Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Haitian is a nationality and culture...and thus, an ethnicity. See the definition of ethnicity below:

eth·nic·i·ty
eTHˈnisitē/
noun
1. the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
"the interrelationship between gender, ethnicity, and class"

Here is the definition of "ethnic," from which ethnicity/ethnic group derives:

ethnic[ eth-nik ]
adjective
1. pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.
2. referring to the origin, classification, characteristics, etc., of such groups.
3. being a member of an ethnic group, especially of a group that is a minority within a larger society: ethnic Chinese in San Francisco.
LMAO...so I'm an ethnic Arizonan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 03:02 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,052,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
And we all should be grateful to African-Americans for breaking down the many barriers so that we can come here and be successful.
I posted on this subject a while back and I think its a good idea to repost it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Anyways, here's my 2 cents.

Marcus Garvey was Jamaican and he corresponded with Booker T. Washington who was African American.

Another colleague of Garvey, was Dusé Mohamed Ali who was of Egyptian & Sudanese descent.

And for West Indians, Malcolm X's mother was from Grenada, Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture, was a major figure of the CRM and black power movement.

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture is named after Arthur Schomburg, who was of Puerto Rican (& West Indian, if memory serves me correct) descent.

Piri Thomas won acclaim for writing about his experiences as a mulato Puerto Rican dealing with racism in pre Civil Rights America.

Before Jesse Jackson made his unsuccessful Presidential bid; Shirley Chisholm, of West Indian descent, became the 1st Presidential candidate of African descent for a major party; while Barack Obama, of Kenyan ancestry, made history lo those 4 novembers ago.

Now its true that recent immigrants and their children might have different points of view & perspectives than someone of fully American slave descent, but people of African descent who were not descendants of American slaves have been at the forefront of ensuring all Americans have a shot at Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness!!

Last edited by kovert; 11-09-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 03:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You just enjoy making stuff up, don't you?

The chance that some dudes beat you up for wearing an Italian Flag pin is absolutely zero. Same for the bottle story.
"This is one of the latest examples of what authorities say is an apparent uptick nationally in bias crimes against Latinos, and immigrant advocates and community leaders say they are particularly concerned about a spate of alleged hate crimes where African-Americans were the perpetrators."
-Black vs. brown hate crimes may be spurred by bad economy | theGrio

But that never happens either.

And like I said, I wore an Italian flag, three large "brothas" asked me what it was, I told them, they said I was black and not Italian, I told them I was both and next thing I knew Tyrone throw a punch.

And also, I highly doubt Tryvon Martin was shot just for wearing a hoodie, and I have a court verdict to back me up. But go ahead, ignore reality.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I wouldn't say that the chance of him getting beat up for wearing the flag pin is remote. It's just that he got beat up by the paisans, not the bros, for being a moolie wearing their flag.

I have never taken any flack from Italians. A few Italian Americans are aggressive towards EVERYONE, not just non-whites (the fist-pumping guidos who start fights) but most never bothered me.

It's the "brothas" who don't like this "high-yellow, half breed mutt" who've given me the most grief.

But I forgot...blacks never commit hate crimes and are never racist.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
"This is one of the latest examples of what authorities say is an apparent uptick nationally in bias crimes against Latinos, and immigrant advocates and community leaders say they are particularly concerned about a spate of alleged hate crimes where African-Americans were the perpetrators."
-Black vs. brown hate crimes may be spurred by bad economy | theGrio

But that never happens either.

And like I said, I wore an Italian flag, three large "brothas" asked me what it was, I told them, they said I was black and not Italian, I told them I was both and next thing I knew Tyrone throw a punch.

And also, I highly doubt Tryvon Martin was shot just for wearing a hoodie, and I have a court verdict to back me up. But go ahead, ignore reality.
I looked at your link and I DO think it's gonna be getting a LOT worse between American Blacks and other dark skin NOT "white race" people before things settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies