Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

63,542 posts, read 29,639,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
And these 1st generation immigrants who can't/won't assimilate will be dead in a couple generations, replaced by their bilingual English and Spanish speaking children and English-only speaking grandchildren. Much ado about nothing.
Don't bet on it. Much ado about nothing? Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,235,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Guess what --- it's not those old geezer illegals putting up the Mexican flags all the time. That's the Mexican kids who are desecrating the USA flag and replacing it with their own country's flag. They may learn a little English but many drop out of school before they can learn very much.
I was talking about younger kids for the most part. I don't consider moving here a 16 and going to school for 2 years to be going through the school system, and I wouldn't expect that kid to learn much English if they're surrounded by other Spanish speakers.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Guess what --- it's not those old geezer illegals putting up the Mexican flags all the time. That's the Mexican kids who are desecrating the USA flag and replacing it with their own country's flag. They may learn a little English but many drop out of school before they can learn very much.
I think in many Mexican households it is instilled in the younger generation that the U.S. stole their land and it will continue to be preached to them for generations. It's already been well over a hundred and fifty years that the U.S. won that land in a war and yet still paid Mexico for those lands and Mexicans are still weeping over it. Much like Israel and Palestine. It's not going to go away and they will continue to try and take over via illegal immigration and anchor babies along with retaining their culture and language in our country.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
And how many late teen/early 20s Mexican kids do you actually know? Anyone who can't speak English most likely came here just recently, because any kids who go through the school system will learn to speak English.

Chicago area, by the way. Which I realize is probably different than SoCal, but the thing about the schools should remain the same.
The difference is that they will probably still prefer Spanish out in mainstream just like their parents do.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think in many Mexican households it is instilled in the younger generation that the U.S. stole their land and it will continue to be preached to them for generations. It's already been well over a hundred and fifty years that the U.S. won that land in a war and yet still paid Mexico for those lands and Mexicans are still weeping over it. Much like Israel and Palestine. It's not going to go away and they will continue to try and take over via illegal immigration and anchor babies along with retaining their culture and language in our country.
I don't buy that one bit. Huge numbers of Mexican immigrants are moving beyond the "stolen land," so clearly that isn't the motivation. The motivation is work, and I've found Mexicans to generally be grateful for the opportunity they have here that they didn't have in Mexico.

I guess that's the problem with anecdotal evidence though. My experience can be completely different from your experience.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The difference is that they will probably still prefer Spanish out in mainstream just like their parents do.
Quite the opposite I'd say, since English IS the mainstream. If the majority speak English at their school (which is the case for 99% of American schools), they will want to fit in and speak English. You know how much kids want to conform and fit in.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,507,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Many Americans are worried about the increase of Hispanic immigration and Spanish language in the United States...

Guess what! Same thing was happening with the Germans and German language. Americans were in fear over German being an official language or replaces by English but after a generation it died out. Spanish will die out as well. Many Hispanic kids do not speak Spanish fluent, and use English more.

Keep in mind that only 12% of the U.S. population have knowledge of Spanish.
There are a couple of important differences, though.

Remember, the widespread use of German ended very abruptly in the early 20th century. Until the outbreak of WWI, there were many German language schools, newspapers, magazines, community organizations, etc. The anti-German hysteria the followed America's entry into WWI ended all that, as German language newspapers were shut down and community organizations disbanded and suppressed. In many cities, German books were even removed from public libraries and burned. It is hard to imagine a sudden, single event wiping out Spanish in that way (although there have been plenty of efforts to suppress Spanish).

Even more important is that immigration isn't what it used to be, thanks to technology and the relative ease of travel. The days when immigrants had to get a boat to America and never return are over. Nowadays, we have cars and air travel. We have telephones and the internet. Immigrants can maintain social networks across borders, and that means maintaining language networks as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,015,537 times
Quote:
I don't buy that one bit. Huge numbers of Mexican immigrants are moving beyond the "stolen land," so clearly that isn't the motivation. The motivation is work, and I've found Mexicans to generally be grateful for the opportunity they have here that they didn't have in Mexico.

I guess that's the problem with anecdotal evidence though. My experience can be completely different from your experience.
Actually Mexico's middle class is growing, it's unemployment rates are much much lower than ours. Our middle class is in decline.

Far too many are coming when unemployment rates are very high here to think it's really about jobs. What we do have here though are very generous food stamps, completely free health care, free meals at schools, and much more.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Actually Mexico's middle class is growing, it's unemployment rates are much much lower than ours. Our middle class is in decline.

Far too many are coming when unemployment rates are very high here to think it's really about jobs. What we do have here though are very generous food stamps, completely free health care, free meals at schools, and much more.
Let's be realistic for a second though. Our middle class is much better off than their middle class. And their unemployment would be higher if so many hadn't moved here.

And not only is it the job itself, but the ability to move up the ladder, or the opportunity for their kids to move up the ladder that attracts them.

You can't really claim that the reason a Mexican moves to Illinois is to take back what's theirs.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quite the opposite I'd say, since English IS the mainstream. If the majority speak English at their school (which is the case for 99% of American schools), they will want to fit in and speak English. You know how much kids want to conform and fit in.
Keep dreaming. I know better. Yes, they will speak English if they have to but otherwise, no. Besides in my area if you go by a school when it is letting out all you see is a sea of Latino kids. You don't think they will be speaking to each other in Spanish with hardly and "gringos' around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies