Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,765,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
IT is crap! why do black people get a chip on their shoulder and say every black child needs to have the "black experience"? In other words, they need to live in filthy ghetto with drugs and violence and with parents who are absent. Is that what you want for all black children?

You need to harken back to your original words “I DON’T GET”. I interpret “I don’t get”, correct me if I am wrong, as “I don’t understand”. The absence of understanding is not synonymous with the absence of validity. For example, if you took a calculus test and fail it, obviously you “did not get it”, however, does that mean that the problems and solutions were therefore invalid, simply due to your inability to get it? Of course not, if one is sane.

Thus, instead of attempting to educate you on what you obviously do not understand, hence, ignorant of, I want to EXPOSE and question why you consider it crap, when by your own admission, “You don’t get it”? Now, the proper way to gain knowledge, for someone who does not get something, is to ASK QUESTIONS with an open mind. You failed on both accounts. You did not ask a question and your mind is obviously not open because you have already demonstrated a PREJUDGEMENT that it was and is “Crap”. This type of thinking, or prejudgment, is what has created the validity of “the black experience”. Hence, the black experience is a derivative of….white ignorance and prejudice concerning blacks, and the ramifications thereof, upon us.

Even though the "BE" is valid.....it does not override, in the instance of adoption, a child without love and care receiving love and care....regardless of the color of the parents. Thats my "blackend experience" opinion.

This is what I am going to start doing on this forum. I am going to start EXPOSING racism, whether it be racism by intent or simply by effect....because either way....blacks are impacted by it. It serves no purpose to try and enlighten people to truths when they have a vested interest in darkness. Thus, I am going to expose darkness dwellers by their arguments....as these are the people who collectively create the self fulfilling prophecies that create the "black experience".

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-31-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,056,139 times
Quote:
yeah I don't get this "black experience" crap either. You hear many a black person get up in arms when white people adopt black children because they wont have the "black experience".
No there are lots more complex reasons that it is harder when white parents afoot black kids. Everything from hair care to understanding the impact if institutional racism are all lessons that whites would need to learn in order to raise well adjusted black kids. Their experiences will be very different than those is their kids.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,056,139 times
Quote:
IT is crap! why do black people get a chip on their shoulder and say every black child needs to have the "black experience"? In other words, they need to live in filthy ghetto with drugs and violence and with parents who are absent. Is that what you want for all black children?
That wasn't my black experience. But I surely for not have a "white experience" growing up in the suburbs.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No there are lots more complex reasons that it is harder when white parents afoot black kids. Everything from hair care to understanding the impact if institutional racism are all lessons that whites would need to learn in order to raise well adjusted black kids. Their experiences will be very different than those is their kids.

I know a white couple, on my daughters team, that has adopted a black daughter and her hair is always a mess, while all the other black girls hair looks well groomed. Black hair though, is not what I call the black experience....that is something we are born with. Again....to me a child getting LOVE is the overriding factor in my opinion. I would much rather see an a black child being adopted and loved, minus the black experience, than to bounce from foster home to foster home feeling unloved and unwanted. However, that is a totally separate issue from the validity of the "black experience".

Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 10,012,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
You're telling black people to "please cease referring to each other as "brothas" and "sistas".

That's like telling white people to stop calling each other "man", "my friend", or "dude."

Or its like telling someone who lives in the country to stop saying "hep dang" or "over yonder."
I have heard plenty of white people say "man" and "friend" to non-whites. I have not heard nearly as many blacks refer to non-blacks as "brotha" or "sista".

Quote:
I don't think you are part black because if you were you would get your a-- beat any time you got around black people. I don't even like the disrespect and insanity of what you posted above (and I am fully white.)

The "black experience" is (not) a fraud. Black people are surrounded by murder, immense crime, a crack cocaine academic, extreme poverty, discrimination, abuse from police, ex.ex. While people like you attack them from every angle.
That has got to be the most racist thing I have read in awhile. Blacks are surrounded by murder, crime and crack? This has to be a joke.

Indeed...the wealthy blacks of Mount Vernon and Martha's Vineyard are "surrounded by crack and poverty." And I guess the whites of Appalachia are just "rich white suckas"

Quote:
I have lived around black people my entire life, and I know black people who live the white lifestyle. But I have never met a black person or a half black person who is as disrespectful towards black people as you are.

What the hell is "the black lifestyle"? I have news for you: plenty of blacks are not religious, don't breakdance on weekends and don't have pig feet eating parties. The black lifestyle...give me a break!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is a case study of the black experience. On one hand you say you "Don't Get" something, but notwithstanding not understanding.....you label it as "CRAP". So the black experience is, in part, being assumed to be "Crap". Its not getting the benefit of the doubt when people don't understand or when they do understand. Any claim we have is simply "Crap". Hence, living in a country dominated by non-black people who assume "Crap" because it comes from black folks.

Welcome to the Black experience.
By "crap" this poster meant "it is bullocks." And I agree.

And living in a country dominated by people with less melanin than oneself isn't enough to hold a community together. I mean, Asians live in a country dominated by non-Asians, does that mean they share the "black experience?" If you say "the minority experience", I agree. That does exist and racism is real...but there are other people in America besides blacks and whites.

Again, say it three times so you understand: THERE ARE OTHER GROUPS IN AMERICA BESIDES JUST BLACKS AND WHITES.

Why is that so hard for people to wrap their heads around? I say "I'm not black, I'm mixed" and they think I'm saying I'm white. I guess a dark-skinned South Asian saying he isn't black is also "denying his African heritage"

Yes, non-whites face racism in America. It is not as bad as some would have you believe, but it does exist. This issue is this: BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT THE ONLY NON-WHITES WHO ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AND FACE RACISM! BROWN LATINOS, ASIANS, NATIVE AMERICANS, AND MIXED RACE ALSO FACE DISCRIMINATION. AS BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ONLY HAPPENS TO BLACKS, CALLING IT "THE BLACK EXPERIENCE" IS ABSURD BECAUSE IT IS ALSO EXPERIENCED BY OTHER NON-WHITE ETHNIC GROUPS.

So, if I face racism, just as a South Asian, Latino, East Asian or Native Person does because I am mixed race, how is that "the black experience?" The minority experience? Absolutely. The person of color experience? As a person of color, I agree. But the black experience? No way.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I know a white couple, on my daughters team, that has adopted a black daughter and her hair is always a mess, while all the other black girls hair looks well groomed. Black hair though, is not what I call the black experience....that is something we are born with. Again....to me a child getting LOVE is the overriding factor in my opinion. I would much rather see an a black child being adopted and loved, minus the black experience, than to bounce from foster home to foster home feeling unloved and unwanted. However, that is a totally separate issue from the validity of the "black experience".
I agree 100%. I would even go further than that: I would rather a black child be adopted by a gay couple than a straight white couple. Why? Because as a racial minority, the black child will face racism and bigotry at some point in his/her life. That is something a gay couple will understand in ways that a straight white couple couldn't.

As for hair, that goes both ways: I saw a mixed baby with a black mother with the ugliest trying-to-be cornrows I have ever seen. Obviously the poor little boy, looking about two, didn't have the hair for that kind of braids, but his mother probably wanted him to look like his cousins or something.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,194,075 times
What the hell is "the black experience" exactly?

The experience of being black.

You're welcome.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

But, would a gay family be able to raise a black child and prepare him or her for the BS all people of color face? Or, what if a Latino family raised a black baby?

At the same time, what if two very light skinned mixed race people...think Slash from Guns and Roses and Maria Carey, adopted a Don Cheadle dark black baby. Would they really know what that baby would go through? As a mixed person, I know they wont. I understand it is easier for me than it is for blacks...I DON'T LIKE THAT THAT IS THE CASE AND IT IS UNFAIR AS HELL, but I do admit it. I never wanted to be treated better than black black people, but that is the case.

Being in a room with white guys who you casually know genuinely saying hateful things about blacks...not ghetto culture, and not joking around racist jokes, but sincerely ugly things about blacks as a whole. And having them respond with surprise when your Arab looking self gets offended and not understanding why you are so disgusted. That happened to me. So...is that a part of "the black experience?"

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
By "crap" this poster meant "it is bullocks." And I agree.

And living in a country dominated by people with less melanin than oneself isn't enough to hold a community together. I mean, Asians live in a country dominated by non-Asians, does that mean they share the "black experience?" If you say "the minority experience", I agree. That does exist and racism is real...but there are other people in America besides blacks and whites.

Again, say it three times so you understand: THERE ARE OTHER GROUPS IN AMERICA BESIDES JUST BLACKS AND WHITES.

Why is that so hard for people to wrap their heads around? I say "I'm not black, I'm mixed" and they think I'm saying I'm white. I guess a dark-skinned South Asian saying he isn't black is also "denying his African heritage"

Yes, non-whites face racism in America. It is not as bad as some would have you believe, but it does exist. This issue is this: BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT THE ONLY NON-WHITES WHO ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AND FACE RACISM! BROWN LATINOS, ASIANS, NATIVE AMERICANS, AND MIXED RACE ALSO FACE DISCRIMINATION. AS BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ONLY HAPPENS TO BLACKS, CALLING IT "THE BLACK EXPERIENCE" IS ABSURD BECAUSE IT IS ALSO EXPERIENCED BY OTHER NON-WHITE ETHNIC GROUPS.

So, if I face racism, just as a South Asian, Latino, East Asian or Native Person does because I am mixed race, how is that "the black experience?" The minority experience? Absolutely. The person of color experience? As a person of color, I agree. But the black experience? No way.
The black experience is not "one thing"....just as being "black" is not just one thing. There are many Dravidians in the Indian subcontinent who are darker than many "blacks", yet, there hair is strait and phenotype and features are different. There are Asians, on the other hand, with broad noses and fuller lips. In other words, being "black" is not one single thing, but rather a combination of things in various degrees or kind. Hence the "black experience is no different. Its not just poverty, its not just discrimination, its not just denigration.....its a combination.....like a lock.

Now....for me....as a person in his late 40's....I can meet another black person my same age and our experiences are are often the same. Both our parents or parents migrated from the South or have Southern Roots. When I was growing up, nearly everyone in my neighborhood had parents from Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas or the like. They all eight the same food, they all had pretty much the same sayings, they all pretty much had similar experiences with racism and discrimination. They all pretty much had the same beliefs, we all have the same slave master sir names, we all traced our roots to slavery, we all have our own personal experiences with racism....it was just a combination of things, in degree or kind, that existed for black people in America. That is not to suggest that other groups or races do not have their own combination of experiences that makes their experience uniquely theirs, in degree or kind. I do not for a minute assume that I have lived the "Latino" experience, the "Asian" experience, the "white" experience or that of any other group. There are of course "intersections" of experiences, but I believe every group has their own unique experiences in degree or kind, based upon how those groups are seen and treated by the larger society. For example, Asians are often stereotyped as being "smart" or people assuming they are good at math, but not many blacks are stereotyped as being smart, just like many Asians are not assumed to be able to run fast, jump high and such, Hispanics are assumed to be hard workers while blacks are assumed to be lazy. Hence, our experiences are often different based upon how the group is seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies