Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,079,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What makes you think that is a libertarian position? Are you you starting with a straw man?
I went to lp.org. Its makes it clear government's role is to help individuals defend themselves against force and fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,971,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I went to lp.org. Its makes it clear government's role is to help individuals defend themselves against force and fraud.
Can you quote the specific where you determined such so I can ascertain the original context? Quote it, then explain your interpretation.

That way, we can be clear on position here as well as what leads you to your understanding.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,794,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yes, we do need a legal system. They should not, however, spend time, money and effort to try and prevent it from happening in the first place.
I disagree with your statement in bold...

If you see fraud taking root in your neighborhood, you'd try to prevent it from spreading, right? You wouldn't just stand by and let your neighbors "learn a lesson"?

And if government is a tool that can help you to prevent it from spreading, then why not use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Can you quote the specific where you determined such so I can ascertain the original context? Quote it, then explain your interpretation.

That way, we can be clear on position here as well as what leads you to your understanding.
What is The Libertarian Party? | Libertarian Party

8,560 posts, read 11,231,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You summed it up pretty well. In other words, buyer beware.
Every citizen has an explicit right to be a dumb ass... Pursuit of happiness!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,224,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I disagree with your statement in bold...

If you see fraud taking root in your neighborhood, you'd try to prevent it from spreading, right? You wouldn't just stand by and let your neighbors "learn a lesson"?

And if government is a tool that can help you to prevent it from spreading, then why not use it?
I absolutely have a social responsibility to prevent it, and I would personally take steps to prevent fraud from happening. The government should not be involved. Government should not be used as a tool. When government is used as a tool, the programs stay in place long after the specific program is no longer needed, draining taxpayer money.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Libertarian beliefs are opposite that of authortarian beliefs.
They believe in limited state, not no state as some seem to think.

The only "free market" I encounter are the deals I make among individuals for service work.
Beyond that one to one dealing there is no "free market" whatsoever.

I can't even sell my extra eggs at Farmer's Markets anymore without having to kow tow to government regulations that kicked in last year.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,231,488 times
An interesting read from Jonah Goldberg on Libertarianism...

Quote:
Definitions vary, but broadly speaking, libertarianism is the idea that people should be as free as possible from state coercion so long as they don’t harm anyone. The job of the state is limited to fighting crime, providing for the common defense, and protecting the rights and contracts of citizens. The individual is sovereign; he is the captain of himself.
Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution | National Review Online
Quote:
...no ideal libertarian state has ever existed outside a table for one. And no such state will ever exist. But here’s an important caveat: No ideal state of any other kind will be created either. America’s great, but it ain’t perfect.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
An interesting read from Jonah Goldberg on Libertarianism...

Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution | National Review Online
This is what I don't understand, libertarians get upset whenever government tries to regulate an industry, so why is regulating contracts ok, but nothing else?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,794,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...Government should not be used as a tool...
Absolutely government should be used as a tool. It's there for exactly that reason. Should it be used by one segment of society against another? No, of course not.

However, ALL of society has an interest in preventing fraud. If all of society benefits and only a criminal element suffers, then the government should used for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies