Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times

Advertisements

Chief Justice Roberts had no problem rewriting the Obamacare law, changing a penalty into a "tax" to declare if constitutional.

I don't see where it would be any more trouble for him to change a union between two men into a "marriage", and similarly pretending the term covers such non-marriages. And the other four Court wishful thinkers will happily fall into line.

Calif Prop 8 will be "found" unconstitutional, as will DOMA, by 5-4 votes.

Not until conservatives get appointed to the Court, who believe its role is to judge laws and longtime customs rather than rewrite them, will we see these travesties (and other such as Kelo, West Coast Hotel, and Miller) righted.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I am highly anticipating these being decided. I'm working myself into a bigger lather than I was awaiting the Arizona Immigration Law / Obamacare outcomes last year. This just seems bigger.

Re: Prop 8
Brain - Overturned in California only
Heart - Same-sex marriage legalized
Gut - Overturned in California only

Re: DOMA
Brain - Dismissed
Heart - Fully invalidated by court
Gut - Section 3 only invalidated by court
If DOMA is dismissed and no decision reached I believe the lower court (9th circuit) that ruled in favor of Windsor would stand, and the government would have to refund the taxes she paid on her inheritance. But in the future there would be more court cases challenging DOMA but not really sure where it would go from there. Obama could simply by executive order decide not to enforce DOMA, if the lower courts would be ruling it unconstitutional.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think they will leave it a state issue on recognizing what marriage is. Many thing that recognizing will change things but that is not likely in reality of life.No more than abortion has solved the issue now after all these eyars.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Re: Prop 8
Brain - Overturned in California only
Heart - Same-sex marriage legalized
Gut - Overturned in California only
The Ca-only cop-out might be a likely outcome, but I don't think it's as close to a guarantee as people seem to think. If they issue a Ca-only ruling, they'll just have to address the issue again down the road. Maybe they think that's preferable to just ending the issue once and for all, but I think there's at least a non-zero chance that they don't want to do this again in a year or two or three.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM

569 posts, read 671,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Section 2 isn't even part of the case being heard, so I doubt they will do anything in regards to it. There will be a case very soon after dropping section 3, as I know many people who will be having destination weddings, myself included.

Hopefully you will be able to! Santa Barbara is a beautiful place for weddings....

Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Not until conservatives get appointed to the Court, who believe its role is to judge laws and longtime customs rather than rewrite them, will we see these travesties (and other such as Kelo, West Coast Hotel, and Miller) righted.
The real travesty will be Scalia's snide, sarcastic, faith-based dissent that will somehow find a way to tie same-sex marriage to polygamy, incest, etc., just as you'd expect an Opus Dei acolyte to do.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
DOMA: Clearly unconstitutional, and should be struck down. The issue becomes whether marriage licenses will act more like driving licenses (doesn't matter where you get it, it's valid in all 50 states plus federal areas, and would require also striking Section 2) or like handgun carry permits (some states don't recognize other states' licenses). In the short term I predict it'll be like handgun carry permits with Section 2 intact. Most states will recognize other states' licenses, but there will be a few hold-outs that refuse to play well with others. Most importantly, licenses from any state would be recognized federally, so the IRS would have to pay back the illegal taxes they collected.

Prop 8: More complicated because it's a states' rights issue instead of federal. Still, the ONLY reasoning I've ever heard or read that defends outlawing same-sex mariage is based on religion, and the 1st amendment says the states cannot make laws that force people to abide by other people's religion.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
If you really want to be confused read what happens if SCOTUS rules there is no standing on DOMA.

it would create an absurd situation where DOMA is unconstitutional in the First and Second Circuits -- and possibly soon the Ninth Circuit -- and legal everywhere else. Administration of that result would be exceedingly hard: If you lived and married in New York, you get federal benefits and the IRS, immigration authorities, and others would treat you as married. If you lived down the highway in Maryland, you can get married, but since you're in the Fourth Circuit, where DOMA is still viable, you're strangers in the eyes of the federal government.[LEFT]
Read more: Gay Rights After SCOTUS: What If There's No 'Standing' or 'Jurisdiction'?| Gay News | Towleroad
[/LEFT]

Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No decision on DOMA or prop 8 today.
I'm guessing they'll wait until Monday so they can have the car engines running and get out of town.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Completely wishful thinking. There is absolutely no valid legal argument to uphold DOMA.
For another thread but if they strike it down by a wide margin (in other words they validate the common sense some of us think we have) then the next discussion should be why is Congress passing laws they should know are unconstitutional?

We have a government on our coast that passed an ordinance saying the Supremacy clause doesn't apply to them. That makes me think of them as nutcases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.