Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,340,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, you've provided vague positions you claim some vague people are for.
No, those positions weren't vague. Bankruptcy laws, government controlling the money of that nation, licensing laws for doctors, lawyers, and so many professions, a court system provided by the government in which government officials decide who wins or loses, are all areas which give the government massive power and libertarians aren't opposed to any of it.

There are many more examples.

Again what I see from libertarians is support for many areas of massive centralized government power, and yet if some politician says hey lets use some of that power to help out poor people, just like conservatives, libertarians start whining about government tyranny. It is actually pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No, those positions weren't vague. Bankruptcy laws, government controlling the money of that nation, licensing laws for doctors, lawyers, and so many professions, a court system provided by the government in which government officials decide who wins or loses, are all areas which give the government massive power and libertarians aren't opposed to any of it.
How many times does it need explained to you that Libertarians are not against all laws? How many times does it need explained to you that not every single person that believe's in something in general will believe the same as everyone else 100%?

Once again, and I imagine it will still not sink in this time either, you are placing the ideas of anarchists onto Libertarians and then slamming something you obviously do not understand with your strawman.

Libertarians understand that there are legitimate roles for the government.

Quote:
There are many more examples.

Again what I see from libertarians is support for many areas of massive centralized government power, and yet if some politician says hey lets use some of that power to help out poor people, just like conservatives, libertarians start whining about government tyranny. It is actually pathetic.
People claim to see UFO's also.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,079,410 times
Quote:
I don't care what you addressed. You didn't address my specific claims. So when libertarian scream about government control and how it destroys freedom and I point out huge areas of government control in which libertarians are silent and supportive of that government power, shouldn't libertarians stop pretending?

Just say as libertarians we are for a lot of areas of massive government power and control but not for other areas.

Instead conservatives and libertarians do this thing where they pretend that in fact the areas where they support massive government control are natural and thus don't really represent repressive state force.

But anything that helps poor people, well thats tyranny.

Again, libertarians are not against government, but want minimal government. That means no nanny state laws such as:

Telling businesses who they can and cannot hire.
Telling businesses what they can and cannot sell, such as limiting the size of a soda.
Telling businesses they cannot allow smoking on their premises when a sign stating that it's allowed should suffice.
Telling people who they can and cannot marry regardless of their stance on the subject.
Telling a woman what she can or can't do with their body regardless of their stance on the subject.
Continuing the BS war on drugs which has harmed more people than it has helped and pandering to the special interests and lobbyists who want to continue with prohibition.

And libertarians are not against helping the poor by any means. We just don't support continuing to enable those who don't want to get off of their a** and try to make something of themselves. In other words, you also have to want to help yourself as well. Those that do, I'm all for helping them get a leg up. In the instance of the woman who had 15 kids from numerous fathers....well... not so much, because quite frankly, she isn't doing anything to help herself, her kids, or to change her lifestyle in order to better herself. And to be fair, we also don't support picking and choosing which businesses to bail out, because they made horrible business decisions or the continued nation building, and meddling in the affairs of other nations.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Again, libertarians are not against government, but want minimal government. That means no nanny state laws such as:

Telling businesses who they can and cannot hire.
Telling businesses what they can and cannot sell, such as limiting the size of a soda.
Telling businesses they cannot allow smoking on their premises when a sign stating that it's allowed should suffice.
Telling people who they can and cannot marry regardless of their stance on the subject.
Telling a woman what she can or can't do with their body regardless of their stance on the subject.
Continuing the BS war on drugs which has harmed more people than it has helped and pandering to the special interests and lobbyists who want to continue with prohibition.

And libertarians are not against helping the poor by any means. We just don't support continuing to enable those who don't want to get off of their a** and try to make something of themselves. In other words, you also have to want to help yourself as well. Those that do, I'm all for helping them get a leg up. In the instance of the woman who had 15 kids from numerous fathers....well... not so much, because quite frankly, she isn't doing anything to help herself, her kids, or to change her lifestyle in order to better herself. And to be fair, we also don't support picking and choosing which businesses to bail out, because they made horrible business decisions or the continued nation building, and meddling in the affairs of other nations.
Libertarians don't want minimal government. They want minimal government in certain areas, but massive government power in other areas. This is closer to the truth. libertarians don't believe what they claim to believe.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How many times does it need explained to you that Libertarians are not against all laws? How many times does it need explained to you that not every single person that believe's in something in general will believe the same as everyone else 100%?

Once again, and I imagine it will still not sink in this time either, you are placing the ideas of anarchists onto Libertarians and then slamming something you obviously do not understand with your strawman.

Libertarians understand that there are legitimate roles for the government.

People claim to see UFO's also.
Where have I said to be a real libertarian one has to be against all laws? No where, what I am saying is that libertarians in many areas support massive government power and control.
Which means the they don't believe in minimal government, they believe in minimal government in some areas, usually those areas that attempt to help poor people, or minorities, and they believe in massive government power in many other areas

Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,405,143 times
Quote:
Libertarians don't want minimal government. They want minimal government in certain areas, but massive government power in other areas. This is closer to the truth. libertarians don't believe what they claim to believe.
Examples?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,105,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Time out, shouldn't be your responsibility to know the type of person, or company you are dealing with? Why should the government step in because you didn't do the due diligence on the character of the person you are negotiating with.
since the legal system is part of the government, that is the part that should step in when required. letsw say you contract with me to sell and deliver me a ford fusion, i pay you for said ford fusion at the contracted price, but you then turn around and deliver me a toyota camry. that is an illegal act according to the contract, thus i have a few options;

option 1, i accept the camry and go on with life.

option 2, i can demand that you take back the camry and deliver the fusion

option 3, i can demand that you return my money thus negating the contract

if i accept option 1, there is no need to go further. if on the other hand i take options 2 or 3, and we cant come to a proper settlement, then i can take you to court thus involving the government in our dispute. the government then becomes a third party in the dispute to mediate said dispute.

as i have always said, there is a proper place for government in our lives, but government needs to be responsible, not overbearing.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,657,411 times
Quote:
Where have I said to be a real libertarian one has to be against all laws? No where, what I am saying is that libertarians in many areas support massive government power and control.
You are most certainly the utmost expert on your opinion. I can not debate your opinion. So far all you have provided is your opinion.

Quote:
Which means the they don't believe in minimal government, they believe in minimal government in some areas, usually those areas that attempt to help poor people, or minorities, and they believe in massive government power in many other areas
My opinion is that your opinion is based upon nothing more than bigotry against those you do not understand.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you need to educate yourself more about Libertarianism, instead of posting ASSumptions and untruths. Just because you continue repeat a lie over and over does not make it true.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Ahhh, though you conveniently left out our stance on defense spending and nation building. Let's not forget that you conveniently left out our stance on drugs, abortion and gay marriage, as well as corporate welfare and bailouts. IMO a few of those Wall Street executives belong in a 3x5 cell for what they've done to the housing market, the middle class, and at the expense of us taxpayers. So, we're not just hammering on poor people. We are however; hammering on those who are poor and not doing anything to help themselves. Such as continuing to have babies out of wedlock, and then expecting the rest of us to pay for it, when some sort of personal accountability could be exercised the individual or individuals (as it takes 2 to tango) to avoid being in that situation in the first place. And before you try and make it a race thing, it's not! It goes for all! As I've said, there is nothing wrong with being charitable, and helping others, such as the sick, elderly, disabled, or those who are trying, but have fallen on hard times. However; you have to want to help yourself too. Unfortunately, the mind set of too many in this country is "the world owes me something, but I ain't gonna do s*** to on my end to make things better." No! You owe it to yourself to make YOURSELF the best person that you can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies