerman could countersue. Most of the lies originated from the Martin family attorney and their PR guy. The attorneys and PR guy led the rally where the Black Panthers were handing out the sheets offering a reward for Zimmerman dead or alive, and those reward sheets contained the info from the Martin PR guy.

If the Martins leave Zimmerman alone, I think he will leave them alone. But if they sue, I think he will also sue them.

I predict he will sue Crump, Parks and Julison either way.

ETA: Shellie Zimmerman agreed to a misdemeanor plea deal today and will be on probation for one year:
Shellie Zimmerman plea: George Zimmerman's wife to get probation in plea deal - OrlandoSentinel.com

That wraps up the criminal procedures for them. Wonder when Corey will charge Rachel Jeantel for her perjury?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
how were anyone who donated "suckers" ?
Because they were donating for his defense fund and yet he used that money to pay off other bills and go on spending sprees. That's why those who donate to him are suckers.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The Martins won't sue. Between the settlement and donations, they've already collected $7 million:

BUSINESS EXCHANGE: How to Make a Fashion Statement for Trayvon | Washington Informer | African American newspaper, Washington D.C.

Suing Zimmerman would bring out a lot of info that they don't want exposed. And open them up to being responsible for his costs to defend their suit, plus Zimmerman could countersue. Most of the lies originated from the Martin family attorney and their PR guy. The attorneys and PR guy led the rally where the Black Panthers were handing out the sheets offering a reward for Zimmerman dead or alive, and those reward sheets contained the info from the Martin PR guy.

If the Martins leave Zimmerman alone, I think he will leave them alone. But if they sue, I think he will also sue them.

I predict he will sue Crump, Parks and Julison either way.

ETA: Shellie Zimmerman agreed to a misdemeanor plea deal today and will be on probation for one year:
Shellie Zimmerman plea: George Zimmerman's wife to get probation in plea deal - OrlandoSentinel.com

That wraps up the criminal procedures for them. Wonder when Corey will charge Rachel Jeantel for her perjury?
Pretty funny that when his wife needed him, he was nowhere to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies