Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,285,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Very true.

Most feminists I have met hold mediocre positions or are in the arts, making little money and doing what they want to do because they can.

Those I know who are making big bucks (surgeons, VP's, CFO's) are far from feminists. They work long hours and still take care of the kids, run errands, pack lunches, make dinner etc.

Common misconception amongst those uninformed.

Where in the feminist manifesto does it say that feminists don't pack lunches and take care of kids, etc.?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,342,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Where in the feminist manifesto does it say that feminists don't pack lunches and take care of kids, etc.?
All I am saying is that they still do traditional domesticated duties (not seen as necessary in the eyes of feminist), regardless of their position/income.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,285,536 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that they still do traditional domesticated duties (not seen as necessary in the eyes of feminist), regardless of their position/income.

I wonder where people get their ideas of what a feminist thinks. A "feminist" or anyone with a half an ounce of brains know that their are necessary since SOMEONE needs to do them.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,832,462 times
Quote:
There's nothing incompatible with being a feminist and doing traditional domesticated duties. They just won't necessarily agree to doing the bulk of it when they are working just as many hours outside the house as their partner.

And most people are feminists to a certain degree. If you think women should have the right to vote, you're a feminist. It's just a question of how extreme your views are.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,342,896 times
The point of my post was that most female breadwinners are not what I would consider feminist. I think its a common misconception.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,062,192 times
Quote:
Not necessary to eat/have clean clothes/clean house/take care of the off-spring? Since when? There is a need for it but the expectation that both parties will work 40+hours a week and then the woman will put in another 20-30 hours per week doing everything else while the man sits on his a&& is the issue. It becomes an even bigger issue if he doesn't work much. I mean really what is he there for if he doesn't work outside the home but wont do anything inside the home...is he an ornament? What purpose does he serve? Is that a really abnormal expectation that would make a woman a fem-nazi or some other ridiculous name?

How can someone make themselves obsolete and then complain when folks want to put them out on the curb like trash?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,819,844 times
What I took from that article is that men are having difficulties with the changing norm of women making more money then themselves and that men need to step their game up in terms of sharing responsibilities.

The new phenomenon of women out earning men isn't going to go away. As more and more of these young women marry the inequitable economic disparities will only increase. Men need to change with the times. We as Western societies have been struggling with young men for a long time now, higher suicide rates, failing school, failing University, getting into drugs and crime. To some extent feminism is to blame but unfortunately once you give a whole segment of society their freedom, you can never take it away. So the answer is changing the mind set of boys so they can cope in this world. And for that to happen, I believe men need to be role models for youth. It's a challenge that's for sure.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,933,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
What I took from that article is that men are having difficulties with the changing norm of women making more money then themselves and that men need to step their game up in terms of sharing responsibilities.
i'm shocked that you concluded the problem lies with men.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,819,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm shocked that you concluded the problem lies with men.
If you read my post you will see I also blamed feminism. Pick and choose much do you

Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,933,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
If you read my post you will see I also blamed feminism. Pick and choose much do you
oh c'mon, you know you edited it after my response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies