Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I went to the website and it makes it clear, government's only role is to help individuals against force and fraud. If you get frauded, why should the government help you?
You went to what website? Libertarianism is a philosophy. There is no official website, there are only websites offering opinions.

Did you even read my answer? I said the government should not help you. Please actually read what I wrote before responding again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,077,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The OP needs to go read up and not use their own personal definitions.

We have not had any "free market" anything in decades.
I know we don't have free markets, but I'm asking if we did.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM

382 posts, read 722,496 times
Speaking not as a Libertarian, but as someone who is intrigued by the idea, I think many Libertarians would say that one of the few powers a legitimate government should have is the right to protect citizens from violence and theft.

I think a distinction needs to be made between poor service ("That pizza was terrible") and fraud ("I paid for a pizza, but you took my money and moved to Mexico.") In most cases of poor service, the business owner solves the problem or faces the judgment of the marketplace (bad online reviews, profit loss, etc.) It's in the owner's best interest, generally speaking, to improve service/products or "perish."

Fraud is not simply poor service, but rather a type of theft, and if the two parties involved can't come to a satisfactory agreement, a third party might sometimes be needed to determine if the terms of the contract are being upheld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You went to what website? Libertarianism is a philosophy. There is no official website, there are only websites offering opinions.

Did you even read my answer? I said the government should not help you. Please actually read what I wrote before responding again.
I went to lp.org. Libertarians always tell me to read their platform, so I did. You say they shouldn't, but on lp.org, its says they should.

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
Quote:
If you get frauded, why should the government help you?
"Frauded"???

Hmm. Well, based on the premise of the OP and the above quote, I'd say that someone needs some more learnin' before trying to play "gotcha" games on the interwebs.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM

550 posts, read 1,283,765 times
Quote:
Why is it the job of the government to protect people from fraud? If you believe that the free-market solves any issue that government might try to intervene, why is fraud separated from that? If I sucker you into a contract, wasn't it your responsibility to know what you were signing in the first place?
We can have a legal system that's separate from government. Fraud shouldn't be treated differently than any other crime in a libertarian society.

Quote:
I went to lp.org. Libertarians always tell me to read their platform, so I did. You say they shouldn't, but on lp.org, its says they should.
A lot of libertarians think the Libertarian Party is a joke. I mean, I wish them well but they don't speak for everyone.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
Speaking not as a Libertarian, but as someone who is intrigued by the idea, I think many Libertarians would say that one of the few powers a legitimate government should have is the right to protect citizens from violence and theft.

I think a distinction needs to be made between poor service ("That pizza was terrible") and fraud ("I paid for a pizza, but you took my money and moved to Mexico.") In most cases of poor service, the business owner solves the problem or faces the judgment of the marketplace (bad online reviews, profit loss, etc.) It's in the owner's best interest, generally speaking, to improve service/products or "perish."

Fraud is not simply poor service, but rather a type of theft, and if the two parties involved can't come to a satisfactory agreement, a third party might sometimes be needed to determine if the terms of the contract are being upheld.
why should the government be involved as the third party. according to libertarian talking points, everything is best solved to the people, why should the government step in? They only get in the way, and screw things up.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Why is it the job of the government to protect people from fraud? If you believe that the free-market solves any issue that government might try to intervene, why is fraud separated from that? If I sucker you into a contract, wasn't it your responsibility to know what you were signing in the first place?
What makes you think that is a libertarian position? Are you you starting with a straw man?

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Quote:
And I disagreed. See how that works? Additionally, if you actually read the platform from that site, you would have your answer. There is libertarianism as an ideal which states how I have answered, and then there is the parties platform, which seeks to provide a realistic solution that is implementable in today's society. No implementable solution will come to pass if it says government does not protect against fraud, which is why it appears in a platform. The world isn't black and white, compromises have to be made, and the platform on lp.org reflects that realization.

What is your point behind this thread? Do you want to have a conversation or are you looking for a way to backhandedly insult libertarian viewpoints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"Frauded"???

Hmm. Well, based on the premise of the OP and the above quote, I'd say that someone needs some more learnin' before trying to play "gotcha" games on the interwebs.
I'm well aware frauded is not real word, and quit ignoring my overall point, why should the government intervene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies